I am an artist because…

There’s a part of me that believes art to be a primordial aspect of the human condition. Art inspires, art is a way of achieving greatness, of building a better world. Art turns strangers into friends. Without art, without artists, we wouldn’t be ourselves anymore.

Because I feel that within the confines of any artistic form of expression, we allow ourselves to wear a mask. The artist hides behind words or paints or brushes. And he feels safe. He can be anyone he wants to be. His freedom is limitless. And he plays this bizarre game of hide and seek with the rest of the world, constantly changing the rules, until he decides – maybe on a mere subconscious level – to  be himself, thinking that people will never find out.

Being an artist is a way of finding out who you really are. Because as much as art is about observing the world around you, about turning yourself into a shadow, art is also about introspection, about confronting the most terrifying of truths.

A part of me wants to believe that I was born an artist. That it was my inexorable destiny to become a writer. I can’t see any other way, I can’t see a different path. It makes being an artist something special. The world can’t stop me, simply because I am who I am. There’s nothing that can define me more than being an artist. It’s simple, it’s easy to understand, and it adds an almost transcendental element to art.

When you start thinking like that, you immediately see signs. Symptoms. Like the fact that you always knew you were alone. You felt solitude in a more poignant way. Artists are not introverts. They are just alone. And every handshake, every person they meet, does nothing to destroy the feeling that they’re alone. And when you’re all by yourself in a quiet room, that’s when you feel that you found yourself. You know who you are. There’s no doubt about it. And after a while, you want to spend hours and hours hidden away from the world, rummaging through your mind for those elusive dreams that always evaporate into the craziness of a busy street.

And then you find more symptoms. And the more you drown yourself in a world that doesn’t really exist, the less you are willing to come back.

Like I said, only a part of me thinks this is true.

Because I often find myself asking this simple question, “What’s the difference between a kid who always wanted to be a writer and a kid who always wanted to be a doctor? Or a sailor? Or an astronaut?”

If we are as free as we like to believe, then it makes sense that we are free to choose who we want to be. And then we set out into the world to acquire the knowledge, the wisdom, and the experience we need in order to become the painters, the dancers, the actors, the writers we have always dreamed of being.

We need a reason for everything we do in life.

Like Andy Warhol said, “Don’t think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it’s good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.”

***

Because my August Giveaway post has been quite successful,  it’s only fair that I answer my own question.

177 comments on “I am an artist because…

1. chopnchat says:

I do love this…exactly what is trolloping around in my brain…

2. kanzensakura says:

I am an artist (didn't do the Facebook thing because frankly my dear, I like doing blogs better and get tired of people letting me know they are watching TV or have an appointment or blast me with pics of their babies/grandchildren/dogs with bows in their hair)….Hennyway, I am an artist because I hide in plain sight. Not a chameleon that changes constantly to suit with whom they are but rather, a camoflage specialist who blends and remains true to themselves. Alone as you say but not lonely. In plain sight but invisible until I choose not to be! Most excellent post of yours!!!

3. Andy Warhol was so right.

4. disperser says:

I thought it was the craving of boundless adulation . . . that we'll have someday . . . soon . . . maybe.

5. Ceativity is certainly one of my motivations in doing my painting, and model making. Plus in what writing and creative gaming I do.

6. mrsdeboots says:

I love that you can express this in a non- cheesy fashion. As always, very well said.

7. You are an artist, Cristian! A laureate!

8. swozy says:

Hi Cristian,

I like your quote from Andy Warhol – it makes sense to just do what you love doing a leave people to make their own minds up.

Also, your mention of feeling alone. I can relate to that too and it's comforting to know that in that, we're not alone.

Great writing. Thanks for sharing.

SWOZY

9. What IS the difference between someone who considers himself an artist, and someone who has always wanted to be a doctor, cowboy, astronaut? What secrets are they hoping to discover? Or do they not perceive life in that way? That is the question for me. The shame is that there are people who have no hope, no curiosity, at all. What a waste. Is there nothing that we can do for them?

10. Gosh…!

Christian, you hit the nail on the head…! As a writer, actor, artist, and charity entrepreneur, you very eloquently summed up my life experience in this post. I have always felt 'alone', yet connected, but never really thought of it that way before…

Ant

11. I am an artist because I am a work of art by God. All that I see and all that is in me in an artistic design to create an artistic purpose. Yes! I am an artist

12. luggagelady says:

Dear Cristian,

Yet another delightful read! I adore your line about "those elusive dreams that always evaporate into the craziness of a busy street." As a writer, who happens to be a flight attendant, I'm always running back to my jumpseat to write down some observation or witty comment before the fatigue of a long day swallows it whole. Thanks for sharing your keen insight!

:) Luggage Lady

13. Brian Garner says:

Good morning Cristian. I enjoy your blogs very much. This one I found very stimulating as there are areas in which I agree with you and also areas where I do not. Using my own life experience, I had tried many different occupations and jobs that did not work and yet I was still a Church organist and choir director, a position I had held since I was seventeen.

I was very fortunate to discover music therapy. Now I am able to spend my life using the talents that God gave me and whereas there are times I lose myself in my music, much more numerous are the times that I really find myself through sharing my music with others- an interesting dichotomy.

