iCancer: Crowdfunding an Anti-Cancer Virus

Today I received this in a newsletter from Indiegogo:

“Researchers in Sweden isolated a virus that successfully attacked cancer in mice. Then, because of a lack of funding, the virus was put in a freezer before it could go to human trials. Now, a team in London is crowdfunding an effort to get the treatment ready for testing and make a potentially world-changing scientific breakthrough. If you have a million dollars and change laying around, the team will name the virus after you — but even a $25 contribution will make you a part of medical history.”

I think this is quite a big deal. Cancer is a big deal. In a way, it’s the disease of this century. It’s something undeniable. You can’t close your eyes and pretend that it doesn’t affect you. I know some people like to do just this. They watch the news, they see all the tragedy and pain, and then they turn around and say that this can never happen to them.

But cancer is a real threat. And you don’t have to suffer from cancer to be affected. I’m sure many of you have lost friends  or relatives because of this disease.

And if there’s a chance to get rid of this disease once and forever, I say, “hell yeah, let’s do this.”

You can find the campaign here. You won’t receive bracelets and stuff for your money. Of course you can donate $1,618,000 and they’ll name the virus after you.

But I think that you shouldn’t be giving away money for bracelets or other perks. You should give money away because you want to change something, because you believe wholeheartedly that this disease deserves to be defeated.

There are 38 more days left. So far forty thousand dollars have been raised.

Many of you might think that such a worthy cause will surely raise the money. Many of you won’t feel the need to give $25 of your hard earned money just because someone else will do it for you. But what if everyone else feels the same?

You might feel that your contribution, whether is just a simple mention on your blog or a share or a tweet, isn’t going to change a thing. But it does. Every little step matters.

I believe we all want to change the world. Now we can change it together.

34 comments on “iCancer: Crowdfunding an Anti-Cancer Virus

1. [...] iCancer: Crowdfunding an Anti-Cancer Virus. Share this:FacebookStumbleUponTwitterRedditDiggPinterestPrintEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. [...]

2. [...] iCancer: Crowdfunding an Anti-Cancer Virus. Share this:TwitterFacebookLinkedInLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry was posted in Science and tagged anti-cancer virus, crowdfunding, iCancer by Laura M. Lloyd, Ph.D., J.D.. Bookmark the permalink. [...]

3. wordsaver says:

what my penny can do? I believe somebody rich will give the money

4. Not that I'm against people donating to this – I think it's a brilliant idea and I, personally, wish I had a million quid, not to have my name on it but because it would go a long way – but I would have thought it's this type of thing charities dedicated to fighting Cancer would put money towards. Or is that just being naive?

5. sounds like something I'd donate to if I had the cash. Just got to wonder, though: do you really want to be named after a virus? I mean, what if the virus has a strange side effect on humans, like in "I Am Legend?" Then you'll be demonized for unleashing this monstrosity on Earth.

6. [...] iCancer: Crowdfunding an Anti-Cancer Virus. Share this:StumbleUponDiggEmailRedditFacebookPinterestTwitterLinkedInLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. [...]

7. Jennwith2ns says:

Thanks for posting this. Money's tight right now, but I myself had cancer, and what you say above is true.

8. Thank you for sharing Cristian… I have taken a look at the site and will be making a contribution. My Step Mother, cousin and several friends have died at the hands of this dreaded disease and we are still nowhere closer to ridding ourselves of the threat. I welcome any possibility of cure.

9. To The Point Reviews says:

Reblogged this on To The Point Reviews.

10. [...] is inspired by a recent post from Cristian Mihai where he makes a compelling plea for support of a cancer reserach [...]

11. Reblogged this on The Bohemian Blank and commented:
    reblogging this! Ermagerd!

12. fransiweinstein says:

All contributions, no matter how big or small, count. And I agree that one shouldn't give because of a perk, one should give because the cause means something to us. Just as an aside, I would rather have the cure named after me, than the virus.

