Don’t think, just write!

Benjamin Franklin once wrote that we should either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing. I believe that we all aspire for greatness, one way or another.

I also believe that sometimes all we need is a little bit of confidence. We can be better, smarter or faster than we are. A century ago, people were dreaming of flying, trying and failing, falling on the ground. But why do people fall? Why do they continue to fight when all hope seems to be lost? I believe it is because it is in our nature to fight, to try to find something in the darkness of the things we do not understand, in the chaos that surrounds us.

There’s but a thin line between success and failure. Tell yourself that until you believe it.

I know a lot of young, aspiring writers who don’t want the pain. They don’t want the stress and they don’t want to put in the effort that is required to create something great. They spend way too much time waiting for some stupid muse to come their way, they want for everything they write to be brilliant.

They don’t want sentences that don’t make sense, they don’t want to produce page after page of bad writing. They want instant greatness.

Some believe this is how things are. They are wrong. You have to be willing to fail hundreds and hundreds of times before you create something wonderful. It’s all trial and error, and what really separates us is how much we are willing to work before we tell ourselves our stories are ready.

That is all.

Don’t over think it, don’t tell yourself what you are doing is more than what it is, don’t try to impress anyone. Don’t play it safe either.

Simply write like yourself, and write exactly what you want people to read.

Our greatness is limited only but what we believe to be the very best we can do.

***

With 20 days to go, we’re currently at 17% funded, and we’re $243 from reaching our second level. Cool new perks have been made available.

If you want to help us release this collection of short stories, you can contribute here.

41 comments on “Don’t think, just write!

1. Your right on buddy, very similar to one of my favourite quotes:

“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”

I think about this quote during some of the darkest times.

Your article was very well written, good on ya!!

Jay

2. artzent says:

This is so true and I know it well!

3. kcharbneau says:

Thanks so much. I needed this bit of inspiration :)

4. The Weirdo says:

You are a genius. Thanks.

5. Love this! It isn’t the first time that you’ve written about the exact thing that has been on my mind. All day yesterday I sat staring at a blank screen, trying to figure out what to write. Then, when I was up in the middle of the night I just started writing and didn’t stop until the words were gone. Chances were it wasn’t going to be brilliant, but just as you said, “don’t over think it, don’t tell yourself what you are doing is more than what it is, don’t try to impress anyone…Simply write like yourself” It was amazing how soundly I slept after the catharsis.

Feel free to check it out, by the way: http://currenttempo.blogspot.com Although you may find one of the older posts to be more “finished” or refined…

And thanks, again, for the insight – I love the Franklin quote too!

6. Shine says:

The perfect is the enemy of the good

7. avwalters says:

Too many want to be writers, without wanting to write…..

8. Very encouraging post. Thanks for this!

9. bamauthor says:

Be yourself….good advice. Some people are so busy trying to impress others, they forget who they really are!

10. True story! This inspires me!

11. Stylaphile says:

Wow! Needed to hear this today. I’ve been working on a book for some time now and keep putting off my writing. I’ll procrastinate all day long when I know I should just sit down and write. But there’s always that fear that what I write will be crap. Thanks for the kick in the butt!

12. I couldn’t agree more. Failure is an essential ingredient of success. Already this year, I’ve been rejected by about two dozen journals and turned down for three writing gigs. Today, though, I got the absolutely best rejection. It said essentially, “You are a superman with words… But we’ve already hired another writer. Maybe another time.”

Often failure teaches us more about how to succeed than success does.

13. Kuya Edel says:

Superlike :) This is very inspiring. Thank you for this.

14. sonworshiper says:

When i started playing piano, I could only plunk out a melody with my right hand, halting and uncertain at best. Then once I got the right hand figured out, I had to learn to incorporate the left hand. Then chords, and arpeggios, scales, rhythm, syncopation, changes in dynamics… all along the way, if I was challenging myself, it sounded fairly bad.
    Now I can play well, and I don’t think about what got me there or look back on it as a burden like I did when I was young. It takes time, effort, and willingness to suck at a thing until all of a sudden we don’t suck anymore.
    Great post, Cristian!

15. Rabab Maher (^_^) رباب ماهر says:

‘No thinking. That comes later. You write your first draft . . . with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is . . . to write. Not to think.’ – Forrester from ‘Finding Forester’

16. I enjoyed reading this post.

17. smilingbug says:

This is wonderful, very encouraging. Thank you.

18. Thanks I needed this today.

19. pankajrawat says:

Great post! Till sometime back I was also playing very safe, waiting for the right idea/story to strike me but now I write what I feel like. I don’t wait for the perfect poem or a story, just start writing and review that later.

20. Amber Dane says:

Thanks for sharing this inspiring post!

21. Ayesha says:

A very inspiring read for those of us aspiring to write beyond the immediacy of blogging! Really enjoyed this piece, will now go and finish off that chapter of my book I have been struggling to write for the past month. Xx

22. “Don’t over think it, don’t tell yourself what you are doing is more than what it is, don’t try to impress anyone.”

This applies to making art to. You just gotta do it. : )

23. I find it to be so true what you said about the young aspiring writers, and not only those, everyone today wants to get to the top the easy way, using shortcuts and whatever they think they need. The only way is to sit and work, and that’s how you realize that you deserve to get to the top! Thank you for always posting such inspiring posts!

24. fractalgal says:

Love your posts…so inspiring!

25. naomimgruer says:

I love your line, “There’s a thin line between success and failure. Tell yourself that until you believe it”! I just participated in my first Twitter pitch party and got no nibbles on four completed ms’s. I am so disappointed! I truly believe in my work but there’s no validation if its sits unread.

26. nancyrae4 says:

Thanks for the reminder! Just write, keep working, keep creating – no matter what.

27. Just think, I was thinking (yes, over-thinking it actually) about what to write for my next blog post. I should just write. Thanks, I needed this.

28. Kat says:

Just what I needed to hear when my writing confidence faltered :) Thank you! I put my first book words out there on my blog this week and was SO scared it was rubbish! You inspire me to go on and, in case you are interested, here are my first words http://bourbontea.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/hopeful-flower/. Time to make more tea and get writing! :D Have a great day x

29. Aisha says:

So true!! Love this!

30. arkainin says:

Great Post! I for one have experienced the issue of wanting my work to be perfect all to often. The best cure I have found is to stop trying to write some great epic work, and just do a TON of short stories based in the same world. I find I spend more time writing and less time worrying when writing short stories.

31. cheesyplinky says:

Inspiring Indeed. Great! :)

32. Oftentimes I am afraid of what people will say about my writing. Sometimes I write and after publishing I feel that it wasn’t good enough. Your post is very encouraging and I will think of it each time I get nervous about wanting to be great all the time.. Thanks!

33. mwanawapate says:

Brilliant! Writing can be so scary, but this gives me courage.

34. Michelle says:

Certainly something to remember!

35. Reuben says:

Oh my. Am I blown away by your site. This is everything that I, as a writer, aspire to build.

Thanks so much for following, and sharing with me the possibilities that lay before me. I am in love with the design, the ideas, and the content here, so forgive me if I overstay my visit. :)

36. Beautifully said!
    If you could read my mind, you’d know that I’m a great writer. My problem is getting the story from my mind onto paper.

37. deepa says:

Thanks for reminding us that all a writer needs to do is simply write. And the words begin to flow, however imperfect. Their presence reminds you that you are on your way.

38. Good writing comes from a lot of writing (practice) and through the numerous pages of unedited thought we find the golden nuggets once polished. This is a great article. So glad to have come across your blog!