Thank you for your blogs.

Brian

14. Cody says:

Beautifully said. I was going to add to the conversation but I realized I recently wrote a post about some of my thoughts on art and poetry in particular, so I'll just link you. I really enjoy the blog. Cheers.

15. vanbraman says:

…. I need an outlet for my creativity. How I express that creativity can range from writing, graphics, music or the spoken word.

16. As always, eloquently written. Alone. That is so true. I always feel out of place around people, longing to make deep significant connections but that rarely happens in group settings. I'm always much more connected with myself and the world (in a spiritual sense) when I'm alone either with my work or my thoughts.

17. I agree–with you and Andy Warhol. Though, even if a writer gets to hide from others behind the mask of creativity, it is necessary to reveal yourself to YOURSELF. That can be the difficult part.

18. amoonfull says:

This is so beautifully written. As an artist myself, I embrace this wholeheartedly.

19. Holly Payberg says:

Love this!!! "Art is a way of building a better world" I really believe this is true. It has the power of bridging cultures, creating new conversations. And I totally relate with the feelings you expressed about being an artist. In fact, I wrote about it in my blog awhile back as well. I am of the opinion that we are born artists which inspired me to write this http://hollypayberg.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/bein

20. I can really relate to the 'alone' part. Before I entered art school I spent a year in my parent's basement just creating without much distraction. My room was a chaotic sea of paint, canvas on the wall and various pieces of life that didn't make sense to anyone but me. At the center was my single foam bed where I lay alone in my thoughts. When I created something I thought was genius, I felt as if every molecule in the world was in perfect harmony.

21. tazeinmirzasaad says:

your writings take my breath away, I cried,when you commented about the solitude of writers,I feel exactly the same way, it's like you touched my soul!!

22. Another great post! The fifth paragraph is so true, absolutely true; it's great.

23. Chris says:

Inspiring.

24. I agree with everything you have written… I would like to add that maybe the artist seeks to dwell on a different "plane of existence" from everyone else…because everything is so damn boring otherwise. Not hiding from the world so much as elevating to a different "sphere" where time is no longer present. Like being in the "zone" (which I seek when I paint as I am sure writers, musicians, etc. seek also). Sorry, I am not a good writer…hope this makes sense.

25. I think you're right, I think all of us in some ways hide behind masks or roles or ways of living that have been handed down to us or thrust upon us, until we find that core being of ourselves and give expression to that.

I also think of myself as an artist/writer, but one of the ways I best expressed myself was realizing the dream to sail around the world. It wasn't just a trip, a way to travel, a way to explore the world, it was something deep inside me that loved the ocean and wanted to be deeply immersed in that experience of living on the sea. In some ways it released my soul, it allowed the writing to flow out of me.

But I like to think those who are called to become doctors, or lawyers, scientists do so because at the core of their being is the need to express themselves through healing, pursuing justice, unveiling the mysteries of life. We have to continually go back to that core need, core being, to live authentic lives, because the wiles of the world and its expectations and obstacles continually pull us away. I find the angst of publication draws me away, the expectation to build a platform, researching markets . . . . none of us are immune to those distractions which are also the process and price of being a part of grand, messy spectacle of life.

I resisted having to blog, as I was told I should do to be a viable writer, but then found it was the perfect medium by which to express things I could never do in fiction or poetry. Now I see blogging itself as a core expression of who I am as an artist.

Thank you for your thoughtful and thought-provoking posts, for starting conversations we all can share.

"Living on the Edge of the Wild" http://deborahbrasket.wordpress.com

26. g0ddamn1t says:

beautifully written <3

27. Sometimes only other artists can understand each other. We have a lonely job, but it brings light to so many people. It's a path that, once someone finds themselves on it, they never want to leave.

28. Wonderfully stated. Following one's calling, or dream, is essential to a life well-lived. Freedom in one's life, allows one to discover who they truly are.

29. Zagan says:

Very well written! I agree with this as well being an artist and a musician. Getting lost, so to speak, in your art is very subconcious. You feel that it is your one escape that no one can take away.

30. Who are you and what are you doing inside my head? Very astute comments for one of recent birth. Nicely said, Cristian!

31. Wonderful final quote. Artists can hide behind masks, but it is a mask of exploration, rather than projection. I think art is a way of playin with the energies wihin each of us- and there is a sense of discovery, even for ourselves, when these internal energies are expressed externally. Thanks for the inspiriation today.

32. Great post Cristian! Great points made and ones that I think we can all relate to.

33. crowgirl11 says:

The difference between those who feel compelled to be an artist and those who are chosen to be a doctor for instance is that on a basic level, the artist will be much less likely to reap societal rewards and on a more complex level, the artist is communing with symbols, occult energies and the mysteries of language and so their task is harder and stranger. The important thing yes is to make and not to stop making.

34. Tenwyg says:

''he plays this bizarre game of hide and seek with the rest of the world, constantly changing the rules, until he decides – maybe on a mere subconscious level – to be himself, thinking that people will never find out.'' I absolutely love that line. Its something I always like puzzling about with myself, and you captured it perfectly!

