Never give up on your dreams

523213_441480405922775_1158081202_nOne of my favorite quotes goes like this: “Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.”

Ambrose Redmon said that.

Fear is an impulse, or like the tattoo on my arm says, “Fear is the mind killer.” Frank Herbert said that. In Dune. So you can’t stop being afraid, but you can fight fear, you can control it.

I don’t think I ever told you how I became a writer. Or if I did, it was long ago.

It happened on a cold, winter night, much like the one I’m seeing right now out my window. Me and my mother were taking the tram home after having visited our grandfather. And it just came to me. Honest to God, it did. An idea for a story.

About a brilliant scientist on a very cold, remote planet (maybe I was thinking about Pluto, which was still a planet back then.) who discovers a way to travel faster than the speed of light. He’s name was Fertz, an obvious analogy to Hertz. Then something was going on with good robots and bad robots. That I remember. And I even gave my story a title. “The Future.”

It was supposed to be this really, really long series, and there was a military base on the Moon, and it played a really important role in the stories.

Anyway, the same night, I began writing. I was just mesmerized by what my mind had come up with. I just couldn’t believe that no one had written the story that I had just invented.

So I wrote. And I wrote. And so on.

I thought I was great. I really did. I never even stopped to ask myself what I was supposed to do with all the stuff that I wrote. I just knew that things were going to work out.

I guess that’s how people think when they feel they have a calling, a sort of higher purpose in life.

A few months later I posted one of my short stories on a forum. No one liked it. Not even one bit. Someone said I was either a retard or 14 years old (I was both.)

And I was angry. At first because they couldn’t see how brilliant I was. And then because I thought that I would never become who I wanted to be.

That’s when I started reading. The first book I read was Dune by Frank Herbert. After I finished it, I just wanted to write something as good as it. I just wanted to make someone feel the same way that novel made me feel.

And I kept writing. It didn’t matter that no one read my stories.

Some stories I never finished. Others, never even got the chance to be written. I just imagined them, played around with the idea, the characters for a while, and then I’d sit down and write about something else. Something much more interesting.

By writing all those stories, by reading all the books I could get my hands on, I learned how to write. That’s all it takes: you read and you write, and if you do it long enough, you’ll become a writer.

But there’s one more thing I learned by writing all those stories that no one ever read (sometimes I was afraid to read them as well, simply because I knew that I would realize they weren’t as great as I had thought them to be): I wrote just for the sake of writing. And I had lots of fun.

I’m a writer because I write, because being a writer is what defines me, defines who I am and who I was and who I will be. And trust me, I wrote for all the reasons you can imagine. I wrote because I had to get those words out of my head, I wrote for fun, I wrote because I wanted to impress people, because I wanted to make them cry or laugh. I wrote because I wanted to leave something behind, because I wanted a really long Wikipedia article about me. I wrote for fame and glory, I wrote for money. I wrote because I was heartbroken, I wrote because I knew no one was going to write my stories for me. I wrote because I was starving. I wrote because I was alone.

I wrote for the entire world, and I wrote for just one person.

And the odd thing is that all those years I never hesitated, I never doubted the fact that I would, someday, become a writer.

And, yes, I did give up writing. For a few days, for a few weeks, even for a few years. And, yes, I felt as if now it’s not the time… now I’m not good enough. But I never doubted the fact that one day I would become the writer I always wanted to be.

In November 2010 I found out about NaNoWriMo. I had never written in English before, so I thought I should give it a shot. I wrote a really bad novel, but I had a lot of fun.

In January 2011 I self-published this novel I had written during NaNoWriMo. Most of you know this part, how I failed at selling copies, at receiving reviews, at properly promoting my book.

Soon I lost interest. And that was the closest I ever got to actually giving up on my dream of becoming a writer. For a few months I didn’t write. I just kept thinking about how lamentably I had failed, about that two star review I got on Goodreads, about all the mistakes and all the naive writing and the unrealistic characters and situations.

Then one night I had an idea. Much like the way it happened when I wrote my first story… it just came to me. Out of a sudden, I knew how to fix things. And I began re-writing this novel.

I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do with it. I honestly didn’t know if it was worth the trouble of self-publishing again. And going down the traditional route… that seemed to be out of reach for someone living so far away from all the agents and the publishing houses…

In September 2011 I found about Wattpad, an online community where a lot of aspiring writers upload their stories. And I tried my luck, wanting to know if someone would like my story. And to my surprise, they did like it. Very, very much.

That’s all I needed. Not a million dollar advance, not Warner Bros. optioning the movie rights. Just a bunch of teenagers telling me that they really liked my writing.

So I wrote. And wrote. Pretty much like I never wrote before.

And you know what I learned in all my years of writing?

All that matters are the words you write. Nothing else. When you do your thing, it doesn’t matter (and it shouldn’t) what others are going to think about it. When you write, you should stop worrying about whether or not people are going to like your story, whether or not someone’s going to read it, whether or not they’ll care. You should stop worrying whether or not you have something to say or you just want to say something, because you do have something to say. And it’s not about saying something that no one else ever thought of saying, but about saying it in your voice. And that’s something we all have.

Writing is all about finding the courage to write. And courage is all about realizing that some things are more important than fear.

258 comments on “Never give up on your dreams

1. mango1531 says:

This is a very inspirational post.. I love the "just write" encouragement.. and someday my dream is to actually be or do something with my writing.. same reasons that you had up above.. I love your posts. thanks once again for the great boost

2. I agree. We do all have a unique voice and we should create works for ourselves, not in an effort to try and make something others will want to read (unless writing something under a contract).

3. Nice post, and applies to a lot of things in life in addition to writing.

4. coyotero2112 says:

Seetle – love that. One of those Indian names so hard for settlers to pronounce. The chief of the Duwamish's name was Sealth…and the locals used tounge clicks and odd glottal stops when they used to speak their own language. Ch-ch-ch -changes.

Later….

5. Thank you Cristian, for another amazing article. I know how you feel, and there were times when I was mad that no one liked my stories, or when I wrote up a story that sucked only to find a new way to make it better. Soon, I hope to have something of my own published, and maybe people will like it and download it.

And if I get even a small Wikipedia article, maybe I'll be famous. But heck, I'd be happy if people just read my work.

6. Excellent post Cristian. Just like thte rhino and the unicorn analogy – you can pretty much do what your heart desires when you keep putting 'it' out there. Good job. (I am glad you got over the retard or 14 year old comment!)

7. Jamie Dedes says:

It takes a certain chuzpah to be " a Writer", but creativity is a natural thing and any sort of artisitic interest/inclination is part of what it means to be human. We write from sacred space. It's honest. It's good whether or not others recognize it as so. Relative skill and talent is meaningless when it comes to fundatmental expression and values. First, you write for yourself. If you do that, you will never be fearful. It doesn't matter whether or not anyone else ever sees it or seeing it approves or disaproves. Second, you recognize that in a very real sense, once you put it out there, it is no longer yours and it becomes something different.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your story, Cristian.

