NaNoWriMo

One more month until NaNoWriMo starts. More or less.

For those of you who don’t know what NaNoWriMo is, we’re talking about a competition that takes part in November. The goal is to write a novel. 50K words or more. That’s not so bad. It’s like 1,600 words a day or something like that.

I found out NaNoWriMo in 2010, when I also found out about self-publishing, and decided that it was time to become a writer. Yeah, and I decided that it’s better to just write in English. To be honest, I don’t know what I was thinking back then, but I managed to finish a novel and ended up self-publishing it a couple of months later.

I was young and naive and incredibly stupid at the time, so I wrote a bad novel. But you know what they say, practice makes perfect.

I’m sure some of you will want to take part in this. You get some stuff as well… last year Createspace offered 5 free paperback copies of your books (you still had to pay for shipping though). Two years ago, they offered a free proof. And there are many other cool stuff you get from other sponsors as well.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking. We should do something together, like a thing to keep us motivated. Well, to keep you motivated while I procrastinate peacefully.

Well, not really. My idea was to write a new novel. And then publish it. For free. Like for free, forever. I’m not sure if I’m going to post stuff here or not.

But if anyone’s interested in taking part in NaNoWrimo, we should definitely get together (online, because I’m sure I live some thousand miles away from any of you) and discuss technical stuff, like planning and outlines and whatever. We could also pretend that we’re army generals planning an invasion.

We could conquer the world. Or we could just try.

What I like most about NaNoWriMo is that it’s supposed to be a stress-free activity. You’re supposed to just write. No questions asked. And it’s cool. It’s simple, it’s easy. Sometimes it’s fun.

So, what do you say? NaNoWriMo or no NaNoWriMo this year?

152 comments on “NaNoWriMo

1. haramiru says:

Heh, not me. I've gotten to the point where I can reliably do 500 words a day, so I'm going to just stick with that and coast along.

2. Can't remember what year I did Na no whatsit. There were no freebies back then though. Just a boring badge to put on my blog which I didn't bother with.

But if there are freebies involved, I could be up for it. And peer group support sounds a good idea. Separate blog for it or forum on nano?

3. neelkanth says:

Thanks. I, as one, would love to join.

4. Pete Armetta says:

Good luck Christian! :)

5. Hey Cristian, I'm planning to do NaNoWriMo this year, though not to write anything as literary as you. Would love to be part of your 'online' network, what with living in Aus and all :)

6. I have yet to figure that out. But I'm sure we can think of a way we can all keep in touch and post updates and complain and stuff.

7. […] NaNoWriMo. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Tags: writing […]

8. itsjennythewren says:

Would love to but not sure how much tine i have- trying to find time to read, draw or write as it is :( good luck tho will hope to do it nxt yr x

9. Wow, thanks a lot for drawing my attention to this, I'd read it mentioned by others in passing but never really knew what it was…I will certainly check it out.

10. pixiepot says:

I started NaNoWriMo last year but it ended miserably. My school work was being piled on top of me yet, despite having almost triple the amount of work this year, I'm ready to brave NaNoWriMo this year!

Good luck to you, Cristian!

11. elskenewman says:

I am planning to do it but not sure how I will be able to fit it around work and my 19 month old girl. But I will definately try! I like the idea of doing it together.

12. Laura Ann says:

Count me in! x

13. Jennifer R. says:

am in! am interested and i don't know where to start! XD

14. I tried NaNoWriMo a couple of years ago and although I only wrote about 16 thousand words, I didn't think I failed at all. It loosened up my creative juices for my Big Project ( ongoing battle with that novel!).I have a brother who is an editor and his word of warning to me and any other NaNoWriMo writers is to realise that I should see what I have written, as a first draft only. He pointed out that many people make that mistake and think they have written the oevre of the century in 1 month. And get disheartened with the rejection! So anyone out there trying this for the first time GO FOR IT and then revise revise revise!

15. findingmycreature says:

I discovered NaNoWriMo in 2010 as well…I how can you not do it again?

16. I've been wanting do do NaMoWriMo since I heard about it two years ago. The only bad thing is that I will so busy during November (University). But I have an idea for a book, so I guess I just start writing and if I don't exceed the 1600 words a day, I will at least start writing again. :)

17. I'm doing NaNo this year and would love to meet some more people for writerly discussions. Also looking forward to hearing about your vampire novel!