35. Well put, don't just plan, do!

36. I love the Warhol quote. Perfect.

37. Imelda says:

While the artist tries to hide behind his work, his work also reveals who he is.

38. Alissa says:

I can absolutely relate to this. Even as someone who has been on and off the rails my whole life, I've never been anything but an artist. I can also relate to feeling alone. I've often wondered, though: isn't everyone, in a sense, alone? Maybe artists are the just the ones that pay enough attention to know it. I think it's part of our job! Anyhow, well put; it's nice to feel alone with others! = )

39. Doris says:

Beautiful

40. lovely post.

my son age four loves tractors, and wants to become a farmer. When he was 2 we lived in a small town and the garbage truck was a tractor. i don't know if that is what made him love these farm machines so much? He see me making things, so recently he started saying he wants to build his own tractor. We try to encourage his interest so we take him to farms etc. When he found out that farmers use a lot of tractors he said he wants to become a farmer. Will he still want to become a farmer in the future? Will he change his mind at age 9, 16, 21? And if he does change his mind will it be because of disillusionment?

I wonder what i liked when i was four? My dad says i used to pretend that a mop is my friend and that my washcloth is a mermaid, so is that why i love sculpture or living in my imaginary world? Like you I wonder what makes someone wants to become an artist and others something else….Maybe we are born a certain way, or maybe it is those very first impressions at a very young age that molds us?

What do you remember from before age 4?

41. granbee says:

I am an artist because I cannot help myself!

42. Zagan says:

Reblogged this on Zagan's Blog and commented:
    Absolutely love this one. From someone in the art world to another…

43. Grace Emma says:

Reblogged this on aspiredtoaspire and commented:
    So very true.

44. drewpan says:

I agree with a lot of that, except the always feeling alone part. True I feel alone a lot, but I've met quite a few other artists (especially having gone through art school) that I'm on the same wavelength with. We might have different ideas, but the basic wavelength is the same and thus I don't feel that alone at all.

45. It takes me longer to get to your posts because I want a serene enviroment for contemplating on your eritings. This time more than most have hit a cord in me for I longed since childhood to be an artist and when I' m in that mode feel unattached to the world that can be lonely when I'm surrounded by those who do not share the same passion for art.

Another great blog!

46. daydreamsinwonderlan says:

Floored by how wonderful this is. You really have a gift. I've echoed some of these same sentiments myself. You really seem to understand not just your own craft, but writers themselves. We are all alike in some strange way. Yet so beautifully different in our styles.

47. Eliza Shane says:

Reblogged this on Eliza Shane and commented:
    Well said, Cristian!

48. Thank you for this wonderful piece. I enjoyed reading it. I look forward to reading more of your work.

49. tanyaloots says:

Beautifully written, looking forward to more

50. bosanaad says:

Reblogged this on The Sanguinary Blade and commented:
    As always beautiful posts, that gives one a lot to think about and ponder !

51. coconutspeak says:

I couldn't agree with you more. I see art as a form of immortalit. To me, art and history are one in the same. As a lover of world history, I must have access to museums. Art is history, in the physical sense. All forms of art are necessary to show that as humans progress in technology, we remain flawed, vulnerable, amazing and brilliant.

Please read my blog. I would love your opinion.

52. Absolutely magnificent. I don't think I could have said it better myself.

53. Vralo says:

This is a really great post.

I just finished my Bachelor of Fine Arts last year and without fail whenever anyone finds out about my BFA the first thing they ask is "so.. What can you do with that?"

I don't think people realize how important and vital art is to our world and your current society.

It's fun to see people's eyes widen as you explain to them the impact that art has on their lives, and they didn't even realize it. People ignore the luxuries they see around them on a daily basis and brush them off as unimportant wastes of space.

Take something away, someone notices it's missing, and misses it. Add something, they'll stop and reflect, then it disappears and they will probably never notice it the same way again.

54. Mere says:

I can relate, and this helped me make peace with my choice to embrace the truth of being an artist: http://youtu.be/86x-u-tz0MA

55. volvelle says:

Beautiful post, and a very important question.

I remember I quarreled with my teachers when we had our (poor!) art lessons in school. The teachers had a very constricted view of art as something cut off from the artist, and as the art cut off from society/humankind. The segmented school system offered no lessons based on the connection between history, art and society, and between ourselves and the creative flow.

The fact that art involves playing is overruled by school tasks that control the student by making him think and analyze what he is making, and what he has made.

The reason why we do art is because it’s a natural drive.

The thought of art as something secondary or non-important is created by a society that does not acknowledge people as whole beings, and a society where the prime motive is making more money. The drive towards your Self unfolds whether you are a cleaner, a physisist, a scientist or a musician, poet or recipe writer.

Happy people make their life in creative ways, no matter what career (or lack of career!) they choose.

I trust the globalization and evolution process of this earth; we are certainly heading somewhere, hopefully for the better.

As more and more come in contact with their core, what do they choose as most important in their life?

I believe that when people search for the truth, they come in contact with their creative ressourses.

56. Caitlyn Pollock says:

Love this. Well said.

57. I feel being an artist is an act of courage because creating is one of the most vulnerable things I can imagine doing. In my perspective, it's not hiding, it's being as out there as one can be. I see creating as one way to push back against the destruction in the world. Every act of creation is life, not death.