8. Vicki says:

Thank you for this; this was exactly what I needed to read today after my "failed" attempt at working on my novel last night.

9. Inner World says:

Wow! Nicely done Christian. My sister recently said that I should become a writer. You've inspired me. I can't wait to read your story about jazz. I've been working on a Miles Davis theatrical project for a few years now. Also, please let me know what you think about my Beautiful Mermaid story. I'm thinking about developing it more into a full story. Thanks!

10. petsbymj says:

Thank you for writing this. I needed this story to boost me up.

11. jemmyp says:

awwww. that little rhino is adorable!! :)

12. I found this post very encouraging and inspiring, I appreciate your frankness. So true that at some point you have to just write just to write and not for anyone or any reason, but just for the sheer need and pleasure of playing with the words and the story they tell. Simple but very true. I know that feeling of not wanting to read what I've written, putting off the reality check. But luckily I've fallen in love with editing and re-writing so, as long as it's not too terrible, I enjoy getting my teeth stuck in and improving it.

13. Gardengirl says:

I'm sorry I can't help you with your computer, but you just helped me a great deal. Thank you so much for writing, especially this post. I have been writing a memoir of my mom and I on and off for a while, but I kept worrying about if other people would like it. I just realized that it doesn't matter. It's my story and I'm the only one who has to like it. I don't even have to publish it. Thank you so much. I feel renewed and inspired to get back to it. I hope you get a new computer.

Julie

14. Lindi says:

You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing!

15. Thank you- you are inspiring. And I am happy that you are a writer.

16. proportionsinlife says:

Thank you for writing, and for writing this post. You inspire me to just write and keep writing. (Actually, I'm addicted to writing, it's my daily meditative moment!)

Life is good.

17. Janine says:

My dear Cristian,

This is the first thing I have ever read that you wrote. And what a beautiful thing to read.

I, too, write. It is how I have always thought. I have written fantastical – and not so fantastical – stories in my head as long as I can remember. And the most crippling aspect of it has always been fellow humans need to edit and control what I write, oftentimes even before I can record the words. I certainly understood the need to learn some structure and so forth, but to control the ideas? Not so much.

I have never comprehended that, except that humans are that way, needing to control others.

I cannot say I remember the exact day (I believe it was more a growing understanding of myself as the desire in me grew) when I realized that I needed to let my voice be heard. And to thrive, I needed to be honest in my writing.

I, too, have had periods when I did not let myself write. Those were bleak times. And if I did have to write something, it was not me talking.

But a lot has changed for me in the past year. I have been writing more than ever. And it is in the past year that I came to the conclusion that fear had had a hold on me for a long time. The greatest part was fear instilled in me by those around me, with that insidious voice telling me they were right.

It is only recently that I looked at it and understood that. Those who would have me live in fear of life will always be around, are around even at this moment.

But now I dare. The courage was always there, just waiting for me to latch on and fly wherever and however and whenever.

I write for me. In my head I write. In my heart I write. In my soul I write. I know I can find me in all that I write now.

Blessings, Cristian.

– Janine

• cornetroll says:

I agree mate. I hate it when my works are edited a lot because it seems that my ideas are being controlled. And after all, the words that we have written are just for us anyway. So there's no need to win the approval of other people.

18. jser67 says:

I relate so well to this. I never thought about writing. I just did it. I remember my cousins who were a lot older reading my stuff and taking it and putting their name on it. Being the grade "junkie" I always was- I was getting A's and B's in HS. I could not have been more than 10. To me, it was just something I did.

19. natetowne says:

You're right – dreams can be incredibly scary, especially when they are tied to real-world scenarios like having to pay the rent, having enough money for retirement, the need to spend every waking hour on a new endeavor you're passionate about but worry will burn you out and you will no longer love the very thing that drives you to dream. But you know what? Screw fear. Embrace failure. To paraphrase a favorite movie ("Steel Magnolias," which I know is actually a play and probably started out as a book, heavens knows) "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." I choose to be stronger. I'm going to make my dream happen. And I have you (and possibly Kermit the Frog and the Muppets) to thank me for giving me the swift mental kick in the brain pan I needed.

20. yogikiwi says:

Thanks Cristian, just what I needed to hear…and well said. Its funny, you seem a real kindred spirit…thinking and observing in a similar way to me…which is funny when you're a 22yo Romanian man and I'm a 44yo New Zealand woman! Must be the writer in each of us :-)

21. lynnwyvill says:

Great post and advice about writing. I enjoyed the story about writing your first story. I laughed out loud when I read the two requirements in life. Oh, yes!

22. Piscis says:

Oh, Seattle…haven't been there in a while.

Otherwise, all I can say is – yep.

23. Gregoryno6 says:

For someone who never wrote a story in English until two and a bit years ago, you're incredibly fluent in your writing here. I've never had the sense that you were struggling with the language.

24. thecaca says:

This is advice that can be applied to many aspects of life. Inspiring!

25. When I was young,

my hopes were high and my dreams were big,

my blood was hot and boiling,

and the weather outside was shiny and bright.

The world seemed splendid and nice,

and the future as golden as face of the sun.

But as time passed by,

my hopes vanished as dust and smoke.

All that was sacred and beautiful before,

died cold and alone.

My thirst for wisdom and glory

remained empty and vain.

The godly images became gloomy and pale,

as no seed sown in faith

brought forth a berry, only weeds were left.

And now I despise the worldly things,

because I see that all is nightmare and trifle.

Whether its happiness or misery, sorrows or joys,

my heart is hard and I do not care.

26. So true- I love this part you wrote:

27. Bbots says:

I wanted to click "like" a million times. This was brilliant, inspiring, encouraging, amazing. Thank you very much for sharing this tidbit of knowledge with us who aspire to achieve our dreams as writers too yet doubt our likeability or talent. This post was perfectly stated, helping us to keep lifting our pens and tapping our keys on the keyboard.

28. mamiesmith says:

I really liked reading this post. Good luck with your computer! I definitely want to keep reading your work!

29. scoliogurl says:

Reblogged this on Scoliogurl and commented:
    Great blog, thought I would help a fellow blogger out by reposting.

30. smdubinsky says:

Beautifully said, and beautifully written. I love your indomitable spirit, your drive, your passion, and blunt honesty.

31. I can feel your situation, been more than three months without a computer. Stealing them also just to write. Didn't provide you much hope this works out for you. I really look forward to the insights you provide!

32. Malcolm Miller says:

Your story should be read by every teenager who might one day become a writer. They are probably born with the potential, and with a bit of help can develop it. But most of what they need has tro come from within – you had it, without doubt.