18. b.h.quinn says:

I'm about 90% sure that I'm going to NaNo this year. I'd be interested in an online writing group. I haven't been able to find one that fits right in Hawaii.

19. I'm really hoping that I cando NaNoWriMo this year, but since I'm also starting the first year of my Creative Writing degree, I'm not sure I'll be able to do it. :( I have a synopsis planned out already, but I still need to work on character bios and things like that. Do you think I should go or it anyway? :/

20. shrey says:

i would love to take part in this competition but i don't have the time ths year unfortunately. Got my final exams of class 12 coming up.

21. Maia says:

I'm in! this is the first time I'm doing it too! I wrote a post about it on my blog. I'm ready to be creative and let the juices flow. Tell me where to sign up?

Ps-since you started with nanowrimo, what were the next steps you took to publishing your own books?

22. […] NaNoWriMo.  It’s that time again!  I’ll leave it to Christian to fill you in on the details. […]

23. Practice doesn't make perfect. "Perfect practice makes perfect." If you practice bad techniques, they will become ingrained. Those bad techniques will become your standard operating procedures. I have commented more in length about this in an essay that I wrote soon after I began battling a mild case of aphasia due to a stroke-like occurrence caused by a burst blood vessel in a benign meningioma attached to my right frontal lobe. The essay was entitled "Words Are More Like Cats Than Dogs." The essay may be found on Aphasia Corner blog at http://aphasiacorner.com/blog/living-with-aphasia…. Now three years later, on some days words still don't come to me when I call them.

24. Since I last read your blog, I went into the ThINKING stage and haven't posted a thing! But it sounds interesting…..

25. bethpow06 says:

One chapter each? Sounds interesting!

26. Not sure.

I credit nanowrimo with a lot of things (getting me back into writing, beginning my blogging journey, 5 wins, a husband…)

I'm currently editing my first nano from 2004. I've been editing it since I rewrote it in 2009. I plan on using nanowrimo to help me get 3 short side stories written (~50,000 words each), but I don't know if that'll be this year or not. My user name is Ceraphym on the site. =)

27. blsmadden says:

I found out about it last year, but couldn't do it as I was studying rather intensively for a Japanese language test. Fully intend to give it a go this year, and both my parents are interested as well – two people who became doctors who should really have become writers :) A national novel writing month group would be fun and useful, I think.

28. ginac4 says:

I would love to but can't this year. I wish you all good luck!

29. Christina McCalla says:

Hmm…it definitely has my interest. Let me know if you start a group! :-)

30. uglyrunnerfeet says:

I always intend to do NaNo but life gets in the way :( November is a tough month!

31. kingmidget says:

A blogger support group may be something that would motivate me to give this a try again this year. I tried it years ago and got to about 20,000 words. Tried a couple of years later and didn't get very far. I have two novels I've started. I could focus on one of them and see how far I could go to completing in November.

32. Twila Godinez says:

I'm in! I've tried for the last several years but have always had too many interruptions. Hopefully this year I can keep with it and reach my goal!

33. Jay Dee says:

I tried NaNoWriMo last year, and lasted only a few days. Unfortunately, I could get very little time to do it, and when I did have time, I had no privacy and no quiet. I really want to, though!

34. bethkalet says:

Love NaNo… and would love to be a part of a group effort this year. Does this mean everyone signs on individually? I think it will energize me in my other ongoing projects! Thanks for putting it out there.

35. mambolounge says:

Best of luck to you, Cristian. Hope your novel won't interfere with your blogging, as I really enjoy following you.

36. havannahliz says:

Reblogged this on havannahfrost and commented:
    Uhhhh I pray to a good writer, so I could write here =]

37. ewcharmon says:

This sounds do cool! I'm in!

38. Raven says:

Ugh. Does anyone have advice for NaNoWriMo-ing for working single parents? I don't want to be a 'but, but, but…'' person, but if anyone has a strategy that worked for them I'd like to hear it. Thanks in advance. :)

39. Vicki T says:

NaNoWriMo is the vehicle I'm using to finally sit down and write my novel, so I'm definitely in! I've been wanting to do it for years now but because of school etc it never happened. Not this year. This year, I'm so doing it. :D

40. Christen Anderson says:

I just signed up for it, actually!! I'm planning on doing it, but since I'm gonna be gone the first half of November, I'm not sure if it will work out…

41. Vasilly says:

Good luck with NaNo! I'm not going to join though I may trying to blog every day in October.

