Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Perry: Talking money…
Harry: A talking monkey?
Perry: Talking monkey, yeah, yeah. Came here from the future, ugly sucker, only says “ficus.”

Even though he had his fair share of problems, including a nasty drug addiction, Robert Downey, Jr. – a very controversial actor – succeeded to overcome it all and make a great comeback by playing in low budget movies such as A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, or Good Night, and Good Luck. Movies in which his performance was top notch.

Another low-budget movie in which RDJ showed everyone he has real acting skills was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, a black comedy inspired by the noir movies of the 40s. It’s true, it performed poorly at the Box Office, but financial success shouldn’t be the only aspect by which we should judge a movie.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is narrated by Harry Lockhart, RDJ’s character, a petty thief from New York who ends up impressing a movie producer during an audition. It doesn’t even matter that he stumbled into the room because he was trying to run away from the cops after a failed robbery. This is comedy, remember? Harry gets flown to Hollywood, where he has to learn the tricks of the trade from “Gay” Perry (Val Kilmer), a private eye with a very developed sense for irony.

In a way, Downey portrays the type of character we’ve seen playing over and over again, with some variations: Iron Man, Sherlock Holmes – reckless, exuberant, crazy, and somewhat goofy.

Of course, something has to happen. And it does. Harry and Gay Perry end up being witnesses to a murder. Oh, and Harry meets with Harmony (Michelle Monaghan), his high school sweetheart. Only that she needs his help to find out why her sister committed suicide.

As cliché as it sounds, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang does offer a roller coaster ride, with its countless twists and its fantastically humorous dialogue. Consider the following statement as biased, because this one is my favorite movie ever, but I consider Downey’s performance to be his best so far.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is well worth your time because it isn’t trying to be more than it is, more than it achieves. It’s not life changing, it’s not going to make you cry, or even laugh your ass off, but it’s well worth seeing. At least once in a lifetime.

B-Movie Actress: So what do you do for a living?
Harry: Uh, I’m retired. I invented dice when I was a kid.

9 comments on “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

1. atothewr says:

One of my favorites as well.

2. jonhailepr says:

I wish more people new about this one. It's fantastic. I really think that Val Kilmer is really who makes the movie, and I'm glad RDJ and Shane Black are working together again on Iron Man 3.

3. Ryan McNeely says:

This is a classic; pure comedy gold. Also, probably the only time you'll get to see Batman and Iron Man make out.

4. Thanks for sharing this. I have to check the movie out. I love Downey and Kilmer.

5. madverity says:

I love this movie! They also have a great bit on 'bad' and 'badly'.

6. kdefg says:

An earlier RDJ movie I love is "Restoration" which shows how much potential he had before his spiral. I adored him on "Ally McBeal" too, and am glad he had so many people take a chance on him during his recovery. I may need to rewatch "KKBB" soon.

7. Emmica says:

One of my absolute favourite films!

Perry: Look up "idiot" in the dictionary. You know what you'll find?

Harry: A picture of me?

Perry: No! The definition of the word idiot, which you fucking are!

8. I have never heard of this movie, but I really like RDJ, he is a brilliant actor. I watched the trailer and now have to buy it.

9. Holly C.S. says:

This is one of my all time favorite movies. It's a well written, well acted, well directed film that is lovely from top to bottom. It made me re-fall in love with RDJ and I think it was to him what PULP FICTION was to John Travolta. It brought him back in a great way. It's also a brilliant love letter to Noir/Pulp films. Also this happens: "I'm for Genaro's, but then, what do I know? I'm a bear. I suck the heads off of fish." Love it.