13. A worthy cause, indeed; BUT, why is it the middle class who is asked to step up to the plate for these kind of things, with all the money spent on wars, rich bankers and financial crooks, wealthy class, and government officials – why isn't this being taken care of by them?

14. cmufford says:

Interesting post both for the science itself and the use of social media in science research. I want graphs and flow charts and maps of how crowdfunding is changing allocation of resources; likely we are just seeing the first ripple of change away from top-down funding for science, the arts and more.

15. Great discovery! This is a good chance to wipe out cancerous viruses. It's good to know that researchers are working at it.

16. Nancy says:

All cancers are not the same. you need to be really careful about how you language this. My husband just died from a rare sarcoma for which there are no specific treatments and many people would tell me about treatment success stories from Uncle Charlie who has prostate cancer for which there are many treatments. Cancer is not one brush, one story. It is millions of stories.

As it happens if you read the link it is about Pancreatic cancer, the same form of it that Steve Jobs died from– (as there are usually many, many types within a type) that they are working on. The tougher, rarer cancers like Pancreatic are the ones that are so difficult to figure out, having little funding and are an important key in finding treatments for the more common cancers, the scourge of the earth.

17. colormusing says:

Thanks for sharing this. I'll be donating.

18. grantbohne says:

Thanks for the blog post. Cancer is something that needs to be cured ASAP.

19. gettlost says:

Reblogged this on gettlost and commented:
    Put love into action through your wallet

20. It sounds like a worthy cause.

21. Malcolm Miller says:

I've been around for more than 80 years. I couldn't even guess the number of 'Cancer Cure In Sight" headlines I have seen in that time. There are several every year. As a cancer survivor myself, I take them all with a large grain of salt. This one looks like another phony to me.

22. Yeah, that's the part I don't get. With all the billions of people, hundreds of thousands of companies, thousands of charities, etc., you'd think they'd be able to come up with 2 million dollars. I can think of a few reasons. A) they're purposely fundraising this way because they think it will work faster than other methods. B) they already approached legit organizations, and were turned down because they know something we don't. C) they really do have a super anti-cancer drug, and for some reason they really can't get any funding.

23. ewcharmon says:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've posted a special promotion for this on my own blog. What a great cause!

24. [...] iCancer: Crowdfunding an Anti-Cancer Virus. Share this:FacebookTwitterPinterest Comments RSS feed [...]

25. Great blog, Cristian. I donated and passed along the information. Thanks.

26. Christian, I love your blog. You're a very good wrtiter. It is my opinion that there are cures out there but Big Pharma and your doctors don't want you to know because cancer is a multi-billion dollar BUSINESS.

27. Christian,

You are obviously a bright, well informed person and I find your blog well worth reading. I have had a number of conversations lately about " the cure for cancer" and there seems to be a growing concensus that a cure exists already but for economic reasons it has not been released. I have mixed feelings about this statement. How could the medical /research community allow for continued suffering? Imagine the economic impact when we no longer need physicians, researchers and hospital beds devoted to such a dreaded disease? What do you think?

28. adamjasonp says:

Some viruses cause cancer, and some destroy it?

29. Jean Sasson says:

Thanks so much for making it easy for the rest of us to contribute. Cancer is such a horrible disease that affects so many people in the world. I want to help and defeat it! Thanks, again, Jean Sasson

30. vudragovich says:

My thoughts when reading it is based on movies from all the way back in the 1980's. There is more profit in treating the disease. Also, $1 mill is not a whole lot of money in the world of R&D, which makes It sounds like a scam to me. I would love them to do it. And now I understand what crowd funding is. Never heard of it before, thanks. Dave

31. Tech2 says:

We had the cure for many different cancers in 1933. Dr Ramond Rife (google his name) was curing those that the medical establishment said were terminal. Cured all 16 of them! You mean to tell me that 80 years later they are still asking for money for research? What a joke! they dont want people to be cured, they make way too much money pumping and blasting these poor people suffering with this horrible disease with their poison! Makes me sick to my stomach!!!!!

32. The only way to change the world…changing it together.