42. NaNoWriMo deffinatly! What is your NaNo user name? Mine is: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/purplest

Last year a wrote a romance, basically because it was easy and I knew that i wouldn't get too stuck. Need another 500 words or so? Make them kiss!

I want to do something different this year though. Something cool. Maybe sci-fi or dystopian …i haven't really had time to think about it yet. Its scaring me already! NaNoWriMoians can rule the (writing) world!

43. I wish I could. I teach full-time and bring work home too. How I wish…. Good luck to all of you! Keep me posted on your progress.

44. Mary Ann says:

Maybe this is just what I need to get that novel, that's been sitting inside my head, onto paper!

45. Larry Who says:

Nay to NaNoWriMo. (Say this three times fast.)

46. vanessagobes says:

i'm curious. will look for your updates. :-) peace!

47. KLP says:

I'm a NaPoWriMo guy myself, but November is more or less the half-anniversary of April, so maybe I'll join you with a poem a day. :-) Good luck!

48. I'll give it a shot. I'm also thinking about checking with the high school english teachers to see if I could lead/organize a NaNoWriMo writing group for any high schoolers that would like to participate.

49. Did it last year (wasn't brave enough to publish it, though). Will do it again, but sadly my life will not allow it this time around. Good luck to you all and happy writing!

50. Olivia Wilde says:

Wow. I have heard a LOT of excuses why people are NOT doing NaNo, and few people who are participating no matter what…here is my reasons FOR doing Nano… despite my heavy schedule I am going to participate in Nano regardless…I think you MAKE time for the things you really are invested in. It is a time when thousands, if not millions of writers, are focused on the same goal…to write…how cool is that? Like a huge runner's marathon, but with writers. It gives me a chance to talk with other writers and see how they think and plan… how they approach writing and better ways to do it. It's a writer's support group. It's fun! And, Nano made me sit down, focus, and really write. I completed big writing goals for once…because I stopped all the excuses and just wrote. I wrote my first complete novel with NaNo and my second…and my third. I think I started in 2007 or 2009, and I completed 2010 and 2011. I have published non-fiction articles as well because of Nano. I have created 7 blogs because of Nano. I am teaching how to create blogs at the local library and junior college next month. The whole purpose of Nano is to stop the procrastination and the excuses and just focus on writing…for ONE month. You can do ANYTHING for one month. You just got to be in the right mindset and DO IT. Don't allow yourself to be sidetracked with negative thoughts… like I don't have the time, I got to do this or that, etc. Most writers have a very busy life full of obligations and still manage to write everyday. You can too. No one said it would be easy. But, everyone has the same 24 hours a day. Figure it out. Then do it. Five minutes here and five minutes there. It all adds up. You are right, if you don't have the right attitude…you won't be able to find the time to write. Face it, it's becasue you aren't invested in BEING a writer…you are invested in DREAMING about being a writer. That's what separates the dreamers(aspiring writers) from the writers (people who actually write). Nothing wrong with dreaming…I love to dream and it helps with "pre-writing" thinking and planning…but, it doesn't get any words on the page, now does it? Students and parents and other "busy" people have found ways to manage their time, meet their obligations, and still write. Because they are driven…because they can't NOT write. They can't see themselves NOT writing. No one said it would be perfect or you had to be perfect. No one said you HAD to reach 50,000 words or you would turn into a pumpkin at midnite on November 30th. And, really now, if you had time to post here, then you have time to participate in Nano. Come on people! Follow the Nike commercial…and just….do it ! Writers WRITE. Let's do this! :-)

51. Richard Bown says:

Been very tempted to do this for a long time – perhaps this year? If I wasn't doing a million other things… how many words a day was it? *puts it on the back burner* *looks at it again* *sighs*

52. oliviaobryon says:

Nanowrimo got me going originally too… But, I have to say, I feel like I write better when I slow the heck down and actually reread as I go. Do you feel this way or are you able to produce work you're proud of without looking back? Either way, I plan to still participate in some capacity again, I just might not have 50k words be my goal :)

53. Jonathan says:

I might do NaNoWriMo this year. I published my first book this year (this month, in fact) and I'm definitely going to publish more books.