33. And I could read this post backwards and its amazing! Posted you and your quote on my Facebook! Friends LIKE!!!!

34. Zee says:

Thank you for sharing this and for being an inspiration. Glad I found your blog. Will be checking in more often from now.

35. Joy Frawley says:

This was incredible to read and I laughed out loud several times! Good stuff and thank you for sharing.

36. Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

37. kinsahays says:

I'll just do it too. I invent kids stories while I'm driving about things i see. It's fun, isn't it? Haven't got anything published yet although I won a couple of awards last year for fiction and poetry. And yesterday i deleted by mistake the list of possible publishers my mentor sent me. What does that tell me?

• Might I suggest to do a Google Search on “undelete open source”. That should get you a number of links for file recovery software. Open Source software is free to use. If you have not added files to your computer, then there is good chance that you can undelete the file. Deleting a file just changes a file property. Until you overwrite any of the space which that file used, you can undelete it. Also a good idea to buy an externel USB hard drive (under $100) so that you can backup your important files. Just some suggestions and ideas. Good luck, hope that you can recover that deleted file…

38. lelomy says:

"I’m a writer because I write, because being a writer is what defines me, defines who I am and who I was and who I will be." True, that. Awesome.

39. mummyshymz says:

I really enjoyed this post. I like your style – simple, heartfelt and straight to the point. Good luck in your writing journey!
    p.s. I've a t-shirt with that exact same pic. Love it!

40. Even the most impossible dreams can come true if you believe strongly in them. Belief is what makes you go through failures and allow you to grow and become better and better, up to your ultimate goal! Cheers for this post Cristian!

41. Well written! Thanks for encouraging all of us.

42. Emma Snow says:

It's a coincidence…but Wattpad where was I started posting my writing for the world to see and it definitely has shaped and improved my writing skills. I so want to read your story on Wattpad now! Is it still there?

P.S. Everything you said was so insightful and beautifully written. Is it okay if I quote you on Facebook? I just loved that part you said about writing and how you do it for everyone in the world but also for yourself.

43. bookstomark says:

I don't think I can like this enough times. I am a teen who wants to be a writer and am always worrying. So, thank you for this, it made a difference.

44. This is very inspiring! I really needed to read this tonight!

45. Ashley says:

Love that picture. It's inspiring!

46. Very inspiring Cristian. Very inspiring.

47. What an exceptionally thoughtful post! This inspires me to keep writing… despite my habit of half or less than half finished stories. lol

48. shellakers says:

God I loved this! Although I'm not a teenager and I haven't been for 200 years, I LOVE your writing! It kept me from start to finish!

49. inspiramble says:

Reblogged this on inspiramble and commented:
    "I wrote because I knew no one was going to write my stories for me. " – Cristian Mihai

50. dlacoursiere says:

I always love the way you speak of writing. It is the same way I feel about my writings, poetry and music. I hope that you can find the help you need to continue writing your blogs as well as your stories. …..Oh yeah, and I stole your quote from the beginning and posted it on my page!

Sincerely,

Doug Alan

51. I love it. Very inspiring. It is the most inspiring story I've read in years.

52. evy doloks says:

thanks ! you really inspired me. I love your writing :) always inspiring.

53. I can so relate to your post! Well done on your perseverence and inspiration!

54. chandanimane says:

How awful that you received that kind of negative feedback when you were 14. There is a difference between constructive criticism and an outright insult, and you received one at such an impressionable age. It is human nature to become what people tell you that you are. If you're called bad when you're not, you eventually start to believe that you're bad and start behaving as such. It takes inner strength to overcome those hurdles and to follow your dreams regardless of what people say about you. It's called taking a risk, and risks are what people need to take in order to get anywhere in life. Good for you for following your dreams, and these are some very wise words to follow.

55. Cristian, I really appreciate this post. It has come along just at the right time for me. I have only been writing for a few months and recently I've been starting to have the first seeds of doubt creep in. I now have the encouragement I need to keep at it! Thank you so much. :-)

56. It's like this post was "sent" to me this morning. Thanks.

57. zeudytigre says:

'I wrote because I had to get all those words out of my head' :) So true.

58. Agree. Writing provides solace in affliction. Self-expression can be very liberating.

59. allilarin says:

Very inspiring, Cristian. I am just now coming back to writing and publishing after years away from what I love most. Thanks for this post.

60. Very inspirational. Once kids hit the higher level in school, creative writing is no longer a priority unless you take a creative writing course…

61. I think it's wonderful that someone who didn't like writing ends up being so passionate about it.

62. teachersbell says:

I think you story is encouraging to all ages Cristian! You are correct, the more one reads and writes, the better you get at your craft.

63. Thank you for a terrific post for a cold, snowy day – and one where I need to get writing, too. :) Very inspiring and helpful.

64. An inspiring post! I tend to think that writing is a calling… I love writing but unfortunately my job and life leave me little time and energy to devote to it. Reading is so important too, as you rightly note.

65. Great summary of your journey. Writing does take a lot of practice. It's awesome when online forums are helpful (not mean and critical). Helps me re-focus my goals when I start to panic.

66. Thank you Cristian…for your honesty and pure innocent nature, it takes courage to write this and you did great, very inspirational and uplifting, there is hope for me and I'm sure for many others also !

67. Niki says:

This is such a big push for me, and I absolutely needed your words. I'm writing for all the reasons, too. Maybe for wrong ones, or the right ones – either way, I'm getting frustrated that I'm not getting any better. But it's hit me that it doesn't happen in a week.

I believe I've a fear of stopping writing or losing interest in it because I might not be able to recuperate from it. But thank you for that Redmon quote.

Thank you for this.

68. epitomeofdolly says:

super encouraging. THANK YOU!… i find that more times than not.. i am hesitant to post because i do feel it's a bit too much ( in wonderland) .. and often times wonder what the reader thinks of my… thoughts..

but either way.. i still hit the POST!

– thank you for sharing your words = )

69. Thank you for this inspiring piece. I shall remember it moving forward with my articles here on word press. :)

70. sazerites says:

Cristian:

Your blog inspired me to be my best. Thank you!

71. seemashenoy says:

Wow..ur writing is so natural..it went straight to my heart!!

72. Nisma Rafiq says:

Your words- I am wordless after that- each word is the ocean of motivation….

I am truly inspired!

Love it..and Good Luck with everything!

73. pkemp924 says:

My first story was to a prompt given in fourth grade English. I might have wanted to become a writer at that point, but the rules scared me. Then by seventh grade I had that dream sucked out of me completly by my English teacher who convinced me indirectly that writing would be something I would just be a failur at.

I did enjoy reading though, and didn't let that bad school experience keep be from devouring science fiction by the box load.

I shared story ideas throughout my life, but never really picked up the pen until recently. Although I've not accomplished as much as you have in regards to completing projects, the fact I'm writing at all is a triumph.

I'm almost fifty years old now, and starting down that writing path finally, rules be damned.

Never give up on your dreams indeed.