58. tanushree says:

I am an artist because -

I can make people smile with a lovely line

I can bring tears to their eyes with my emotions

I can bring a small change in this world by making people aware,

I can make you think about something by the words woven into a delicate web of a poem!

Alas I can create a parallel world and make your heart yearn to be there!

59. baconandfriess says:

Beautiful.

60. dizzy says:

Yes, you most certainly ARE, Christian!

61. lynnwyvill says:

This is a wonderfully well-written and thought-provoking post. I especially like the paragraph about "symptoms."

62. I think I'm better as an artist because of the people around me – that's how I get my energy as well as my inspiration. My five-year-old daughter just does art. I think that we're all different – and unfortunately the artistic function (for wont of a better word) is disabled in most people, by being never allowed to flourish. I agree that this is a thought-provoking post.

63. Matt Amick says:

Excellent post my friend! You captured the portrait of the young man as a writer very well!

64. What a beautiful, thoughtful way to put it…. I love this. This is why I dance.

65. fannycleaver says:

Is it that artists are more alone than others? Or is it that everyone is really alone, but it's just the artists who are self-aware enough to know it?

Beautiful post, Cristian.

66. domtakis says:

I like this piece as well, it made me consider reality and perception when it comes to art. My question would be this: if you believe "our emotions and dreams are amplified by our art", would you also take the leap and believe that these states and dreams that we inhabit in solitude and creativity are just as "real" as the streets we walk down? Some would say that thoughts and dreams and flights of fancy are unreal and focus on the concrete but if these states give birth to creativity are they not just as real? To me it feels more natural to perceive things as in a state of becoming rather than as a finished product. Any thoughts?

67. One of my favorite quotes is by Tennessee Williams. "When so many are lonely as seem to be lonely, it would be inexcusably selfish to be lonely alone."

68. Alex Diaz says:

Math is art too, no? I think art is more of a process rather than something full of paints, lines, points, and planes (or words and notes…etc).

69. Richard William Posn says:

I understand. Completely.

70. Funny thing about art. It is defined by the person and not the dictionary.

71. What makes a great artist? « Wed-Gie says:

[...] I am an artist because… (cristianmihai.net) [...]

72. Nisma Rafiq says:

simply superb, It's like you've given words to every artists' thoughts.

well done

73. dianabletter says:

I decided that even if nobody ever reads another word I write, I take great pleasure in the act and art of writing. The moment itself becomes a sacred space. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. And everyone, keep creating joy through art!

74. I'm sharing this on facebook because you have revealed my soul in your own admissions.

75. Dan says:

Cristian,

You write very well.

I wonder if the impulse to explore through creation is simply one of the fundamental elements of human existance? The artist, in that context, is just an indicidual who is especially true to the basic longing that lies within each of us. The artist is the one who obeys his impulse, and so becomes still more human.

We're tool-makers, storytellers and dreamers, after all. Some are gifted in special ways, of course, empowering them to become more effective than the norm in some creative capacity. And of that number, some actually respond to the call and are transcended.

Thank you for your perspective on this age-old paradigm. Thank you for the neat contest. Will follow, and look forward to more of this high-calibre material.

Dan

76. You've woven these words into a piece of art. It's really inspiring and quite something. Salute to all artists and artist at heart, and you too Cristian! :D

77. justlynne says:

Both of my children are artist; both are writers. Way better than me. Right now if my 13 year old girl was awake she would proof read this post. (She says my grammer sucks) She also takes the best pictures, her best works are in black and white and plays the flute. She also draws, but she calls it a hobby. My 21 year old son writes, paints, draws and plays the best base guitar. Both uses their talents to every day life.

Andy Warhol had the right idea. I could not have said it better.

78. sheokhanda says:

Beautifully written and nice thoughts. I feel the same and it is such a genuine feeling. To escape from reality to make your own rules. In short to be FREE.

FREE of bondage.

FREE of expectations

FREE of lost love

FREE of questioning

FREE of earth bound relationships

FREE of rules

FREE of judgement

FREE of sorrow

FREE of desires

In short on path to attain the eternal spiritual nirvana.

To create what one wishes to create, to sustain what one wishes to sustain and to destroy what one wishes to destroy.

To be truly what you are deep down inside. Through writing I try to do that and maintain my blog. As per my mood and liking I write and no body will dictate to me what I need to write and when.

That is desire of a true artist. To be FREE.

79. piabesmonte says:

I'm an artist because I refuse to be categorized, to walk within the confines of identity the world has set for me in my birth and upbringing.

80. [...] am an artist because… Aug7 by Cristian [...]

81. evenstarwen says:

A teacher once said to me that writers need some sort of separation from the world, an ability to view it from a distance and comment on it. I've felt that this is true even in my internal world. No matter what is going on, part of me is always observing, questioning, analyzing myself, even while the rest is grieving or celebrating or falling in love. Your post rings true on so many levels. Well done.

• maverick7 says:

It is impossible to discourage the real writers – they don't give a damn what you say, they're going to write.