54. This will be my first year of doing nanowrimo. I'm excited to try. I've hooked up with one other newbie at the site itself, but I'm always open to a group to join to chat, complain, cheer each other on..

55. So funny to wake up and find this blog. I was just lying in bed planning out the religious belief systems for my si-fi novel that I'll be writing this NaNo. I already have an outline for it, but it needs to be embellished because I've fleshed it out more in my imagination. I find half the prep for NaNo is just to get totally obsessed with your idea for your novel, so by the time November comes around, you are just chomping at the bit waiting to write the darn thing.

I even thought of a cover design this morning.

Viva la NaNo!

56. The C-Sweet says:

I have no idea what I'm doing – never tried anything like this before but I"m in…

57. Linda Thorlakson says:

Hmmm . . . I'm intrigued! Might be a great experience for somebody like me who spends WAY more time rewriting than writing . . . speaking of which, I'm gonna post this comment QUICK (before I succumb to the temptation to rewrite it several dozen times).

58. I'm not sure how to update this thing so everyone can see it. But what do you say about a Facebook Group? Maia came up with the idea, I think it's pretty good.

59. If I had something to say, I would join.

These days, I have less to say because it seems that I've found what I'm looking for in life and just want to enjoy it. The cerebral self has a way of owning your life–and years slip by and your realize that you are a decade older and have been lost within your own mind instead of actively living your life.

And so, maybe I'm a minority on this, but I don't think anyone should do this project unless they are really compelled to say something…like publishing a story that plays in your head like a movie and you'd rather watch your own movie that someone else's, or like putting an incredible biography out there, or revealing a life-altering discovery, or sharing useful information that can help others.

Writing for the sake of writing can steal some of your life. So, Nano away if you have something to say. ;) ~Sonya

• orgoh says:

I really get what you are saying but I feel that in reverse…there is so little time in my life to think that by forcing myself to find the time to write I may even find I had something to say

60. I'm going to try my best to do NaNoWriMo. Getting involved will certainly give me the kick in the butt that I need to get my writing going. Hey, it worked the last time!

But I also am more busy this year. Working full time had taken a lot of my time, so it will be very hard to squeeze in 1,600 words per day – or any words, even. So I will try my best and do what I can. But I don't think I'll give up halfway through. If I do, I better have a good reason such as time constraints.

61. darlingink says:

I've not hear anything about this at all. I think I'm keen to be involved. Very daunting, but I think it might be just what I need.

62. 2010 was my first year with NaNoWriMo. Last year, I helped my daughter write a story. Not sure I'll do it this year. I'm still working on that 2010 book. I'm toying with the idea of reworking it into a series of short stories instead since my main issue was the continuity of the main plot line. I'm also working on another book. My goal is to have that one finished by Christmas.

63. brett79 says:

I participated in NaNoWriMo last year (and Script Frenzy this spring). I'm planning on giving it a shot again; I didn't finish my novel the first time, so just getting to 50K words will be a huge feat.

64. dste says:

I'm not sure whether I'll do NaNo this year. I tried it last year mostly because I'm co President of our school writing club, and I wanted to encourage our members to try it. The problem is that I'm already working on a novel, and according to the rules it doesn't count if you continue working on an existing one. So in this case, I feel like that might be counter productive.

65. Emma McCoy says:

I have a fear of commitment but I really want to say I'll do it

66. supashmo says:

I think I'd love to do it, but this year makes it impossible. I'm in school at the moment and this semester is easily the most grueling. Add on a job and other responsibilities, this year is not good. Fortunately, it's also my last semester, and once life settles down a notch, I can get back to writing as much as I have before and love to do. I may challenge myself to something like this after the first of the year, just to do it, without having to wait for November (and who-knows-what kind of busyness).

67. I've been procrastinating NaNoWriMo for years now, sadly. I'm going to dive in this month and do it. I have some ideas floating around in my head, so if you want to work on something together, send me a message and let's talk.

P.S. I'm glad you enjoyed the quote that I put up!

68. Leah says:

It's funny how I juuust looked into this the other day and then you blog about it. Maybe that's a sign I should do it. :x

69. ewcharmon says:

A Facebook group seems like a really good way to keep in contact with each other. My vote goes for that!

70. Monica Lee says:

I'm so glad you reminded me of NaNoWriMo! I did it (most of the month) about three years ago, and some of that copy eventually made it into my memoir. I'm in!