74. Christian,

FYI, I just supported this project. You are a great writer. Keep up the great work.

Question: Do you have audio versions of your books? I consume almost all my "reading" via audio for various reasons. Find some girl with a sexy voice and have her read your books into a digital recorder. ;)

Much Thanks,

-Ben

• I thought about it for a while, but then I got caught up with all my other crazy side-projects and kind of forgot about it. I know Audible has this thing where you can find narrators and all that, and you don't have to pay them, just give them a share of the profits. Or something like that. As soon as I'll have time, I'll seriously look into it.

75. Lovely and inspiring story. I hope you will never give up on your dreams~

76. Odee says:

Lengthy praises and appreciations were already said about your posts, so i'll keep mine short.

You keep me writing, Cristian Mihai. You really do.

77. Sooo many people posted comments here. I just wanted to share the fact that I've always been a writer, and at one point, i thought i destroyed all my potential of being the person I invinted. Your words knocked on my door, they came in to tell me we shared the same pain, and I cried to your words.

How lovely.

78. s. kay-adade says:

I absolutely believe in dreams.

They give you something to look forward to, and nothing to lose.

This is very inspirational. Keep dreaming.

79. hayherry says:

Yes absolutely right, hold and go for every dream tightly!

80. bettyl says:

Dreams are the reason that anything ever gets accomplished. Never give up.

81. It's good to remember that reviewers always reviews themselves: they can fail to notice, fail to recognise, and/or fail to appreciate. So, no matter whether or not one is given praise or condemnation, it's still an individual opinion. :)

82. charliefass says:

Some think that dreamers are to be scorned, but the truth is that these are the ones who have the inspiration to create and get things done. "Climb every mountain"

83. Love the opening cartoon! Exactly what my book "Solitary Desire" is all about – never giving up on your dreams and where that can lead you! Thanks for a great reminder post.

84. NOAEfame says:

love that you never gave up on your dream.To be a writer is an inspiration too.

I love it when people show so much courage in everything they do.

I am glad we can all learn from you.

85. Matt Dalton says:

I have been away from writing for almost two years and have found that every skill I had seems to have disappeared. Like you say – writing, reading, writing, reading, writing, reading is THE way to improve. Patience, of course, being the key!

86. serenityh says:

I understand how it is wanting to be a writer. I started writing early on as well. In fact I found some of my early writings from school, can't remember when, but it does make me feel good that I wrote back then. Now I write mostly fanfiction.I do have a dream to write a set of fantasy novels to publish. Hopefully one day I will. ^^ :)

87. Great article! Keep it up!

88. lljostes says:

Reading and writing and….(leave out the arithmentic). It's just words, words, words, for me! Thanks for your post. I can really identify with your pronouncement…writing…it's what we writers do!

89. I can so realate. I just finished my book about grown-ups having more fun and it took me three serious attempts and almost 20 years to get it done. I'm very proud of it now – I finally feel like a writer.

90. sunmallia says:

I needed that bit of inspiration, thanks for such a great post!

91. Inspiring post. Keep it up, Cristian..

92. wildhabits says:

I love your attitude towards life. You're just full of willpower. One of the coolest thing about writing to me is that you can do whatever you want. It's your story…no limits ;)

93. tmalloy21 says:

I love the saying, "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result". I also love that as you kept writing, you also kept reading and learning from those that came before you. I don't believe in reinventing the wheel so if someone's already done it successfully, I want to learn from them. Kudos on keepin on and always trying to improve!

94. Keep writing……………..

95. jonimarie says:

this is very inspiring. thank you.

96. Astrid Hardjana-Larg says:

The title of this post is definitely something that I believe in. Those are words for every person to consider. Dreams develop for each person due to their belief and willingness to work for their dream. It may take time but the results are worth the waiting. This was very inspiring =)

97. that was really powerful. thanks for the inspiration. and I can't believe your computer broke down. I fix computers for a school, so if you were near enough, I would totally take a look at it – for free. and just to meet you and have coffee. that would be a story in itself

98. Cj says:

you are a great read and committed writer…and VERY YOUNG. You will achieve your dream. Keep at it and thanks for sharing with us!

99. Thank you, Cristian. I am a student photographer – actually I am a student photographer who is nervous of the camera; oh yes; just as a writer might be nervous of the pen. Your post has given me real encouragement to not only believe in myself, but to believe that my work is valuable regardless of opinion.

100. Amazing, I want to share your story with my daughter who is 14. I know she will be so inspired by you just as I am. Best wishes for you!

101. ReDiscover says:

I believe in "Feel the fear and do it any way"…. somehow it takes me awhile in some cases to get over the fear.

After several months I am inspired to dust off the covers off my blog. Yesterday another blogger reminded me to write just because.

Now that I have read your blog I am getting closer to just writing.

Point noted – You should stop worrying whether or not you have something to say or you just want to say something, because you do have something to say. And it’s not about saying something that no one else ever thought of saying, but about saying it in your voice.

Thank you once again.

102. luciesmoker says:

So inspiring. Thanks

103. jmclinton says:

Following your dreams is important no matter how old you are… Don't let reality dictate your dreams, make your dreams a reality.

104. ph08n1x says:

Really great post! Very motivational for others like me who are giving writing a go!

105. evanatiello says:

One question always nags me, when do you call yourself a writer?

"I'm a writer because I write." Just love that. Thanks for answering my question.

106. Well said! Keep it up!

107. Love it. Lots of resonances with my own experience growing up in Australia. I lost all my teenager scribblings somewhere along the road and I'm ok with that.

I love your statement about being mesmerised with what your own mind is able to create. I hope we never lose that sense of wonder in our own creative abilities. I'm into Day 37 of a rather bizarre set of life circumstances, and every day I think, "Paramount and Miramax should be in a bidding war for the film rights!"

108. Just love this post, very inspiring and beautifully written :)

109. tommytague says:

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michaelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, 'Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.”

-Martin Luther King Jr.

110. reocochran says:

Your incredible ability to keep going, trying a variety of ways to write and telling us that you produced mounds of work is inspiring and awesome. The way you write makes it interesting. I especially liked the child version of yourself. Seattle is where your apt. was, in your mind, which made it true.

111. Ann Koplow says:

I am so glad I read this today! Thank you for the courage it takes to give us the gifts of your wonderful writing.

112. ermareads says:

Keep on writing on!

I reblogged you on my page – ermareads.wordpress.com

This was just too relevent to keep to myself! Thx!

113. epbeaumont says:

Audience is the oxygen. At bottom, writing is nothing more than another form of performance. Draft one is rehearsal, draft two is another rehearsal… and the final performance is never final.

114. A very finely expressed thought: the courage to keep going, the nature of fear, what it takes to believe in yourself, all so true. I am happy you are not giving up on this. I gave up on an early writing interest and regret it. Do I'm trying to not let that happen with my photography. Thanks for your post Christian.