~Sinclair Lewis

82. Beautiful! I hope someday I can convey as much meaning through my writing as you do.

83. I love that quote! And I love everything you said – so true about finding yourself through art and when you're alone. How you get sucked in and you're fine/comfortable with this fantastical world you've made which isn't reality. And I love that bit about art turning strangers into friends! Also, here's something I just read: "EARTH without ART would be only EH…" ;)

84. belfrylove says:

I think you're talking about a particular kind of artist, though. Skill and passion are two very different things and art, and the end of the day, is just another skill like building cabinets or fixing cars.

85. What's the diffence between a student without a dream and scalar quantity?

86. kayebee says:

I really love this post. I definitely agree "that without art, without artists, we wouldn't be ourselves anymore." I always feel the need to submerge myself into color and the imagination to feel sane and explore the infinite realms of nature.

87. This is so very true! I was born in 1967, and at the age of 4 I knew that I wanted to be an artist, and due to the expectations of people surrounding me, took a different path. And in between all that time dabbling in my craft, making art, I decided to go back to school 3 years ago and finished my degree in art. Today, I am trying to make a living doing what I love to do. I finally feel connected to myself in my little box of studio painting. Doing what is true to my heart!

88. qiquan says:

Dear Cristian

Pablo Picasso once said Art is a lie that makes us realize Truth. But, without interactions with the society, and being through various life experiences, how can we understand the truth? For me, I think life experiences, inspirations not from artists alike, but from every little things in life, and every simple mind in the society, that mold a deep soul that has a tremendous volume when he speaks. A lot of good books were written based on their imaginations that has roots in their life experiences. Painters like Picasso too, are not spending most of his time alone, except one is in the process of creating, and being creative.

I ask myself a little bit more, what is the thing I attain after realizing the truth, or meaning? Knowledge, or wisdom perhaps? But all of us, can only have a glance of heaven through a little hole, like Newton once said, a child who pick up a seashell at the beach, with the ocean of truth lie ahead of us undiscovered.

An artist to me, is the one who opened up all his six senses, and to brief in the air of the World.

I am not an artist, I am a scientist, may be I am not exactly right, just my little thoughts.

Thanks for the inspiring article.

kc

89. YX_QIAO says:

Well written! For artists, to live is to create.

90. David Addison Yoon says:

Interesting article.. love this !!! :)

91. Aroog says:

seems like u know me :)

i m really impressed with this piece of writing and it does depict me.. and it is a huge success of urs to make ur readers believe in wat are u saying

92. Very well said. People believe that being alone means that you are companionless, but artists always have those in their head as their friend.

93. "His freedom is limitless", very true.

94. Guided by passion…the need to create…

95. Cloud says:

Very inspirational, and very much true!

96. THIS. THIS. THIS. :)!!! I am glad to see that this is true. This really struck me because I admit I am kind of lost in my art– more of in a hiatus stage. I haven't drawn or created any artwork for months. I am not so sure of my direction anymore. But this really reminded me that, as long as I find that passion again, rekindle it, my art will set fire.

"Artists are guided by passion, by the need to create. And our emotions and dreams are amplified by our art. Whether a conscious decision or not, in order to be an artist, one has to create art." :)

97. What you have expressed here went straight to my heart and spirit and aristic sensibilities. I must share this … it speaks such truths so eloquently about the artist's path .

This is so perfect:

'Artists are not introverts. They are just alone. And every handshake, every person they meet, does nothing to destroy the feeling that they’re alone. And when you’re all by yourself in a quiet room, that’s when you feel that you found yourself. You know who you are.' Thank you for sharing, Cristian!

98. Chris says:

I like your thinking on this subject, it brings to mind something one of my old lectureres at art school once said, "Every artist is really just making the same piece over and over again. Every time they produce a work it is another version or fragment of the same ongoing peace of art."

She said this to me in response to my reflections on the fact that I couldn't seem to escape certain stylistic elements in my art no matter how hard I seemed to try and step outside my normal methods of artmaking.

I have to admit it helped me to relax. I stop stressing and beating myself up about becoming stale and repedetive or not being innovative enough and just let my instincts and enjoyment guide me again, which has been a good thing for me and my art.

99. Well said. Always a pleasure reading your beautiful prose.

100. chopnchat says:

I know…on my personal faves list as well "big big smile" :))))

101. evyjourney says:

I am both a painter and a writer and can't help smiling at why you think you are an artist. Being an "artist" is very individual and, sometimes, one is an artist for very mundane reasons. Yes, there is transcendence and romanticism in art making. But art and writing are both work, although we want to think of either as an act of creation. "What art is" is something I have been mulling over for quite a long time. See this post, for instance: What is Art, Really? Part 2. The Missing Urinal: The Politics of Artistic Success at http://www.eveonalimb.com

102. Great insight in this post. I can relate to this because of the authenticity in your "voice" when you speak of being an artist and why art is important. I look forward to reading more from you!

103. carlissandre says:

Very inspirational to all artist. The conviction you show about being an artist encourages all to just be who they are

104. so true. art is a key part of our lives. we are all artists!

105. I have always felt that art was a necessity, rather than a choice.

106. Cristian, what a brilliant post. Your article put into words what so many of us artists feel. It was all at once inspiring, truthful, and moving, and I am so glad that you are making you and your voice heard. We are all very lucky indeed.