71. ljr3 says:

I like your idea of getting everyone together for NaNoWriMo. Will you post some things here for those of us who don't use Facebook or could you have a separate wordpress site just for NaNoWriMo? Best of luck with the group!

72. adamjasonp says:

Stress free? I get stressed out just thinking of "50K words"!

73. Shibu Nair says:

Awesome..I read two of your short stories, memento more and one at a stretch. Great work. You really got the magic with words and the substance to go forth, a dream which I always had. Please let me know how we can Start the nano wrimo together

74. I am going to do NaNoWriMo this year too! This will be my fourth year. I self published each novel from the competitions and I will be the first to tell you they aren't perfect, but I love them. As a writer I think it is important to have a writing project that reminds you why you love writing, why writing is fun. I love the idea behind just writing furiously for a month. The end result won't be perfect – but the journey is a hell of a lot of fun. I would love to be in a writing group.

75. moxyjen says:

Just to clarify, it does have to be a novel? I can't be a non-fiction piece of any kind?

76. moxyjen says:

It's possible that I'm interested, but I've never written fiction before.

77. Oh, I'll be celebrating NaNoWriMo, but I'll be doing it by putting a whole ton of effort into my projects so that they can get finished and published someday.

78. Maia says:

How awesome is this? I love that you started your writing career with NaNoWriMo. When you're passionate about something, just take the next step and go for it.

I'm also doing NaNoWriMo this year and plan on joining your online group for motivation and support. You can check out my own post about NaNoWriMo here if you life: http://guerrillagraduate.com/2012/09/11/nanowrimo

79. I've been NaNo'ing since 2006; such a great experience every time. One of my favorite parts is feeling like I'm part of a world-wide event, for as solitary as writing is. Have a wonderful run-up to the big event!

80. Amber Dane says:

I have thought about it

81. Margy Rydzynski says:

Reblogged this on Collectables and commented:
    Yes? No? Maybe?

82. Gus Sanchez says:

I am definitely taking part in NaNoWriMo this year. I'm currently outlining my project, and will continue to do so for the next 31 days. So, yes, I'd like to be a part of your NaNoWriMo network as well.

83. mercury205 says:

I've been doing NaNoWriMo since 2009, and I hope I can do it this year, but I'm not certain. I'm sure as hell gonna try though….

84. I wondered if anyone may feel differently and like listening to different perspectives. But this view feels random to me (but I'm not you, so who knows?)

Writing makes me feel alive, but I've come to believe that the privilege to write (even when practicing the stream of consciousness method) comes with responsibility to have purpose and real intent to accomplish a life project when producing text or prose…or else possibly waste your life in a state of a cerebral stasis. It's my view at least. xx ~S

85. Jessica says:

NaNoWriMo is awesome! I first heard about it in 2010 as well and successfully reached the 50k word mark. Though I haven't done it since, I still have fond memories of trying to develop a story in just thirty days. Best of luck to you in the challenge!

86. i'm so doing this. let me know if/how that group thing works out, i'd be happy to join!!

87. luckygrrl says:

I'm in. I have the first act of a screenplay I'm dying to adapt and finish in novel form. This might be the motivation, or kick in the ass, I need to actually get this project done.

88. My stomach is doing flip flops thinking about it, but I've been planning on taking part since last November, so I guess it's time to gear up mentally. Thanks for the reminder!

89. tinker3333 says:

50,000 words sounds daunting, but if a number of you are forming a group in which everyone contributes a little, I would like to join you!

90. I never could turn down a challenge. I'd love to try it. Never even attempted a novel before, but I suspect it's about time.

Christian, in addition to numerous other business-type skills, I' m project manager. If you need back up on operations, logistics, data tracking, editing, deadlines, coordination, etc., let me know.

I look forward to learning from you all!

Thank you!

91. A couple of years back I did something akin to NaNoWriMo, but instead of a novel, I wrote a novella. I was more comfortable with the number of words I had to write per day, and was able to complete my draft while my other writer friend stumbled, fumbled, then stopped because couch to 50K is a difficult task, even when the 50K is run with fingers on keys instead of feet on pavement.

I might do it again this year, depending on how quickly I crank out a script that I need to write in October…

Best of luck!

You all have my support.

-H

92. notmyyearoff says:

Good luck!! That's quite a challenge but you Love writing do will
    Be a worthy achievement for you!