115. This is an inspiring piece. You have a nice clean writing style and a formidably honest way of expressing what's in your heart.

116. Jack Curtis says:

"A writer…is someone who writes." My mother was a successful writer of short stories published in magazines and collected and published in books. She was very unsuccessful writing scripts. Nevertheless. she continued writing both and so far as I can tell, both were of equal quality. In fact, maybe her scripts were better. She wrote because she was a writer, and that's what writers do…

She would agree wholeheartedly with your post!

117. poeticlibra says:

Keep writing, keep dreaming. The universe is willing if you keep striving. :-)

118. bretagnebk says:

I didn't only like this blog, I loved this blog and as I approached the end I thought, "beautiful." Now I am sitting in church waiting for church to start and my initial reaction was to respond to your blog and tell you how beautiful you are.

I don't know your story. I don't know what happened to your PC or how that is affecting you. Except for the obvious, you are a writer!

So I must ask. What is your situation? You mentioned needing help. Why do you need help?

B

P.S. keep writing.

• Thank you!

Well, basically about a month ago my computer broke down, right when I was getting ready to work on my upcoming novel. Given that I'm kind of a full time writer, it was quite tragic. So I decided to ask for help, to buy a new computer and to get my novel edited. That's it, I guess.

• bretagnebk says:

Im very sorry to hear that. Thank you for answering my question. I can see how that would be very tragic considering how writing is your livelihood. I will keep you in my prayers.

B

119. azulsphaera says:

I really enjoyed this piece! Thanks for posting it!

I agree that it doesn't matter if people like it. But people will like it!

120. ladyelenauk says:

Awesome, I will share this with a Teen I mentor online. She writes on Wattpad but has low self esteem. This will give her a boost. Also, keep positive, so many people turned down the book "Chicken Soup" by Jack Canfield. He finally, found a yes and has sold millions now. It's a best seller. What if he gave up after 100 declines? G/Luck.

121. zgardenldy says:

Bless you… I love synchronicity and finding your blog today, seems to be what I needed to hear.

122. todreambig says:

Oh, I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved this. Every single word I read, I could relate to. My biggest passion is writing, I feel it's the only thing I do that makes me, well, me. No one knows I write (except very few people) because I don't want people to think i'm wasting my time or that I'm not good enough, and my stories have always been my little secret… but this has been so inspiring! Wow, thank you for sharing your amazing words!

123. bodhismum says:

I took a look here, because you liked one of my posts. Wow, what an inspiration. So many knock backs happen in life. This was such a great lift, thank you :)

124. cariwiese says:

I recently read that quote about courage in a self-help book (I think it was The Now Habit). It is completely true. The author was making the point that when you procrastinate, it is out of fear of the project. But as the deadline looms, the fear of the project is replaced by the greater fear of the consequences of not finishing the project. In many ways, it's very true. A project that seems impossible somehow becomes less so on the day of the deadline. That panicky rush that we procrastinators need to get our butts moving is so totally unhealthy, but it works. I've been working on my bad habits lately. Interesting that I should hear the same quote twice in one week. Maybe I needed to hear it twice! Thanks again for posting, love your blog!

125. Thanks for the like! It's good to see another quote lover. Enjoying your blog! Much love and light to you and have a blessed day!

126. What a great post! Bravo to that little kid who just had to write! :)

127. teodorablez says:

hehe…. I like the way you write, its interesting and funny (in a good way). Thanks for visiting my blog, im new here and still get lost.

keep on writing pls! ;-)

128. A marvelous post. My sister, who has published 2 novels and has a third in the works, has been encouraging me to start writing as well. You've given inspiration to this 60-year-old that writing (and maybe even being published) is possible. Also, thank you for liking my post.

129. malctg says:

Hi Cristian. Thank you for liking my poem ' The Charge'. I write mainly in a tatty note book I take everywhere with me. As long as I'm happy I then share with the world. What I write is from me alone. Good luck. The Foureyed Poet.

130. Thanks for liking my blog about Mexico. Keep up your great writing!

131. laurasarahs says:

I have downloaded "Remember" to my Kindle and look forward to reading and reviewing it. I will put a review on Amazon for you. Thanks for liking my blog.

132. I loved this post! You are very right. "Writing is all about finding the courage to write" I will keep this quote close.

133. marqueritte says:

Keep writing,oh yes keep on writing

134. great post. I wrote my first story around 8 or 9 or 12 and Chicago was my Seattle. :)

135. justjo says:

so inspirational, not even just for writong, but also for the rest of life. thank you so much for the like as well on weeknight whimsies, really appreciate the read :)

136. namesconnie says:

I enjoyed reading this and feel it can inspire others to write again if they quit. Thanks for writing it!

137. Henry Martin says:

Really enjoyed this!!! Never, Never, Never give up!!! Iheard that somewhere before :)

138. matchpro123 says:

Love this post. I kept a journal of stores for years and just starting my blog. I write for me and let the rest take its course. Thanks for visiting my blog.

139. Thanks for liking my post. This is very inspired writing, Never giving up……….

140. Sudha says:

Thank you for this beautiful post full of inspiring words! I loved it and it inspired me, since I was actually about to fall into the well of thought that – I am no good like all the great people who writes so poetically, so beautifully. Your post filled me up with the courage to go on. Thank you again. I will surely try and keep trying to put my thoughts in words, even if they seem stupid now. Hopefully with time I'll get it right!

:-)

141. Phoebe says:

Thanks for sharing your journey. (And thanks for visiting my blog!)

142. I enjoyed your post. I too write because there are stories rattling around in my mind that just Have to be written. After a discouraging day, you have reminded me to never give up on my dreams. Thank you!

143. I love the way you write, I love the way you write about writing. You empty yourself and run naked and skinless….Thank you. And you'll never understand whats it like to get a 'like' from someone who writes like you. Its a great affirmation for me

144. Bob says:

Ok – your post 'got me' ( thanks for liking my photos btw!) :-)

I've done what i can for 'the cause' – Good luck with your new PC – it looks like with a few more nice people you may get there soon!

I have a request though.. i'm going to resist the temptation to ask for help in kind for my fledgling photographic career as i hope to sell even one of my works and ask that instead of returning a kindness, you pass it on!

I know of another writer who writes for many reasons including to dispel the pain she is feeling and who i believe is capable of offering good works to the world – and who needs a 'break'. Would you be so kind as to drop by her blog and explain about WATTPAD? I'm sure she would be most thankful of the assist.

Naturally should you tell her of this request i will disavow any knowledge of you! :-)

you can find her on wordpress.com under 'littleredribbon'

I think "Nothing – Lewis Watson' shows promise on her blog.

Good fortune CH

145. Cristian you write well and it's inspiring. I have experienced a lot of the feelings you describe about when you started to write. It's so good that you are still writing. I really enjoyed reading this post. All the best with the new computer.

