Are you ready for NaNoWriMo?

nanoprepWith less than two weeks before the start of NaNoWriMo everyone’s going nuts over planning, outlining, what kind of software to use, and whether or not they’ll have the courage to write fifty thousand words in a single month. It’s like something bad is going to happen if they don’t reach their goal.

The idea behind NaNoWriMo is to encourage people to write.

“Don’t think, just write.”

They don’t have to worry about all the stuff writers usually worry about. They simply have to sit down at their desks and write. And to do that, the only requirement is time.

So, do you have enough time to write fifty thousand words in a month?

Everything else is pretty much nonsense. If you don’t usually plan or outline, doing so now won’t help you. In fact, you should write in the most comfortable manner possible: just they way you’re used to. Doing stuff differently will only take you away from reaching your goal.

Also, because no one’s going to behead you in your sleep on the 1st of December if you do not meet your goal, there’s no real pressure. Tell yourself that, over and over again: there’s no pressure, no panic, no stress. If you win, it’s nice. If you fail, you’ll still have some pages of stuff you’ll either use or not.

The thing is, most aspiring writers want to create gold. It doesn’t work like that.

So the real question is: are you ready to invest enough time for you to write fifty thousand words?

As long as the answer is yes, you’ll be fine. Writing is all about determination, perseverance, and a lot of coffee. Or whisky, if you’re into that sort of thing.

If you’d like to take part in NaNoWriMo, you can also visit this group on Facebook, where you’ll get the chance to inspire/motivate or be inspired/motivated by other folks. Kind of cool, if you ask me.

***

For a more dynamic experience you can like my Facebook page, where I post interesting quotes on art, inspiration, writing, and so on. Oh, and pictures and stuff.

Also, you can follow me on Twitter if you’re into that sort of thing.

30 comments on “Are you ready for NaNoWriMo?

1. Jay Dee says:

No chance. I tried last year, but because my wife wasn’t working and my daughter was home all the time, I had no time. They occupied my time. Now my wife is working, but quitting her job at the end of this month, and I’m back to having less time due to her taking up my time. Anyway, I’m already working on something, and it’s not exactly the kind of thing that would work with NaNoWriMo. And it’ll likely be less than 50,000 words.

2. eurekascarlet says:

I am not good in writing, but may I know where I can possibly read about the information on this NaNoWriMo? Thank you in Advance..^_^

3. thetarotman says:

Cristian, thank you for this post.

I AM going to state that I AM not ready for National Novel Writing Month. When I have thought about writing books, I have always thought about Metaphysical/Nonfiction.

However, in the past there have been a few “novel” ideas.

Alas, historically September through December is the busiest time of the year for me, and a lot of my writing has been on the backburner, what with private Readings, Readings at public venues, and leading Metaphysical Classes.

Nonetheless, regarding NaNoWriMo, I shall “keep calm and support on!”

Thank you for all your brilliant and beautiful writing.

4. @makingkai says:

Sounds cool! Will check out on Facebook. Thank for the post :)

5. avwalters says:

I use it as a kickstart. I’ve never ‘won’ but I’ve used NaNoWriMo as a springboard to launch two full blown novels. Maybe this year I’ll get the 50,000 words, but if not, I’m sure I’ll finish the first draft of The Trial of Trudy Castor. NaNoWriMo taught me that I can write–maybe anybody can–as long as you stick with it. Creativity is a very small ‘d’ democratic attribute.

6. I signed up, that’s the first step ;)…Let’s see how it goes. This is the first time that I am going to participate….nerve-racking!!!!

7. I’m going to try it – I used to think it was impossible to write so much so regularly, but this blogging thing makes me that it’s physically possible to do this. And your point about the only constraint being time is very true – now we have an excuse to write stuff that’s not our best!

8. I’m already working on two novels. With school and work, I’m happy to just find the time to write in the evenings. I’ll leave NaNoWriMo till next year, when I hopefully have a little more time.