93. I completed NaNoWriMo last year and finished my first novel. I hoped to be done my second novel before now. Looks like I need the pressure of NaNoWriMo after all. Good luck to you and all who take up the November writing challenge. I'd like to be a part of this group.

94. Joanne Maidment says:

Everywhere I start Nano and everywhere I dont finish, I am not sure where to start this year, so maybe yeah we can join up and keep each other focused towards that drawing in of 50k words

95. jasonoruairc says:

I'm interested. Let me know about the group please.

96. I'm in. Just created a profile. Will start tomorrow. 50k words = about 1615 per day so roughly 6 pages double spaced I think. Not sure how many days I'll hang in there for but I'm up for anything that progresses me to something more!

97. Wow, what a way to get it done. I suppose if that were the main thing you did for a year that would be possible. I know I can't make that kind of dedication this year but it's inspiring for myself in writing my own book, which I've wanted to write on firing your agent as a model.

98. looseleafbri says:

I had heard of NaNoWriMo but never knew what it was. I would be interested in this just to get my writing started. Fun!

99. Gonna try perhaps! Your post excited me;)

100. elskenewman says:

Very true, I'll definately give it a go!

101. Rupert says:

Sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot!

102. janaybrun says:

Would love to participate in this. Thanks for sharing.

103. Yeah I'm in. I've been meaning to do it for the last few years but kept getting distracted by life and other things. But I've got a WIP that I've been slugging away at for the last few years so it's time to open a blank document and start again. Hopefully this time I actually finish it, so mutual support would be great, the rewards they offer don't count so much as just finishing the book!

104. jazzytower says:

Alrightie then, what's one more iron in the fire? I'm in.

105. Tarina says:

Haha, I'm already on NaNoWriMo, aiming for 50k words. But I'm on the Young Writers site. Found out about it this year and looking forward to November – although it's great hanging out on the forums beforehand too!! Have fun :D

106. Well, maybe, maybe I'll wait until next year! good luck to all who persevere.

107. Dawn Rae says:

Hi, my name is Dawn and I'm a Nano addict. I work and in a sense am a single 'parent' in that my 84yr mother lives with me. I've completed 4 Nano's so far and am gearing up for my 5th this year. I aim for 2000 words a day which leaves me 5 free days in the month for other things (theoretically). My writing time starts around 10pm (when everyone else is in bed and quiet reigns) and sometimes I have to force myself to stop at 2am. Once I'm in the zone the rest of the world doesn't exist. When I start each Nano I'm quite slow, averaging about 500 words an hour, but as Nano progresses the pace picks up and I can get about 1000+ an hour. I don't do much planning, just have a vague storyline in my head when I start (too much planning kills the joy of the adventure, trust me). I recommend Nano founder Chris Baty's book 'No Plot? No Problem'. An excellent and amusing guide to writing the first draft in just 30 days. I bought it after my first Nano and wish I'd had it before :) The most important thing about Nano, I believe, is to enjoy the ride. And remember, even if you only write e.g. 15000 words, that's 15000 words that wouldn't have existed if you hadn't tried.

108. Hm, someone I met in the summer told me about their experience of doing this. I'm very tempted to try. I don't have facebook anymore though so can't join your group, I'm afraid.

109. Reblogged this on Mermaids Singing and commented:
    Reblogged from a favorite blogger of mine –
    interesting and an exciting challenge, to boot!

110. JDCencak says:

Oh frack, it is October already?

I think I'm going to have to pass on NaNoWriMo this year. My schedule definitely doesn't give me the chance this time around. Good luck to all of you who will give it a shot!

111. Valentina says:

Christian, the idea sounds good, but I will not tackle another book at the moment. My book #3 has just been published three days ago, I am burned out for so much writing. I will just take care of marketing the new book and continuing blogging.

112. I did Nanowrimo for the first time in 2007, wrote 2,000 words a day, and stopped the minute I hit 50,000 words because I just couldn't figure out where I was going with the book. But it was a good experience and gave me confidence as a writer. Before the month of November was out, I had applied for a job as arts & entertainment editor at the local newspaper. I kept signing up for Nanowrimo every year since, but never got very far, as the newspaper job took all my time. I was laid off this year, though, so might give it another try, even though I am busy with freelance work. It can be a good experience, even if you don't get a novel out of it.