Thanks for liking my latest post.

146. sinecostan says:

Sir: You have distilled the very essence of the soul of the writer. Yes, yes, someone understands! Sigh . Writing is such a visceral way of life. Unlike any other type ofvwork, it comes not from us, it IS us. Thank you for accomplishing the feat of explaining the inexplicable.

147. Reading this is just what I needed. I have been wanting to write but have been in the "no one will want to read what I write" frame of mind. I've made excuses and put it off. Last week something pushed me to just start. I've begun the blog and decided to do it for me. I'm trying to not worry about whether people will like it or not … just write, because I want to.

Thanks!!

(and thanks for liking my post)

148. janjoy52 says:

Your writing is fresh, fun, transparent, very engaging. And you make a good point to never give up. Thanks!

149. weakleykevin says:

A very well written post with movitional tools using your real life experiences to inspire others to continue, continue, continue if its something they truly love. Thanks for stopping by my blog and like my post.

150. Jenny Cantu says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME, CRISTIAN?! THIS WAS PHENOMENAL! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED THIS POST! :) I, too, hope to publish a book some day – a children's book specifically. :) It is a dream that started about five years ago and still working on. :) Someday…with God's help.

Do you know how to pronounce Seattle now? :) If you haven't visited, you would love it. It's one of my favorite cities to visit. A little "too busy" to live there, but I love visiting from time to time.

So blessed we crossed paths! God bless you! – J.C.

151. You're right…writing is all about courage. Great quote: "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."

152. ladystamper says:

sigh…..you said it all. Beautifully. Thank you for giving all of us writers merit. We are all the same and all very different. I'm saving this post and sharing it with my writers group. And I'm getting your book. You inspired me. :o)

153. uaifestival says:

Once I was thinking to become a writer, than I met a writer and he was more coward than me, from then I always think that writing is something tath belongs to the cowards. Standing and telling, and speaking in the middle of the people is courageous!

154. "Great Post", Love it!

155. Angel says:

Reblogged this on LivingWithHealthyOutlook and commented:
    Wonderful thought and never give. up on your dreams

156. We need to talk. I can help you with that computer need. You spoke my own thoughts about writing. It's funny how sometimes my head is so filled with words and other times I feel like being a sponge and take them in greedily. Great post. Dream big. And let's talk via Email.

157. Cristian-What I've learned is that the fear of rejection and judgment can keep one small, cramped, and eventually make one a bit (a lot) neurotic. Talents unused are corrosive, and there is tremendous pain in stories left untold. Actually, I think it was superlative story-teller, Maya Angelou, who said: “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”

While I personally think there are greater agonies than that, I know it's a peculiar and destructive agony, nonetheless. You're doing such great things here, Cristian! And thanks for stopping often at my blog. It means a lot to me.–M

158. Love the article and the graphic is priceless. Thanks for the inspiration!

159. Leo says:

Great blog, keep up the writing it`s inspirational.

160. Loved hearing why you write. And indeed, it's about saying it in your own voice.

161. I enjoy reading about your writing. It's sincere, bright, fresh and uncomplicated. Thanks for visiting my blog that's dedicated to helping Christians cope and live God's way.

162. willmeneke says:

the courage to write – touched by a bit of fear – a heady stew – a well of words that a soul may pour out thoughts from to entertain and enlighten and others feast upon

very good article — thank you

163. Well done. Keep writing.Life is but a dream….

164. chymdii says:

When I started reading this, I knew I'd definitely like the person behind the post. Writing always does that, opens you up to the world. At first, this was the reason I didn't write…but I just couldn't surpress the need to write any longer. So I let myself be read like an open book. Thanks for stopping by and liking my blog…and I hope you get a new computer soon… :)

165. Thank you. I love what you have written.

166. A very inspiring post. Thank you. :-)

167. pittawadda says:

I take pictures. I just keep taking pictures. I have people tell me all the time I won't make money. I tell them that's not why I take pictures. I take them because I love to. If I have the chance for knowledge I jump at it. I wrote a whole blog about following dreams and how life changes and I was able to follow mine.

Great post.

168. giving up on your dreams, is like giving up on life! Good job.

169. Ken Baumbach says:

Reblogged this on Captain Attitude and commented:
    Very Inspirational!

170. vallab444 says:

Christian: Nice post and must inspire several budding writers. The last part of your post is really the juice. This is precisely what the Hindu God Sri Krishna tells Arjun, the sharpshooting archer, one of the five Pandava princes in the Hindu mythology 'Mahabharatha'. The occasion is the epic Mahabharatha Battle, when Arjun has to confront his own cousins and uncles, whom he needs to kill if the Pandavas were to win the battle. Sri Krishna enlightens a weak-kneed, jittery, sobbing Arjun with these pearls of wisdom. The Sanskrit language verse goes like this: "karmanyevadhikarasthe, ma phaleshu kadachana. Ma karmaphalaheturbhur mathey sangostvakarmani". The literal translation of this is: You only have the right to perform your actions, but you are not entitled to the fruits of your actions. Do not let the fruit be the purpose of your actions, and therefore you won’t be attached to it so that you would not skirt your duty. ( thanks, parmod, for this blog post- http://pramoduniverse.com/philosophy/karmanye-vad… which I referred for the translation of the second verse). christian, if you haven'r read the Mahabharatha, you haven't read ANYTHING at all. You can find it on Amazon – http://www.amazon.com/Mahabharata-Greatest-Spirit

171. vallab444 says:

Christian: Nice post and must inspire several budding writers. The last part of your post is really the juice. This is precisely what the Hindu God Sri Krishna tells Arjun, the sharpshooting archer, one of the five Pandava princes in the Hindu mythology ‘Mahabharatha’. The occasion is the epic Mahabharatha Battle, when Arjun has to confront his own cousins and uncles, whom he needs to kill if the Pandavas were to win the battle. Sri Krishna enlightens a weak-kneed, jittery, sobbing Arjun with these pearls of wisdom. The Sanskrit language verse goes like this: “karmanyevadhikarasthe, ma phaleshu kadachana. Ma karmaphalaheturbhur mathey sangostvakarmani”. The literal translation of this is: You only have the right to perform your actions, but you are not entitled to the fruits of your actions. Do not let the fruit be the purpose of your actions, and therefore you won’t be attached to it so that you would not skirt your duty. ( thanks, parmod, for this blog post- http://pramoduniverse.com/philosophy/karmanye-vad… which I referred for the translation of the second verse). christian, if you haven’r read the Mahabharatha, you haven’t read ANYTHING at all. You can find it on Amazon – http://www.amazon.com/Mahabharata-Greatest-Spirit

172. claudia says:

I like the way you say, the reasons that you write, I feel the same way too. Its been a long time, but now I feel I have something to say that I want to share, and is of shared value

173. Thank you for sharing these encouraging words.

174. ltolenti says:

Christian, if you ever get the chance to read it … your wonderful story reminds me of Marge Percy's poem, "For the young who want to." She echoes what you say: "A writer really writes."