107. hippiehead says:

You couldn't of said that any better! ;)

108. niyomarx says:

..when you sit down…to create..most of the time..you just,,, throw out all the pieces, but the beauty is that at the end ov it all you nail it… take of uncertainity becomes certainly wonderful..####

109. Art is one of those crucial aspects that separates humans from other other animals. I 'm not talking about evolution, or anything like that, but merely the fact that humans are not only one of the only species that are self aware, but also one of the only known creatures that produce art.

Therefore, I believe that it is indeed deeply ingrained in the human condition, as you said, and artists should be held in high regard.

110. koisevilla says:

I can really relate to the "Alone" part –I feel that all the time..And it's not because we are lonely or we don't have choice… It's just something that is. I love this post…I love love love this post and I'm glad I read it.

Thanks for writing this one.. UH-ZUM!

111. koisevilla says:

Reblogged this on psyKoilogy and commented:
    I cannot begin to fathom how I can explain the feelings that I felt when reading this post. I am in awe… As I read this post, I felt as If it was talking about me…about some things that I feel but can't really explain.
    I am an artist – I don't know why or how I believe that I am but I know and feel like I am.
    I consider myself an amateur writer but it doesn't matter because writing makes me happy. I come home to writing and I find my place in it.
    Thank you Christian Mihai for this very cathartic piece… It is only fitting that I share this!
    I feel blessed to have read such great prose…

112. I so resonated with what you shared…that we can't be other than what we are. As the heart of you draws you to write, to share what is in your heart…for me it is in speaking and sharing of spiritual ways, connections and most importantly, community.. However, while writing does require me to be in a place of being alone with my own thoughts, it is the driving sense of 'community' that rules my heart, my spirit. I found that sense of 'spirit' in your writing. I was very touched. Thank you!

113. You have echoed my thoughts here. I can connect to these lines so well….."Artists are not introverts…they are just alone….." Right on!

I am a doctor who chooses to follow her passion alongside. Even after meeting hundreds of ppl in a day, i feel alone and find myself most comfortable in the seclusion of my room writing poetry.:)

Kudos to you for writing such a wonderful post. Thankyou!!!!

114. Yes I love to hide behind my paintings….[smile]

115. You are an amazing writer. This is exactly how I feel as an artist, but I could never have said it so perfectly.

116. udumark says:

Amazing!

Thank u for sharing!

117. tonycampton says:

Dam Boy "get out of my Head"

118. Love this: "Artists are guided by passion, by the need to create. And our emotions and dreams are amplified by our art."

119. This so paint the perfect picture of me … I love it!!

Be Blessed in all your artistic ways of using word to paint and express :D

120. Nicely written. The question that comes to my mind is this one; if we need a reason for everything we do in life, need we be conscious of it? May it also be so that the understanding of our reason, our drive unfolds through our experience of doing? Because beautiful art is not always purposefully created. Just a thought. Looking forward to reading more of your writing.

121. Doug Oldfield says:

Very well written. I really enjoyed the post.

122. Valentina says:

I can relate with the question of what is the difference between a kid who wants to be an artist, or something else. At times, I wonder, if I had not taken the path of an artistic field, what would have of me. I would have been really lonely.

123. jiltaroo says:

Your site is brilliant Christian. I will certainly enjoy keeping up to date with your thoughts on art. Andy Warhol had the right idea and so did the person that wrote the following

"Be who you are and say what you feel…

Because those that matter…

don't mind…

And those that mind….

don't matter."

Cheers to you, Jen

124. jefferyrn says:

You are an artist. That is why I started blogging. I am a writer. I want to be an artist.

125. Deb Sistrunk says:

Intriguing post! I've been around artists for years. Now I have a better understand of how you and other artists think — including my daughter. :-)

126. Archana says:

interesting post !!! :)

cheers

archana

smileinstyle.wordpress.com

127. toniracell says:

Incredible.. you truly captured the emotions of an artist. I, too, feel as if I was born an artist. I loved this post.

128. Great post. Many comments as well, as it took a while to scroll down :).

For me, art is escapism. I like to believe the world is beauty, or at least interesting. I like to believe bad things only happen in stories. That's why I like tragic stories – because in real life, you shouldn't have tragic endings. (That's not really a causal relation, but you get my point I hope.)

About that being alone, maybe everyone feels that somehow. I don't know. I know I felt it, but maybe that's just because I'm an artist? I'd love to believe that :).

129. i told my dad about how i was "sharing my writing now" and he asked "oh yea, and what do you hope to gain from that?" we tribal sit, understand the gyre, and look within without other desire

130. rahmasghaier says:

"Art turns strangers into friends." It's so true :)

131. Art is usually deemed apropriate for only a few number of people. We tend to think of the artist as someone "different", a visionary, that seems to have a special view of the world that no one else has. Some sort of unique sense, even unique among artists, which makes each of them independent creators.

But then the question inevitably arises: what exactly is that gives that person a special sense of what surrounds him? Is it something acquired, or innate?

