Are You Ready For NaNoWriMo?

It’s officially November here in Romania, and I’m listening to a song that goes something like this, “everything’s okay, everything’s okay,…” Oh, yeah. I don’t know what I am going to write. I have a bunch of ideas, but I can’t decide. Who knows which situation is worse? No ideas or too many?

Anyway, if you want to complain about how writing 1667 words a day is ruining your social life, head over to this cool Facebook Group.

So… are you ready for NaNoWriMo? Do you have a plan? An outline? No? Maybe an idea… some characters…

Anyway, I’m sure that sometimes all you need is a scene…

68 comments on “Are You Ready For NaNoWriMo?

1. [...] Are You Ready For NaNoWriMo? (cristianmihai.net) [...]

2. I still have a few hours before it starts over hear, I'm exited and nervous never done this before. I think having no ideas is worse because when you have ideas you have something to work with, even if you're not sure which one you are going to use.

3. Morgan Phoenix says:

I've had a broad outline set for a few weeks. At this point, I'm more worried about publishing Friday Flash than Nano for some reason.

4. Kim Wilkins, an author and lecturer at the University of Queensland, posted on FaceBook this morning that she'd written 1,600 words for her new novel Ember Island AND biked 10km up and down a mountain…..all before 8.30am. The woman is prolific but also very, very hard working and disciplined. I'd have loved to have had a go at NaNoWriMo this year but I'm struggling to just finish the last 3,000 words or so of my Degree requirements first!

5. I have vague idea of what I'm going to do It's not solid.

6. PatriseArts says:

YAY! I'm awaiting midnight here in Maryland… just a few hours now. Have a morning Write-In to attend, and am hosting one each Monday night. I'm ready to WRITE!

7. falcornx says:

My brother's getting ready, he's got a long ass outline of his story all ready, and was asking me to look over it. @_@

Good luck Christian, and I hope you can find something to write about.

8. Having no ideas is definitely worse ;) I'm fired up for my first NaNoWriMo ever. I'm turning my history thesis from college (straight academic research) into a historical fiction novel, if all goes well!

9. ruleofstupid says:

All you need is the first word!

Good luck, I'm sure if you can blog so well, you'll NaNo just fine :)

10. fasigwrites says:

Write the first one that comes to mind when you sit down. Then just let it flow, you got it and we both know you can do it.

I am ready and it starts here in three hours. Ummm that means so do I, time for a nap. Good luck!

11. G M Barlean says:

I wrote the first book I published during Nano. It was a great experience.

12. Actually, all you need is an antagonist. And a conflict. And start from there.

• JC says:

Actually, all you need is a laptop, or a pen and some paper if you want to go down the traditional route, and a bit of magic in the form of imagination.

13. Piscis says:

I'd go a little crazy trying to do a novel, but I'll probably do a short story for the spirit of things.

14. Elizabeth says:

I'm in charge of the NaNo meetings and activities for my writers group this, and have been encouraging the reluctant rookies to give NaNo a try. It's been a great help to my creativity, removing the restraints my editing mind tries to impose on my words. A few years ago, a failed novel attempt actually led to publishing credits, so you never know what'll happen!

15. I'm going to give it my best shot.

16. It's still the 31rst here in the USA, but I spent a few hours today prepping: drew a map of my fictional locale along with a setting description, wrote a 1,500 word outline, and wrote out a list of characters–along with some back-up names in case I need to add a few. I've been dreaming about this book since September–I'm totally ready to write it!

17. bjackgleason says:

Reblogged this on Jack's Fiction and commented:
    Thanks for the reminder Cristian! What a great tool. B-I-C or just write or whatever, but a great way to put some structure in…

18. Debbie Bec says:

My first year to take up the challenge of NaNoWriMo. Been mulling over this story idea for about a year, I have a loose outline. Looking forward to getting it out of my brain to see how it develops. Scary and exciting.

19. Kate says:

I have a cover I made, a title, and a vague idea of what I want to write, which will probably change tomorrow morning when I actually start writing :)

20. I guess I'm ready, all of these people seem to have done so much preparing…I decided yesterday that I was going to do it. We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'm not worried because I don't believe it's actually real.

21. Read my post tomorrow morning (afternoon in Romania). You'll see my plan.

22. Ah, the thrill of watching the writers chomp at the bit. I think it is definately worse to be without an idea. The same goes for painting, though having started adding a few poetic words to my paintings, I am back in the word business just a little. My only other writing plans for the month are blog entries, three show notifications and monthly mailings. But I will be happy to spend time reading the output of your efforts and perhaps this time next year I will be reading a novel that was written this month. (I have a years supply of books on the shelf still……)

23. No ideas is far, far worse!! You can always save and develop extra ideas into different things later.

24. I sadly will not be participating this year. I have a lot of papers to write up and won't be able to take enough time out to do this. My older brother is, though. I hope he has fun.

25. I have my outline ready. I also recruited three other writers to take the plunge along with me.

26. It took me some time, noodling around between excuse and invention. But I finally pulled out my bravery gene and decided to go ahead. I'm watching the countdown now with a combination of trepidation and thrill. This, I suspect, is a precipice, a chance to go full throttle and do it.

27. Reblogged this on pocketowlpress and commented:
    So excited for NaNoWriMo, that makes reason # 19382 why I love November!

28. I NaNo'd last year and loved the experience. I'm so tempted to do it again this year, but I haven't even got a vague plan… perhaps this year I'll commit to a blog post a day for November. It's not NaNoWriMo, but it would be good for the creative flow.