Thanks for sharing your story!

175. dayya says:

Great post, Cristian! Always an avid reader, I came to writing in much the same way, and really, I can't do anything else! Congratulations on the successful publication of your magazine. Impressive! d:)

176. It's always encouraging to hear the stories of other writers and how they kept persevering. Keep writing, and never give up!

177. zendrawingforyou says:

Cristian, firstly, thank you for liking my blog. Your story is so familiar. I have been painting and drawing, studying and working for years. So many times I have put my work up and people have not liked it. Often I have received no response at all. Recently I gave up oil painting because of toxicity in crowded university studios. It is only since I have started to work in ink at home that I have had any positive feedback. Your post is amazing and so needed for creatives, thanks! :)

178. thewildernessofdreams says:

What you say is so true. Don't give up on your dreams…not ever.

179. Donna C. Terrell says:

I LOVE this post! It's so cool to read your processes.

180. dolagabriel says:

"I'm a writer because I write". Thanks for the reminder!

181. Sukoshiyama says:

the things that do matter:
    what caught me was the words …”fear is the mind killer…” and i said, frank herbert. woah. yeah – the six canon books :D

yeah there are things greater than fear. i hear you. :D

i can feel the energy emanating from your words. i totally dig it.

182. What a great post – and from all the reactions here, you obviously touched on what a lot of people feel.

183. Mary Rowen says:

so great to read this. brings it all down to the naked truth. best of luck.

184. chengboiser says:

such wonderful words..I’m hooked already, just keep it up!

185. i feel this way as well sometimes… like i’m just not enough, worried about what ppl think about my work and what i have to offer or not confident in my talents and skills because i haven’t gotten the breaks or the opportunities. But I’m trying to break free of those unnecessary doubts! and I just love how u said “And it’s not about saying something that no one else ever thought of saying, but about saying it in your voice.” ain’t that the truth! nice!

186. “Of course, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but maybe that’s one of two requirements for doing anything in life: you’re either brave enough to do it or so stupid that you don’t have a clue about what you’re getting yourself into.”
    Awesome! I would like to add, maybe both are a requirement: too stupid to know what you’re getting into, and brave enough to do it anyway. Because, after all, you’re smart enough to REALIZE that you don’t know what you’re getting into….

I noticed that you began NaNoWriMo the same year I did. Have you continued the competition since then? Or maybe any of the “camps”?
    And you seem to have the same problem I do, not finishing stories. ;)

And finally, thank you for the fave on my Doctor Who prologue.

187. eurekascarlet says:

After never giving up, you all had us become fan of your writings. In this blog of yours it really make sense. Thank you for sharing it with us.

188. goanflavour says:

This was a beautiful post.

I just read an excerpt of your book, Jazz. Your language is very descriptive, and you make it very easy to relate to the character.

Loved this. Very much inspired and looking to discover the rest of your blog.

189. Loved it! There were some parts where i could actually relate with it.
    Like in these lines – “I wrote just for the sake of writing. And I had loads of fun.” , i felt like i am reading my own diary. Brilliantly narrated.

190. TheRotatingDoor says:

The “like” button had trouble loading on my computer… so I am doing this oldschool. I liked this, a lot.

191. fgpropertym says:

Great article, I totally agree with you, you should be always who you are, and never give up on the life way where you want to be in the future.

192. kmabarrett says:

Hi CM,
    I was browsing back through some of my old posts and ran across my link to this post of yours. I just wanted to let you know I still think it’s great!

193. I love your surprise when, what feels very much to me like spirit, spoke to you, Cristian, on the tram that wintry night. And that the title of the story would be “The Future” as it pointed the way to *your future. :))

194. mashamikhailova says:

I love it. No other comments, it´s so sincere, so brave, so good. Thanks for this post, for inspiring those who don´t have enough courage or sometimes think it´s just not worth it.

195. juliusmsanz says:

I really liked this post, very good stuff!

196. Thank you for this inspirational post. I needed it today. I’m certainly not a successful writer right now, but just as you had that feeling, I do too. I just know I will make it too someday. And in the mean time, I do my thing. I write my novels, screenplays, and short stories. I blog and I vlog. It’s all to express what’s going on in my mind. It can be terrifying sometimes, but when I think about it, it’s the only route I can take. It’s worth the feeling of fear.

197. HopeSpirit says:

So meaningful for so many creative pursuits. I love how you said that “fear is an impulse.” If we could only retrain our minds… a dear friend says often when faced with an intimidating task, that its our choice to “feel the fear and do it anyway.” Thank you for a proverbial kick in the butt! Gotta go… time to write :)

198. I love it. Funny and wise.

199. playswithwords says:

I <3 these words you wrote most of all:

——————
    ——————

This is exactly where I am at this year with my writing. Writing for me is finally (finally!) way more important than fear. I am talking about what I am doing and what I write with my mother, the criticizer I have feared most of all. She listens, but I am not sure she understands. That's OK because she tries to listen. As long as she tries to listen, I will try to explain. For me, writing is self-expression in a thoughtful way that allows me to take the time to express myself and share my stories. This is my first year believing in myself, in believing in my writing. Why is this so hard to do? Why do we feel that it needs to be something better than what it is to us for it to have meaning? I have read that art is nothing if it does not fill a need in an audience, but it also needs to fill a need within ourselves.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

200. kiwiadrift says:

Yesss! Congratulations on finding your courage and continuing to write! :D This makes me happy and makes me feel like I can get where I want to go too (blogging, life, not really writing-writing per-se). Also — perfect timing? I’m actually wearing that Running Rhino threadless shirt today!

201. taraleigh90 says:

Thanks for the inspiration.

202. Three words: Freaking amazing post.

203. That quote caught my attention today when I was just feeling down and wondering about the future. I guess, some things are more important than the ‘fear’ of the outcome…

204. This post is an inspiration and, YOU, also is an inspiration. “keep moving forward” -that’s the line in the movie, The Robinsons.
    Thanks for this. Hope to read more of you! :)

205. amber913 says:

I really can relate to this. I’ve always love writing and stories just pop into my head and I believe they are amazing stories. But I doubt my ability to bring the story to life. And I’ll start writing and thinking it’s going well, doubt creeps in and I never end up finishing. I am working on it though! I don’t like being so hard on myself because if I don’t try and put myself out there I’ll never know how things would go and I’ll always be left wondering how great it could of been.

206. vesna says:

” just couldn’t believe that no one had written the story that I had just invented.”
    I think this is the supreme achievement in writing, in realizing that you were right to write… One should keep that feeling after always, in adult life, after hundreds of stories… I and I really think your writing is good, and your thinking is excellent. And I ve never seen almost three hundred commnets on one article!