9. Aussa Lorens says:

I’m still on the fence. The time constraints are a concern and I don’t like setting myself up for failure when it comes to writing… but I still have a few days left to follow the impulse. I just followed you all over the social media planet so maybe you can inspire me towards that whim ;)

10. blastedgoat says:

I just revived my account (I took last year off) but I do want to try again. I made it to 50,000 in 2011 and am still working on that novel! It was nice to get a bunch of ideas down even if much of the story has changed in re-writes. Good luck to everyone who enters, you are sure to come up with a few good ideas at the very least so no worries :D

11. I’m so excited!!! I just signed up to participate for the first time.

12. I’ve been saying for about 2 years I’ll have a go at NaNoWriMo but always chickened out at the thought of having to write 50,000 words in one month. As a student I don’t have much spare time but since reading this I’m tempted to just get in stuck in and not feel so pressured!

13. Tua says:

Oh thank goodness for you. I was really getting all stressed out with the NaNoWriMo prep. alone. I really needed the Facebook group’s link to hear from other people sailing in the same boat. Thanks! :)

14. Thanks for reminding me about NaNoWriMo. Every year, I plan to try it (so I can say I have tried at least once), but then I forget all about it. Hopefully this will help me pick up my abandoned novel. Thanks again, Christian Mihai!

15. Oh, and I liked this so much that I shared it on twitter. Thanks again for this amazing blog.

16. emberyn says:

Every year I bounce between “Nope, not this year” and “I’M FINISHING THIS TIME AROUND!” I do think I’ll tackle it as a jump start to my novel (finally).

17. Thanks for doing a blog post about this event! The library I work at is participating and promoting it, and we’re holding events for aspiring writers. I think it’s a wonderful opportunity for beginning or experienced writers, or anyone who has had an interest in writing.

18. This sounds very interesting! I will give the facebook group a look when I have the chance today.

19. Venom says:

“Hell no!” was my reaction when I read the title on my “Reader”. Every since I discovered NaNoWriMo a couple of years ago, I have never been ready. I may have some time to squeeze a couple of thousand words a day, but that’s if and only if I had a story to write. Also, November is the month where midterms happen for me, so I will be having less time. I’ve always wanted to join though, so maybe I can try and fail anyways? You are right, nobody is going to behead me. . . I hope!

20. This is a level and common-sense look at Nanowrimo. Simply, nanowrimo is not about quality, it is about quantity, and there is a point in every writer’s journey where creating a volume of words is a way of improving and growing. Nanowrimo is often the first time many starting writers are faced with a deadline, and a daunting one at that. It helps you determine your commitment and wear-with-all, and you do this for yourself and no one else. Still, if you are serious – get a partner so you can encourage each other and cry on each others shoulders on the really tough days (which hit about day 8-14). Not a group – a partner. Something intimate enough to goad and personally encourage.

I’ve done Nanowrimo before. It nearly killed me.
    This is why:

Keep up the great blog.

21. Topaz says:

I am ready! This will be my third year. Can’t wait!

22. marsreine says:

That is a lot of words but I am going to shoot for it. If nothing else, the goal will be motivating to keep tapping away at the keys and worse come to worse, I get to say I’m further along than I was before I started. An amazing idea.

23. bloggirl52 says:

I’m so happy to have followed up on NaNoWriMo after reading your post. Inspired by your point that it is about inspiring us to write, not win, I am doing it! Thank you. I do happen to have the time, too much perhaps, and am now really looking forward to seeing what I can do with it!

24. AshleyM says:

I always attempt NaNoWriMo. I don’t always finish it. It’s a sad sad state of affairs :P

25. cupcakenova says:

Signed up. We will see what happens. Even if I don’t get the full 50,000 words at least I’ll finally get all these story ideas out of my head and into writing.

26. I signed up. I see it is against the rules to count words from an existing document. So, I will be adding 50k words on top of the 5.3k that i already have :)

27. meetonline says:

Thanks for this. A blessed day!

28. Leslie says:

I say that I will do it every year and I don’t. I think this is the year I buckle down and participate :)

29. I’m NaNoing right now: http://vanmaclellan.com/2013/10/01/118/
    OctoNaNo is what I’m calling it. I’m nearly done! Good luck!

30. VelanédeBeauté says:

The facebook group -Thank you for that. :D
    Could you do a post for the starters? I mean, now that you’re ages ahead of writing your first novel, is there something you recall when you were just writing your first novel? How to deal with Writer’s block and how to ignore editing whilst writing?
    Your blog is awesome. Cheers! :)