29. kaleiyahp says:

I have an event for my story that happens every day, right up till the 30th. It could range from one long scene to many, but in each of those days, something has to happen so that I keep the story going. I'm just hoping I learn not to be too cheap with my words. Good luck to all of us :)

30. p2c2u says:

November 1 is here! I've had my outline ready for MONTHS! and I've been putting off working on it ever since. I hope the enthusiasm of this month will carry me through.

31. Miss ZP says:

Already start, 12 hours ago.. :D

First, can't wait to start. Then, the time has begin, I was like, "Oh.. My.. What to do?"

Am I the only who can't wait but then panic? :p

32. All we have to do is start!! Cheers!

33. Yes, I'm ready, been waiting for a while for this, my third, didn't compete last year, getting ready to publish my book, now that it's published, finally, am taking part, all signed up and now that I'm home from work and it's an hour past midnight, I'm ready to get going on it.

34. Amanda Wood says:

No real plan but that is good for me. I work as a technical writer and it is so structured and linear I need to just write without stopping to think too much. For the first time in ages I did not hit the snooze button and leapt out of bed to write before work. That is worth a lot more than money.

35. No plan, not an idea in my head, just hoping the blank page will shake something loose. This is terrifying.

36. My daughter and two of her friends are ready to go! They have been participating for many years………it has paid off for two of them! Publication is everyting and my daughter and one of her friends have ended up with publications from this exercise.

37. jackowengyll says:

I'm just about to start now.

I have no idea except for the name of a character and a certain mood that I've been in for about a month! Let's see what comes of it! Good luck everyone

38. Nona says:

I have a plan. An outline. An idea for how to begin, but my goal is to simply. have. fun.

39. Maggie says:

I did it last year and loved it! Yesterday I was thinking about using one of two very vague plots – this morning I started freshly on a third :-)

40. Venom says:

I am not ready for NaNoWriMo :'( I wanted to write something this year, but all my ideas are incomplete! I guess I'll have to wait for next year, then. . . Good luck on your work!

41. Shireen says:

my first year!! yikes! I am sure yours will be awesome….your blog posts always are!

42. No ideas is worse….duh….:)

43. Dave Higgins says:

I have killed my first blank pages.

I am trying to avoid being too prepared,in case it leaves no room for the magic to slip in.

44. [...] Are You Ready For NaNoWriMo? (cristianmihai.net) [...]

45. ClewisWrites says:

I am about to start my first bit of writing. I am in the same boat. Only a few broad strokes of an outline but as i look at it, I'm not sure that's the direction i want to go in. I suppose writing will help me get a better direction…just let them grow on their own.

46. I'm ready! And my plan is to write and win!

47. I got out of bed at 3:30 this morning to start my NaNo and am at the 2000 word mark with just one morning's write under my belt. The goal is to get ahead early in order to weather the storm in the middle of the month that is sure to come. Last year I started as you have — without a clue — and finished over 50K. This year I prepped the entire month of October and that prep started me off with little stress. Writing is fun, even more when I am ready to write!

48. dietriotgirl says:

Good luck to everyone participating in NaNoWriMo!

49. Q. says:

My ideas are never solid until I've written something down…

50. irenegee says:

I write whatever comes to my heart/gut, and try not to judge myself for it. That was the only way I was able to complete NaNo two years ago…. time to do it again now!

51. Sherri says:

Yes, I'm on my way! I wrote 1,716 words today. Hopefully, my outline will sustain me throughout the remaining 29 days! Good luck to all!

52. pkemp924 says:

Tried and failed three years straight, but I keep on trying

53. Gypsy Bev says:

This is my third year of participation. It is a great motivator for writing every day. Met with some writing friends at midnight last night and we all started our 50,000 words. A great challenge!

54. Tarina says:

I'm aiming for 50k which means I want to do 2000 words a day just to be safe… I wrote 3000 words from midnight to 2.30am on Nov 1st which I was very pleased, and a little surprised about! I hope I can keep it up and actually write something good…

I was busy planning my novel for about three months so felt very prepared… though I don't know if preparing like that suits everyone. I used to think that preparing killed ideas, but it hasn't done for me so far!

I hope everyone is having fun with NaNo, I find it's exciting and very motivating to actually write. And it's amazing how many people all over the world are doing it. :D

55. Karin Wiberg says:

I am IN!! Happy writing to all!

56. The comments alone are enough to pump a writer up.

57. [...] here’s a shout out for the NaNo-bloggers at Sweet Mother, King Midget’s Ramblings and Cristian Mihai. I’ll be cheering for you from the [...]

58. I had a final count of 4,272 words when I stopped writing for the night. I love it! It's the best day of writing and I think it puts me like three days ahead, which is good for those days when I get busy, or get writer's block, or both lol Good luck and Happy Writing!

59. jaelwriting says:

I didn't know about NaNoWriMo. ;) Happy writing, then. I better get started.

60. jaelwriting says:

Reblogged this on jaelwriting and commented:
    Challenge accepted.

~J.L. Cordova

61. Bergers Book Reviews says:

This is my 8th year. I love NaNoWriMo!

62. for the third year in a row, I'm taking a stab at NaNoWriMo, but I have some other writing projects and goals I'm needing to work on, so we'll see.

63. Love NaNoWriMo. I have yet to finish one but I think this year will be my year :D

And I think no ideas is far worse than too many!

64. The Economic Vegetar says:

Every year I tell myself that I will participate in NaNoWriMo, but every year November passes with no work produced. I can't seem to put down an idea on paper without it turning into a crumpled ball