207. Rob says:

Thank you for sharing. That’s a wonderful story and an inspirational post. I can relate to the multiple periods of not-writing, I am constantly telling myself I am not good enough, and sometimes stop writing for months or years at a time. But I always come back in the end, and that is what is important I think.

208. richamohan says:

“I wrote just for the sake of writing. And I had lots of fun.

Writing this or that story, not worrying about deadlines or whether or not people were going to like what I wrote.”

Thank you for writing this. I needed to hear exactly this right now. I don’t know if writing is something that came to me, or I adapted it. I have had another dream. But truth be told, writing is what I have always done no matter what for as long as I can remember. Maybe even before I was born!

209. Cristian, this post almost made me cry in a good way. It inspired me to really pursue my dream. Like you, I want to be a writer. The next time fear creeps into my mind, I will think of this essay of yours and the quote about courage you shared. Maybe, I’ll even hear someone whisper, “say it in your voice.” Btw, I just downloaded a copy of Memento Mori. Will read it tonight. I can even write a review when I get some time off from my currently busy sched.

210. “Face forward, even in the unbearable heat,” alright! Ah, I was suddenly reminded of those lyrics from “Children Record…”

211. gjbabyy says:

Thank you. It’s very inspirational.

212. “After I finished it, I just wanted to write something as good as it. I just wanted to make someone feel the same way that novel made me feel.” Thanks for that.

213. Wow, Cristian. Great post. Loved what you said, i’m a writer because I write. And I totally agree with what you said about ‘just write’…one shouldn’t worry about all those other things at all. Thank you, this has inspired me a lot. I do love writing, but mostly I get worried about whether anyone will like it or not. I’ll keep this in mind whenever I write. :)

214. anguscroix says:

and thus, Love is the source of all courage.

215. sitiagel says:

“When you do your thing, it doesn’t matter (and it shouldn’t) what others are going to think about it. When you write, you should stop worrying about whether or not people are going to like your story, whether or not someone’s going to read it, whether or not they’ll care. You should stop worrying whether or not you have something to say or you just want to say something, because you do have something to say.”

That’s extremely true and I agree with that.

It once happened at me when I wanted to write on my blog. Fyi, I write everything on my blog.. it’s almost about my daily life. The ridiculous thing is that I overthink about everything that I’m going to write. Is it good to read? Will it make me look like a stupid dumb person? Will the reader like it? What if they don’t? And so on.. and so on..
    And then there was a point that click in my mind saying that.. I’m writing this down on my blog, my OWN blog.. my HOME. And like you said.. it doesn’t matter what people think about my writing. Home is the most save place on earth that I can do all the most stupid thing inside it. Home is a place where I can be myself free without minding what others say. Home is my blog.

216. ray032 says:

Very good writing Cristian! The Spirit of the letter is Excellent!!! I shared it on my FB page with an appropriate introduction, I think!

217. Sparrow says:

This is just what I needed to read…I paint and draw and I am currently in a season of life that should be titled “Rejection”. So I am praying and drudging on and trying to continue making what’s in my head something the world can see. It is for sure a darker time, but I sometimes think that these times give birth to great things. It would be nice though if greatness went hand in hand with success. C’est la vie…

218. I am enjoying getting to know your writing, Cristian, by reading back through this blog. I have a similar favorite quote–well, I’m a bit of a quote-o-phile, if that’s a word, so it’s one of my favorites (i.e., I can’t pick only one!): “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear—not absence of fear,” in Pudd’nhead Wilson by Mark Twain. What you’ve said is so apt; to be a writer, I have believed for some time, one needs only define her/himself as a writer and then follow through on the craft. As for Dune, I wish I could say that I’ve read it; my husband has and has always urged me to read it as well. Sadly, I’m not as well-read as I’d like to be in the science fiction and fantasy genres. I, too, have written for all the reasons you mention, and remember some of my early writings, when I burned to write like my heroes at the time: Stephen King, Koontz, Barker, and so on. In any case, thank you for doing what you’re doing (not only blogging and educating bloggers, but fiction-writing)–keep it up!

219. stephaniewetherhill says:

I hope you don’t mind, I shared this post on twitter! It captures why I blog myself! Thank you for freeing me up a little! Thank you!

220. Terrific, interesting, informative, thought provoking! Certainly inspiring! And everyone seems to agree. This is valuable to help people relax about their writing… The sci-fi novel is a great idea. You know, we take ideas from Sci-Fi writers, develop their ideas, and that’s how the future comes about; we map it as we go! Tremendous insight!

221. You write so beautifully! Thanks for the inspiration and the quality content.

222. Xeno Hemlock says:

Great post! So encouraging.

223. julie says:

Cristian, you and I obviously think alike. I’ve just used Ambrose Redmoon’s quote in a post….they’re words that will never age, and will always touch people’s hearts.

224. Nana Adu-Kofi says:

Thank you for this! Very inspiring!

225. Your writing and you, are simply Awesome!!

226. Couldn’t have needed your counsel in a more simplified version: JUST WRITE.

Well, now I’ve sticked these words into my subconsious mind.

Prosper… Prosper… JUST WRITE!

227. Really like your posts and the topics that you choose to write about.. Especially this post about how you started writing.. It’s very inspiring.. I also enjoyed reading your latest post on blogging rules.. Very helpful.!! Thanks

228. Gypsy Bev says:

I consider myself a writer, whether anyone else does or not. It is my passion and joy in life. I would rather write than do almost anything else.

229. Wonderful post (love the image at the top! Run, rhino!!). Some much needed food for thought here. The unbearable frustration when someone can’t see the brilliance (as you see it) of a story you wrote or and idea you had never leaves you – but that’s part of what gives you the determination to keep going ;-)

230. Pals says:

I so relate to you… I wrote my first poem just like that accidently… one night checking emails and FB, I just started writing something in my gmail compose and 30 mins later it turned out to be a poem. Showed it a couple of friends and it was my third poem that got me the courage to put it on blog. Until then I didnt knw wt I am writing, why I am writing… I was just writing :)

231. Esabella says:

“I wrote because I knew my stories would never come true, and I wrote because I hoped they would.” It sounds so poetic and touching. I have been writing poems since I was 13 years old. And I have always felt like I do write good. Received praises, and buck ups and the advices to write more and keep writing. I started blogging on 24th December 2012 and now I have two blogs. I love doing it and I wish I would be able to bring it to a higher and bigger level where more number of people will like and appreciate it.
    Thanks for writing this post. It boosts me up to keep going. :)

232. Exciting story! I liked so much!

233. ritz says:

Brilliantly written! After reading this blog i am so inspired. When i started with my blog had a fear of ,what if People will not like my blogs…But as you said – All that matters are the words you write.

And i am writing for my own self!!!

Thanks a lot!

234. So inspirational and so beautifully written, Cristian! Brilliant!