Whatever it takes

whateverAn artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn’t know why they choose him and he’s usually too busy to wonder why. He is completely amoral in that he will rob, borrow, beg, or steal from anybody and everybody to get the work done. The writer’s only responsibility is to his art.William Faulkner

Writing is kind of difficult. Even if you write only for yourself, or maybe especially when you write for yourself. It takes an enormous amount of courage to write about things you’d much rather forget, to confront serious issues. It takes a lot of courage to write something most people would never have the courage to write.

And this is true for all artists. In order for your art to matter to someone else other than you, it’s required that you address a certain issue you care deeply about. Whatever you’re writing about, it needs to be something you feel strongly about. Love it, hate it, want it fixed(if it’s broken), but you need to have the strength to shout it to the entire world.

Now, the strange thing is that when your heart is out there, for everyone to see and analyze and criticize and whatnot, you might get the feeling that this is the ultimate sacrifice, and everything else pales in comparison.

Just think about it.

So, yes, Faulkner was right. It takes this sort of commitment, and nothing less, to write something worth reading. It takes a sort of obsessive passion about your subject matter to make people feel.

We do what we have to do to get the job done. Whatever it takes. Sometimes because there’s no one else, and sometimes because we feel we can do a better job than those before us.

For me to write, I need time. Crucial aspect, actually. In order to have time (because it does take time to produce something you’re satisfied with) you need money. Hence the crowd-funding.

Sometimes life’s funny like that, and it does its best to teach you that certain things are out of your control. This is one of them, and I’m honestly ashamed and angry I have to rely on others in order to keep doing what I love doing most. If all this would take less time than it does, I would have found an alternative.

But posts don’t write themselves, and comments don’t get magically read and approved. Oh, and just don’t mention the e-mails.

Right now, there are still about 59 hours left to contribute. The final countdown. $384 to go, lots of perks still available. And only you can make it happen.

If you like this blog, if you want to read more, now’s the time to contribute. You can do so here.

Like I always say, every dollar counts, because every dollar helps me write for a little longer. And I do write quite a lot of every dollar that gets the green bar closer to completion.

Once again, thank you all for your support,

Cristian

35 comments on “Whatever it takes

1. militza says:

It is indeed courage to be yourself and show it to the world. As someone who’s left her hart on the dance floor, I believed and still believe the biggest virtue in the fact of being “exposed” is the feeling of complete freedom.

2. Aeryk says:

Good luck, my friend.

3. Brooke says:

To open your heart indeed takes great courage,but,to be gifted to write is a gift to be shared and enjoyed by others of a similar nature,I hope we can continue to obtain the pleasure of reading from a special person with such a gift……………Never give up your passion

4. I like what Faulkner said about demons. It explains why every time I walk by a thermometer the temperature is 66.6 degrees.

5. tar2480 says:

Thank you for your courage to put your heart out to the world. It has been my experience that sometimes people are so strong because they have had to learn to rely on others to be who they are and to do what they love. It’s never easy, but it may just lead to being able to do what you love and find the financial ability to continue to do so in the future. I’m kinda in that place myself just now and hoping for a more secure future or the strength to rely on others kindness and help.

6. Aldous Smith (A.H. Richards) says:

If I could contribute, believe me, I would. Being a fellow writer, I barely make ends meet, and all the money I get goes into ‘buying me time’ in order to write. Henry Miller did exactly what you are doing, albeit without a computer. It kept him alive. I wish you far more success than he had.

7. by the end of the day it’s going to happen :)

8. midisparks says:

commitment is like putting the weight fully on your arms during a pushup and going slowly, slowly down, slowly, slowly up, feeling it all the way up, all the way down. yes, my friend – it takes time this process. i felt your post a lot. keep going!

9. wildinvirginia says:

Whilst unable to contribute financially – you have an audience of “Wish we could get paid for this ” writers lol, I would like to at least offer my compliments.

Writing from the heart takes guts, especially when you write emotively and where your friends and family can see it and hold you accountable. I wrote a blog entry on finding faith and the presence of God yesterday, following the tornado in Oklahoma and the tragic loss of life of seven children. I have just posted on my personal Facebook account about tolerance in my U.K homeland for the Muslim community in the face of two animals hacking a man to death in the name of Allah and Jihad on the streets of London.

I think I may have to hide out in a cave for a while ….

Keep your integrity and write from the heart – you do it well.

10. I agree with you about creating something that make people feel. I am selfish in a sense because the art that I create I horde it and keep it in a safe place, away from critics and the nay-sayers. It takes courage to just put yourself out there and not care about what anybody thinks. You have this thing, idea, concept that you have to get out! I think that I am growing to the point that I don’t care what people think, so I think that I am finally embracing the artist that is within. Keep writing, as you have to get it out!