113. interstitial_squirre says:

Add another 'yes' to the overwhelming response you've gotten; I've been planning on NaNo for a little while and I start my outlining today. What's your first step (or what was your first step when you did NaNo)?

114. Linda Thorlakson says:

Don't know how you'd feel about having somebody join the facebook group who is writing non-fiction, rather than a novel. Although I wouldn't be able to officially submit my manuscript, I'm totally up for the word-count challenge (as well as offering and receiving encouragement). Besides, my favorite works of non-fiction read like novels so, for the sake of my manuscript, I couldn't be in better company!!!

115. thoughtbaker says:

Interesting idea. I would be up for trying to conquer the world with you, well with the "we's" that are forming up. Or at least, finding out more about this project and this 'think tank'. And thank you for bringing this to light.. I had never heard of NaNoWriMo before.

116. L.G. says:

I've known about NaNo for a few years now but hopefully this is the year I actually write one, thanks for the added motivation :-)

117. orgoh says:

I can see your perspective and in some ways my idea is tangential to rather than diametrically opposed to it. I'm hoping to use this experience to "jump start" my thought process again, similar to a car battery that is dead. If I can get my engine running again I hope it will charge my battery which is very flat these days. Blogs like yours are like a spark to help that. x

• Oh–I get it. Once you start writing you begin recharging…sort of the same concept as the electric car that recharges itself as it is being driven. So cool and this is inspirational stuff. Thank you for encouraging me. xx ~Sonya

• orgoh says:

Thanks for listening. Nobody has commented yet on my page so it is nice to interact – the 'like' stats feel like a Tango ad – a drive by surprise pucker from an orange painted man.

118. Martina Scholtzova says:

Hi Linda – that is exactly the purpose of the group, please feel free to join in :)

• Linda Thorlakson says:

Thanks, Martina (feeling welcome when you're not officially on the invite-list is even better than being invited in the first place!)

119. I haven't completed my profile yet, but I noticed that there are forums and groups. Ought we create one of those in addition to a facebook group? Not everyone uses facebook (I don't – long story, unrelated to anything here.) and it would be disappointing to miss out…

120. Sean L Jones says:

Reblogged this on Ptilopsis Design.

121. Didn't do it the last couple of years but I think I'm going to do it this year :)

122. I'm really excited for it. Writing has always seemed like a hobby to me. Something inaccessible as a profession unless you had the next Harry Potter. Buying books for a living I also saw just how much was out there. The best thing about NaNoWriMo is that it strives to stop you from being afraid of trying.

123. lefuzzysocks says:

Hey, Cristian, I would like to be your writing buddy for NaNoWriMo 2012 :) If you are interested, I think it would be really fun :)

124. Jane Risdon says:

Reblogged this on Jane Risdon and commented:
    Will be entering this week I hope. Did it last year and managed 52,000 words. Great fun and very satisfying to do…..good luck everyone.

125. Nicolette says:

I have at least tried to start the challenge every year. Admittedly, I tend to fall of the bandwagon for one reason or another, usually work and school tire my brain out enough. This year I am a university senior an internship and eighteen credits, extracurricular commitments, and I am leaving for Japan before November will be over. I'll still try it again, and all of the above sound like excuses, I know!

My goal for this quarter was to have poetry published, though, so my writing hasn't dissipated yet.

126. suziereads says:

I'm in. I'm doing NaNoWriMo with my seventh grade English class, so the more encouragement the better!

127. Tsahraf says:

I did Nanowrimo last year, and it was quite fun. It was a Time travel Fantasy Horror Romance Mystery. I could watch the story improve, and my enjoyment of writing it.

I may do it again this year, but I certainly will do some large writing project.

128. kabir says:

Reblogged this on kahatkabirsuno and commented:
    I think I'm going to do this!

129. […] Mihai wrote a blog post about NaNoWriMo so here is a >> Link << to his […]

130. I hope I can. I've been looking forward to out since Nov 1st last year! ;-)

131. Lissa says:

I'm finally doing NaNo this year! I tried one year but just after I started an immediate family member passed away and I lost all interest in it that year. I'd completely forgotten about it until I began reading about it a month or so ago when checking out other blogs I follow. So count me in!

132. contrarybaroness says:

I punked out last year, but hey, I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm in!

133. mfh80 says:

i have no idea what i'm doing, but would love to take part in this.