Book Design

Those of you who have been following this blog for some time know that I’m, more or less, a one man operation. I write the books/stories, I do the interior formatting for both e-books (Kindle, Smashwords) and print books, I design the covers, and stuff like that.

What you don’t know is that sometimes I do these things for other writers. It’s not something I’ve been advertising, so I don’t have an impressive portfolio, but let me show you my latest work.

print_coverBlack Soul by Odessa Gillespie Black.

For this title I did the following:

• Book cover for print and e-book editions.
  • Interior formatting for print and e-book.

I use Createspace for all my books, simply because the production cost is significantly lower than Lulu (which in turn means cheaper author copies, higher royalties, and a lower price on Amazon.com and other retailers.)

Overall, the quality of the paper and cover, the binding, all that is really good.

The paperback’s interior formatting. I chose Adobe Jenson as the font for the text, while chapter headers are typeset in Adobe Devanagari. Also, I used a nice glyph to mark text breaks within a certain chapter.

To be honest, I do enjoy this type of work. Sometimes I design covers for books I have yet to begin writing. That way I get motivated… strange thing.

67 comments on “Book Design

1. I just pushed to CreateSpace and KDP, wish I had reached out to you first. It's the attention to detail making your indie efforts special. Great work

2. coyotero2112 says:

You are a good source of info for writers like myself. I could fumble around in the cyber-mist for months collecting the knowledge you already possess. I could also be a future client. Thanks…

Later…

3. What a talented one-man band you are!

4. I love the cover design and the premise sounds intriguing! I know you aren't supposed to "judge a book by a cover" but a nicely done bound book with a great cover will cause me to pull it off the shelf every time.

Is it out yet?

5. Leigh Pierce says:

Great cover! I'm also intrigued by their story–where can we find that book? Thanks for keeping your readers/writers inspired! I'll keep your creativity in mind as I approach this point.

6. Nona says:

:) I create covers for my WIPs too! It helps me stay focused, and get excited about the new project. New projects can be daunting, you know?

7. Great, clear information- thanks.

8. You are so full of talent! I love the enticing cover page and the fact that you put all of it together on your own.

Keep up the good work of inspiring, informing and motivating. Lovely post!

9. mmmarlow says:

I love your cover!!!! I also write, format, and design my own books. I think if you can write it, you see it in your head a certain way, and then you can design it the way you want it. Beautiful work. Good luck to you.

10. Thanks for sharing, I'll keep you in mind for my next project if you have time.

11. That's amazing!!!! If I ever write a book…dot…dot…dot;)

12. redpeffer says:

Thanks for pointing this out, really useful. Your generosity of knowledge and experience is wonderful.

13. simonhlilly says:

Like the cover design!

14. plaridel says:

great design. your creativity shines through.

15. laurenjweaver says:

I love that cover design! Good work! I've done my own book cover as well, I've just been slow to unveil it or post much of anything because I've been so consumed with finishing the story up. Anyway, I understand the whole "designing the cover before the book's started" too, that's definitely a good method of motivation and inspiration! Hope you share more of these in the future!

16. kthorpe says:

Very cool, Cristian! Eye-catching and high-quality and curiosity-provoking. :)

17. sashabella says:

That cover is awesome! It makes me want to read the book.

18. Jessica says:

Very cool, Cristian. I like your work.

19. You are multi-talented. I have to call my boys for help on posting pictures. If I only had time to read one of your books, which one would you recommend? (That's not true BTW, but just in case.)

20. Love the book cover design! Makes me want to read the book.

21. Very impressive, Christian. I love the cover design. Quite post-modern.

22. alesiablogs says:

I am just curious about cost etc that you charge. I am in the works on writing a book and I have no experience with any of the logistics. Honestly all I want to do is write it and than let someone put it together for amazon etc or kindle etc. I am thinking a 150 page book. I have a ways to go, but certainly would love input.

23. artbyzowielouan says:

I am going to check out Createspace, thanks! X:)

24. colormusing says:

Beautiful work! I know what you mean– I have graphic design experience too, and sometimes I create a visual for a story or article before I've written it. And sometimes it's a title that comes to me first, and the writing goes from there. Interesting that it's not always a predictable, linear process. But then, that's probably what keeps me inspired.

25. Great cover, love the reflection idea!

26. wihmunga says:

You did all the design work by yourself?,,,It's amazing! Would you going to share this more (for how the process go)? I will love to read.

27. lucyloohoo says:

Love the cover! You've definitely got some design talent :)

28. Toner Laser says:

Awesome post! I will keep an on eye on your blog.

29. Hi, love the book design, especially the way you wrapped the photo around the spine. As a writer and designer myself I appreciate the detail.

30. mcwoman says:

You are a talent man, Cristian. Beautiful work. I'd like to learn how to make an e-book for my novels.

31. tarajade9 says:

Hi Cristian! Very good post!

I always meant to ask who does your book covers, just to know whom to contact for mine :) very good to know!

32. So nice to have a reference. Formating etc. takes the joy out of writing for me.

33. Exploring and trying to new things with graphic design is always really fun, and other than the initial program, you never really need new supplies :)

34. This has been the best business decision I have ever made. A huge success! Thank you for a gorgeous cover and interior design. Your work is invaluable!

35. I hope you will! Thank you all for all the compliments! Cristian is awesome!

36. brenttzu says:

i love your work! i mean the literal job that you have, ohh, so inspiring :)

37. Wow you are so talented in designing as much as you are in writing. Very impressive. I admire your work. It's so professional!

38. brittany220 says:

I love the "Black Soul" cover, very cool! It's great that you have the skills to do this kind of work. :)

39. Excellent work, the cover is fantastic.

40. Beautiful cover.

It is a whole new world (e-publishing). I may be looking you up when I get to that point….

41. Looks good! And, like you, I start from blank paper, write the words, throw in some artwork sometimes, created the cover, and produce copies of my books. My fan base enjoys the personal touch. :) I liked your "Black Souls" cover!

42. mannylbirch says:

That's a really interesting cover. I tried creating the cover for my book myself but I lack the artistic ability to really create my ideas.

43. wow–if I ever go the self pub route, I sure would like to use you! I have firm ideas in mind, but am afraid of making "permanent" mistakes.

Gorgeous work, too, and we all know it's what catches the eye first–fair or not, and all idioms aside.

44. I'm a Graphic Designer and I love book design. I actually decided to become one specifically because of how much I love book design. Your design above is very nice.

45. Maria Lauirn says:

Wow! Nice work…I love the cover. Thanks for sharing your talents!

46. PD says:

Cover design is a stupid amount of fun. :D I love minimalism, this looks great to me.

47. Amanda says:

Wow. Gorgeous cover. It's the kind that would absolutely make me pick it up to read the back cover blurb. Well done.

48. michael says:

Thanks Christian, love your work and love your approach~~