11. naomimgruer says:

I was stunned to discover the physical forms of my demons in a painting attributed to Michelangelo at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

12. sisteranan says:

When people talk about sacrificing themselves for their art, it seems so large and heroic… not at all like the choices i’ve had to make, like working for bakeries and orchards and hotels just to come home at the end of the day and pick up my real work of becoming a human being in the best way i know… through the struggle at the end of a pen. I wonder if contests would lend you the capital you need to continue? Your work is certainly good enough…

13. pearl says:

“It takes an enormous amount of courage to write about things you’d much rather forget, to confront serious issues. It takes a lot of courage to write something most people would never have the courage to write.”

I av known this part.. I couldnt hold a pencil for 2 years together..more than that….rather…and then realised its even more painful to not be able to write……… :)

Good luck and blessed be!

14. deathsinterlude says:

Such a great post! Speaking of amorality and corruption, it’s funny how I read this post after I exposed the corruption at Drexel University in my latest blog post.

15. It’s such as you scan my mind! You appear to grasp such a lot regarding this, such as you wrote the book in it or one thing. i believe that you simply will do with a couple of mints to drive the message home a trifle bit, however rather than that, this is often glorious diary. an amazing scan. I’ll actually be back. many thanks for the great write-up. It if truth be told was associate degree amusement accounts it. Look advanced to a lot of add agreeable from you! By the approach, however might we have a tendency to communicate in Life?thank you and wish to write many interesting story.

16. cari365 says:

Your work is ALWAYS so profound and honest. I did a painting called the “Exorcism” in a post Painting saved my Soul. depicting what you are describing. Cristian, dont give up. I keep seeing you like a Phoenix, as hard as this time is, I sincerely feel it will pass and propell you to greater hieghts. Life is often a Huge challenge, however my experience tells me…You Will Rise above and through this!!!

17. charlypriest says:

Seems like all of us writers are all broke, I feel a little better now. Just keep keeping on, or get an un-paid blog. I bet me and the others will still follow you. Good luck and stay FROSTYYYY!

18. edmar88 says:

You really have no reason to feel ashamed or angry Cristian. We must depend on others, there is no other way. You are providing something of great value & quality to other people, & you deserve to receive a fair amount of pay for your work. It is like giving you thanks for what you have contributed. It is an expression of appreciation from others.

19. Done. Now keep writing.

20. I gave…hope you received it! Not much but every little bit helps! Good luck!

21. jennytew says:

Thanks for your words, Cristian, I don’t feel so alone now. Every day brings its own struggles, but while I’m writing I am free.

22. I agree you need to know the constraints, discourse, and your audience before you write. However, sometimes I find it difficult when I have all those things in mind. My imagination has multiple doors and when I think people are going to read my work some doors close. I am learning to block out that voice,”oh my work isn’t good enough” and just write, even if I’m just reading it. It’s not certain that everything you write will be published. Yet, it helps to write about everything to expand your imagination and craft.

23. cari365 says:

You made it!!!!!!! I’m truly thrilled for you!! :D

24. Mark says:

This is so true, and something I’m battling with at the moment – trying to harness my own wild muse!

25. lunademasi says:

‘It takes a sort of obsessive passion about your subject matter to make people feel.’

It’s so true.

26. iprattis says:

An interesting balance. I sometimes write books but most of the time they write me..then I am useful with respect to editing, punctuation and spelling errors!

27. Good luck, my friend.

28. jackie says:

Wow, such a creative way to fund your work, well done. Great post, I especially empathize with the importance of obsession when it comes to writing–when I am knee-deep in a manuscript I think about it all the time. Thanks for the follow.

29. I never thought about asking others to donate to my writing cause. It would have been great to have cash to cover the publishing costs. I’m hoping for an advance on my next book, but then that means no royalties until the advance is covered. C’est la vie. I’ll pray for you.

30. audrina1759 says:

Deep. At least to me it is. This post gave me something to think about.

31. I like your writing not just because it inspires me but because you’ve got such fervour. Your passion for your art is impressive and I really admire it.
    I wish you luck with your projects in the future. :)

32. Hi Cristian!
    I love reading what you write & I do have to use a lot of books myself through libraries in order to fund my objectives. I use what I read & sometimes I end up taking parts of sentences to make my blog good too. Not everything costs money, but like the internet or going to a public place to use their WiFi in a restaurant or coffee shop does have a price also. I use the money I have to pay for my internet & cable for TV, but writing using the subjects I do are usually what I think is interesting too. I love this post too & I do take things from others also & change the way they were written to create my own. I do hope you will come & read my 2 blogs at http://lynnsblogs.wordpress.com & http://healthywaystolive.wordpress.com where you can see & tell me what you think of what I write about. Thanks for this spectacular post & have a great day!
    Rodney