I personally don't believe in born artists. I believe that being able to look at things from a different angle, and therefore coming up with previously unthought ideas is only a matter of exploring oneself. The artist is the one that has been able to wander (indeed, like the Wanderer above the sea of fog; it is also one of my favourite paintings) throughout his mind, or spirit, or whatever is found inside him. The one that has the capacity to explore himself and to judge what he sees inside, will be able to look outside with new eyes.

This is also the reason that an artist is constantly wearing a mask throughout his creations: it's simply the barrier that exists between the outer world and his inner world.

Anyone can become an artist if he is able to introduce his mind to his spirit.

132. …..blends and remains true to themselves. I like that…..Looking for what the situation is needing (blending) while being natural and a part of (plain sight but invisible)

133. Paula says:

I wouldn't call it a mask though…. the artist pours himself into his work… there is no hiding in there.

134. flimflamflik says:

Love your style young man. You are 'beyond your years'.

I never liked Andy Warhol. He was a pretentious arsehole. My belief is that nobody but the artist need love their work. Anyone else loving it is because they are appreciative or can identify something in the work that speaks to them. This is great.

Asking everyone to be a judge is asking to be judged – especially on your own creation…something personal to you. If you have this mindset, you need not concern yourself with what others think! :)

135. [...] Cristianmihai Rate this:Share this:EmailPrintFacebookStumbleUponPinterestLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. [...]

136. Sadhu says:

Reblogged this on My Life Journey and commented:
    i'm an Artist.

137. I believe you were given the ability to move past reason in your art and in your writing. You say you are hiding from the world through your art and don't always want to come back to the world outside. I can see how that can happen. but it seems to me you are expressing your inner world through your art. You are sharing your very self with others who are willing to look behind the paint and words to the person.

138. Julie says:

Reblogged this on The Shop Sampler and commented:
    I don't really like the idea of "reblogging," but when I read this article I'm thinking I may have been wrong. I could never say what this gentleman says so well. He deserves to be not only read by everyone, but followed, too! I know I am!

139. Vyne says:

As far as I know, there has never been a better feeling of accomplishment than doing that which we do with less energy because for one, that is what we were born for. Amazing!!!!!! I'd share this to a 100 friends (a promise)

You should read this too: Dear You, That Wasn't Dinner… That Was My Heart. http://wp.me/p2I4el-1h

140. pussonalamp says:

So, not just womb-envy then?

Seriously though, you got me wondering if a machine could ever be an artist. Maybe – paradoxically – it could have been in the past but now it's pretty much impossible, or at least highly unlikely.

In the past, some kind of AI device might have been built and it would have had your essential property of 'being alone' in itself. But now it's too late. Such a machine is – these days – almost certain to be created already networked with others of its kind.

141. Amazing, inspiring blog! I am happy I found about you! See you more often :)

142. I found myself in every word of your description of the artist. All the reasons why we do what we do . Brilliant post!

143. mariee89 says:

thats a very wonderful words..art is an amaxing gift to the world n as i once read "art is you being free from all the world heaviness"

144. labrynthe says:

Honestly speaking, I do not really like the word "artist" but I do like how you transform thoughts into written (digital in this case) words. It is like turning the intangible into something that is [almost] palpable.

145. One thing I absolutely love about blogging is posts like this. Whenever I'm feeling down about my writing, or can't seem to get anything on paper, I know that you, or another blogger with deep insight like you, has posted something that will help me get my butt in gear and have faith in my ability to do what I want. I loved your "perks to being a writer" too and was thinking about printing out that list you'd posted and hanging it near my desk. Thanks for the inspiring shove, it always helps.

146. kbfotografix says:

I am an artist because that is the gift that God has given me. Everyone is given gifts of some kind, mine is to see and imagine and create. I don't paint or draw or shoot photographs as a mask and I already know who I am. I create because that is what I was created to do, and to not do it would be to deny the one who created me.

147. I like some of what you have to say but I really disagree with your idea of an Artist hiding behind art. It's quite the opposite, an artist exposes himself whether in paint or words. When one paints its an expression, demonstration of what one feels at that time. Yes it can be an extension of what one has seen but that idea is personal. Sorry I can't explain my stance in a more eloquent way.

148. hannahbumble says:

They have no direction!

149. c m wilson says:

I know this reply is months after you've posted, but your comment stuck out at me….I'm getting my MFA in writing and people ask me the same question: What will you do with that? I say, I'm going to WRITE…People who haven't gone through some form of higher education, especially in the arts, can't possibly understand what it is we learn, can they?

150. Cj says:

Thanks for this thought provoking conversation. I am glad to see other writers consider themselves "artists." I long to have my words considered art, though as a non-fiction writer, I struggle with HOW to do that. I have some wonderful role models. I think "Out of Africa" is one of the most beautifully written books ever. The post that prompted this discussion was beautifully written. I have block to calling it "art" for some reason. I always think of "art" as paintings and drawings. Would love some insight if anyone is interested.

151. Narelle T. says:

I love it especially the mention of symptoms and what makes us so different from everyone else. I feel both sides as well. well captured

152. mafsteve says:

Wow, but not all artist build a better place, some artist build a scary world,some paint a sober world…it all depends on how the artist feels and what he wanted for his audience to feel

153. arrayahloynd says:

Love it! And from one artist to another…..thanks for liking my blog!

