Your story

I think that if you keep writing at some point you’ll write your first story; the first piece of fiction that truly belongs to you, not only in terms of style and technique, but also story-line and characters. Simply put, at a certain stage in the development of the artist, he learns to write from the heart.

It’s that moment when you write something that’s truly good: a story that your taste tells you it’s good. Just as good as the stories you’ve always worshiped, when you write a story like yourself, not like someone else.

The first time I wrote like myself was when I was sixteen, and I had to write a short story for a competition. I spent 33 hours writing this novella, and I don’t remember sleeping. It was overwhelming. I was mesmerized by the power of what it meant to write something you care about… there’s nothing to break you at that point.

The world outside your window becomes a shadow of a shadow, and people become ghosts, voices faint echoes.

For the first time, I knew what I had to do with a blank page, because the image had been engraved on my brain for so, so long. It felt like setting up a domino. I had done the hard work months and years in advance, and in a quick succession, it was all there… on the page.

I won the competition, and for a long time I believed it to be the only true piece of writing I’d ever write. Mostly because I soon got back to what I was previously doing, which was to write pretty but empty words with the clear goal of making people feel the beauty I was so desperate to show them.

It’s a tough thing to master, I suppose. Writing your story the way you want to is difficult when you’re worried what others will think about it.

The thing about writing is that it’s not when you feel words bleeding out of your heart that you create real art. If you try too much, if you want it too much, you’re probably going to fail. I know I did, countless times. You need to be somewhere in between worlds: the real one outside your window, and the one you’re building on the page.

But that, I’m afraid, takes longer to master than anything else related to writing.

After collecting virtual dust for almost seven years I decided to translate this novella into English and release it. Now, something interesting happened. It felt like someone else had written that story. My style and technique were different, mainly because now I such shorter sentences and paragraphs. It felt odd to read something that felt so foreign.

It was me, but it wasn’t the me I’m now.

Anyway, I tried to preserve the same vision and style of the original piece. If I managed that or not, you’ll be able to judge it tomorrow, when An Emperor’s Will goes live.

32 comments on “Your story

1. White Pearl says:

Absolutely agree ! Wonderfully written.

2. My favourite writer Henry Miller said something similar when he felt he’d finally written something that was authentic and real – ” I’d become the ‘I’ of my I…”
    I totally agree. We all have a feeling when we’ve created something of quality, when we are telling something truthful, as opposed to showboating or trying to please an audience.

3. Wow…you captured it exactly.

4. katiajohnsen says:

I know the feeling. Of the story turning into someone elses translating it. Thats why i keep working on my english – to freely write the language, and be in the inbetween you so beautifully describe even as a foreigner. Thank you. You hit the spot!

5. rubble2bubble says:

You spoke to my heart with this piece. Especially since I just published my whimsical story, “The Rebel Bubble Blowers on a like. Like you, I looked at my old poetry, my old cartoons…and I felt like you did. I’ve somehow changed. Yet, this story…it just makes me VIBRATE with fun…

I so appreciate your offerings to us…

6. ryan8food says:

Well, shoot, now I want to read your story! Early release? Joking. I’m excited to see te post tomorrow.

7. Ezekiel Fish says:

Great info for any would-be writers out there or anyone interested in writing. I agree with all the above, plus I think that it takes real bravery to write from the heart and a certain dedication is needed. Simply put though I love to write, love the whole process, which is a reward in itself.

Really nice to meet you Cristian.

e

8. Courtney says:

Beautifully written. This definitely struck home for me.

9. silgtavares says:

Indeed this is probably the hardest thing about writing: “You need to be somewhere in between worlds: the real one outside your window, and the one you’re building on the page”…

But this is the most beautiful: “It felt odd to read something that felt so foreign. It was me, but it wasn’t the me I’m now.”

Love your writing! Pleasure to meet you and your words!

10. slewriter says:

Yes, I agree with you. Once I began writing, I lose count of time. My husband will tell me to take a brake get away from the computer. I do so to appease him. He worries about me stting for so long. I love to watch a story take shape. I, too enjoy reading my new writer friends and observe the difference from the first chapter to the twenty-second chaper. Great changes are made by leaps and bounds.
    Good blog. Thanks.

11. Absolutely! Now, you have made me wait with bated breath for the release of your book. :)

12. It’s just so pleasant to read what you write about. . Thank you for the inspiration. ;-)

13. Beautifully written and so very true.

14. I hope that one day I can write as beautifully and eloquently as you. This is great.

15. Ana says:

I totally agree with you. If you pen your story effortlessly it shows. Looking forward to your next post.

16. Most of the time when I read stories that I wrote even a couple years ago, I think they sound terrible. The older they are the worse they get. I guess that’s what happens when you write a lot and you improve day by day…

17. Arphaxad says:

That was intense. As a new writer myself I have felt this in .passing and I think that is why I feel drawn to write now. I can’t wait till it happens to the same extent and fills my whole story, as it did for you.

18. gus says:

Break a leg on the release of the book

19. AncesTrees says:

“It was me, but it wasn’t the me I’m now.” says it so correctly. I felt it, but didn’t know how to say it. Thanks for putting this into words, and giving us all the permission to change and grow.

20. binvested says:

Lovely piece, as always. Congrats on new release.

21. designrae says:

Looking forward to the release! Your words feel so authentic.

22. Thank you. This inspired me today

23. afratesi says:

What an excellent way to put this. It’s so easy to be overwhelmed while looking at a blank page, and this really puts things into perspective.

24. People tell me I have a voice but honestly I can’t see it when I’m writing it. I can only see it later after I’ve changed. You are very lucky to have had the experience of recognizing your writing style when you saw it. Even if it was just once. I hope that you can find your way back there again.

25. mesteimel says:

I really enjoyed reading this, over the summer I started writing a book as well and with that, and between my blog writings, I’ve felt the desire of wanting the words to flow to much, and the constant swing between “I’m an amazing a writing” and “This is terrible! No one will want to read it!” It’s good to know that if you can push through the ups and downs you can write something that feels true!

26. nrithebook says:

I think the best part about translating your own story is that you got a chance to reconnect with you as you were ‘then’… all the best with the book

27. izzyaew says:

I try so hard to write, I have started many pieces but stop because I don’t like it, don’t have time or it’s just terrible. I hope I can learn to write as beautifully as you and get the buzz from writing that so obviously drives you.

28. alexraphael says:

Wonderful article. I can still remember my first short story too. They were all really serious until about my fourth one when I find my humourous voice. I still have them.

29. geanieroake says:

It is interesting to read over things you wrote long ago. I don’t necessarily think my old stuff is worse, though I’ve come a long way in my editing skills, but it’s an indiction of how I’ve evolved over the years. Different things push my buttons now, and I’ve lightened up quite a bit. You got me thinking. Thanks.