154. Drawinglife says:

Hi Cristian.
    There is so much to say about being an artist…is quite a challenge and and accomplishment taking yourself for a walk and having a “good friends talk,” the one diving in candor where nothing is left unsaid…
    I am not sure we chose to be artists, sometimes it seems that Art chooses us…for whatever reason!
    But, I am sure you would agree with the idea that when Arts casts it spell, is almost impossible to say no…
    Thank you for following….

155. kjarts2013 says:

I paint therefore I am
    Simplicity

Nice one christian

156. shanuwater says:

Whoo! I got tired from trolloping ( galloping), around in your dream, I am hopping off on cloud 9. Catch me on your way back :).

157. tamerofwords says:

Fascinating, what you’ve described is something I too have felt but never could put into words. Well done.

158. You’ve very succinctly and beautifully expressed things I have felt since childhood and much better than I ever could have :-)!

159. cgcoppola says:

Hi Cristian,
    I’ve just recently (as in a day or so ago) found your blog and find it both inspirational and beautifully written. (thank you!) So… I love writing. On days that I don’t, I actually get quite depressed and I think that’s because those are the days I don’t really breathe. See, for me, I believe you’re born an artist. Some people are born to be mothers (several of my friends), some are born to help people and some are born to create. I think it’s a spark we have, an unyeilding flame that we need to fuel consistently. And if we don’t, that suffocating blackness emerges in that terrifying question we all ask ourselves when we’re lost: “what’s my purpose? why am I here?” I’m glad to know other people share the spark too… and aren’t afraid to fuel it.

160. Muskyduck says:

This is a comment I posted just a while ago on the topic of photography and art. I really enjoyed your thoughts and “artistic expression”, you’re very talented for such a young little boy judging by your profile pic…or maybe you just age well.
    My view on “are you an artist”
    There is art in all of life, sketching,painting,photography,cooking, bodybuilding, etc and the decision of who does it well or with excellence is in the mind and eye of the beholder. Maybe who we are is mistakenly described from a passion or interest we practice and exercise, some have many talents, interests,skills and passions but shouldn’t who we are come from a deeper place within. God is the creative artist responsible for all of life but when asked who or what is God? the answer is The all knowing all powerful omnipresent force of love and life. For years I struggled with who I was when I placed the need for a talent to describe me. I have many interests and do many well, I also do many terrible and enjoy them just the same. I have come to the realization that what I do is not who I am but rather an activity to practice and enjoy as I live and breathe each day. In that realization I have discovered who I am. I am a woman brought forth into this world by a loving God who desired a loving relationship with me and all of you. As a loving parent wishes for their children to care and know them this is the heart of God. As a parent gives gifts to a child to use for their benefit and others this is the desire of God. If you rely on your physical actions to dictate who you are then what if you should lose your ability to function. Who would have thought asking “what are you” photography or artist could prompt such intricate discussion.

161. dewinnefol says:

Hey Cristian. Thank you for sharing the immensity of your artistically poetic vision with a world so desperately in need of redemption. One finds a huge comfort in ‘listening’ to the voice of individuals like yourself who seek solidarity with like-minded others in whom the values of Love, Compassion and Empathy move them to expresses the sacred and the profane. Surely, it must ultimately be the Artists, Writers, Poets and Visionaries who carrying their laptops, cameras, pens, brushes, and painting tools as Staff’s of Redemption herald a time of awakening for all mankind as they lead a world from darkness and in to the Light…

Beneath the clods of earth,
    On heavy long-closed lids,
    Something begins to follow
    Like an upward, outward surge
    Towards an unseen Sun;
    And the eyes washed clean
    Cleared and cleaved and
    Finally opened to the very source of Light and Love.

On my own, I am only Human. But together, we are Humankind.

So why am I an Artist? It is because I am a Spiritual agent of Divine Love with a Camera and a Computer.

One World, One Love, One Light

162. “Artists are not introverts. They are just alone. And every handshake, every person they meet, does nothing to destroy the feeling that they’re alone. And when you’re all by yourself in a quiet room, that’s when you feel that you found yourself. You know who you are. There’s no doubt about it.”

Christian, when I came to this part of your post, I could feel the tears well in my eyes. You so beautifully articulated something so personal to my experience, but I always thought it was just me. I will say I’m shy, or awkward at cocktail parties, or more comfortable articulating my thoughts and feelings in the written word than in the spoken – but I never thought about these characteristics as perhaps being common to “artists.” I would rather spend time creating anything than attending to the mundane tasks of daily life. I stay up to the wee hours of the morning when immersed in a creative process, which is more often than not. My mind is constantly seeking new ideas, new inspirations, new knowledge to help me in defining who I am as an artist.

Your post helped me to realize that my “aloneness”, my enjoying my own company, isnt strange — it’s simply a wonderful part of what makes me who I am: an artist.

Thank you. Your post has made a profound and wonderful impact.

• I do that from time to time. I enjoy the company of others, but… well… once I was at this party and I was writing a novel in my head. Line by line, kept repeating the lines in my head, imagining the scenes. It felt like a better way to spend my time.

163. Brilliant! Creative Genius! You speak with such clarity what so many creative people feel. Thank you for sharing your incredible gifts in such authentic expression.