Internet artists

net-artI believe that right now there are more artists on this Planet, more writers choosing to self-publish or just posting their stories on blogs, more painters selling prints and original artwork on deviantart, etsy, and the likes, more sculptors, more singers and aspiring movie makers trying to get more subscribers on YouTube than ever before.

And I believe this is a good thing. Modern day technology allows us to achieve our most secret of yearnings: to share our art with the world. Maybe you’re reading this post and you’re telling yourself that you don’t make art for that. You create art just for yourself. But for that to be true, you’d never want anyone to read your stories. You’d be the only one who knows you’re a writer or painter or singer.

But who can fight the urge? I know I can’t. When I write something I think it’s good, I want to share it with the world. I want to inspire in people what the words, as I wrote them, inspired in me. I want to show people a world that’s different, and yet so similar, to the one they live in.

This has nothing to do with others having to validate your art. Or having to like it. The matter of fact is that art doesn’t have to be pretty, doesn’t have to be understood by everyone. But if has to be shared, it has to be viewed, listened to, or read.

And that’s what makes the Internet such a great tool for artists. Social media allows us to reach out and find the ones who are truly interested in our art. We get to share ideas and we get to connect and interact with like-minded individuals.

We can do all this for free.

I can’t deny the fact that without an Internet connection, without being able to sell my books on Amazon, without this blog, I wouldn’t be the writer I am today. When you can’t find someone to read your stories… it doesn’t take long before you run out of confidence.

When you make your art… you’re all alone. And most people will never be able to understand you or your passion. You want for people to feel something about your art. That’s all you want. Even if they hate it, it’s still better than to be invisible.

I’m the product of the 21st century. Living so far away from the vast majority of you… and yet, I’m able to present my ideas and thoughts to you, I’m able to share my art with you… truth is, you can’t put a price tag on that. You can’t buy the feeling you get when someone e-mails you and tells you they’ve loved your story.

Your words.

Your vision.

Your passion.

Your hard-work.

Some people say that in this life we’re all alone, that we can’t count on anyone else for help. We need to be strong enough to survive on our own. Yes, this might be true, but we also need others. We’re social creatures. That’s what made us into the dominant species on this planet in the first place. We want for others to understand us, to feel the same way we feel, we want to know we’re not alone, that we’re just as crazy in love as someone living a thousand miles away.

***

If you enjoy this blog and would like to support this young Romanian writer, you can do so by buying an e-book bundle (containing lots and lots of his books) here. It’s only $4.99. Also, donations are most welcome… you can contribute any amount you like here. PayPal or Credit Card.

35 comments on “Internet artists

1. Khana says:

Great post Christian :)

2. Osharlequin says:

I couldn’t agree more with your thoughts here sir!

3. pauladkin says:

Nice post. I completely agree with you. If you’d like to see this from another angle, please take a look at my own post: http://pauladkin.wordpress.com/2012/07/14/freedom-as-visibility-the-greek-city-state-and-the-internet/

4. The Overlord Bear says:

Art always needs an audience. The Internet may have its annoyances, but there’s always a glimmer of light in a sea of darkness. And I prefer focusing on the light, so I look at the Internet as a great way to spread sunshine, rainbows, and good influence. The Internet is awesome, you know!

5. Steve Morris says:

It’s a wonderful thing and truly empowering. Barriers to human progress are falling more rapidly than ever before!

6. Ina says:

YES, agree with you

7. JB Vincent says:

Terrific blog post. Just what I needed to see this morning.

8. sfoxwriting says:

Brilliant post ! without vision we are all lost ! please check out http://sfoxwriting.com/2013/11/25/the-road-to-our-dreams/

9. So true. Thanks for articulating it so well. :)

10. brew1b says:

Great post. More and more people are starting to understand the value and power of the internet for their own personal gain, whether financial or not.

11. loubelcher says:

Yes, we’ll always need others abd the first thought after writing is to post to see what others think. Human nature.

12. Really great post dude :0)

13. Erin Granat says:

Absolutely, there’s been a better time to be an artist or entertainer! It’s all at our fingertips, and the audience gets to be choosier than ever. Amen to the magical power that is the web. I don’t really get how it works, but I love what it does for my work.

14. I could not agree more – art, in particularly your art (and here I mean everyone who does it) has to be shared with others to become alive, otherwise it will die in some dark corner never having had a chance to make us humans happy. I could not imagine if Goethe, Beethoven, Picasso or all the others artist would have kept their thoughts, ideas, art to themselves.
    thanks for your post Cristian!

15. I agree. and a lot of those who wish they were artists.

16. So glad you decided to allow us into your world…great post!!

17. sensoria300 says:

On point brother, you nailed it.

18. maggiebird says:

Good post. As artists, we need to always remember that our audience is just as important as we are, for who else would view/listen/read/feel/taste our work?

19. This comes at a price you know. It can be extremely disheartening to throw your stuff onto the web where it’s an absolute ocean of good art and writing. You see a concentrated filter of only the greatest work around the planet on a daily basis.

I actually find a little more solace in downsizing and trying to connect through art with those closest around me and in my community. Rather than being a screaming voice in the endless sea that is the internet.

• starplexus says:

I agree with your comment. I guess there are two sides to that. You might get lucky and the right people stumble over your creations, which might lead to you getting a lot of exposure. On the other hand, as you said, there are so many people doing things similar to you, so you might not get any recognition at all, which is very frustrating. I guess it’s great to give it a try, but not spend too much energy on being seen online.

Of course showing your stuff to people offline is much more intimate and you get so much better feedback. Doing both is the best thing you can do, in my opinion :)

20. Plinky says:

I love this post! The internet is indeed a great place for artists.

21. So beautifully written, i am of the belief any views, which i receive are priceless!

22. MojosWork says:

I hate the internet so much sometimes(especially Facebook), but I can’t detach myself from it, as its the reason I’ve sold 95% of all my paintings, designs, prints, etc. Like you said, its become a hell of a tool. The downside – other than being plugged in all the time – is that when EVERYONE is doing it, its sensory overload, and in a lot of ways, just as hard to get noticed. But then again, there is no potential to go viral in the physical world, so the internet’s been a boon, too. It’s a double-edged sword.

• starplexus says:

A catch 22, I agree! Social media is both a blessing and a curse.
      Sometimes I really dislike how the system works, people with very weak artwork (for example) might get a lot of likes/shares/exposure and the stuff that is really good does not get a second glance :(

In the end, it is better for me to use this service than turn my back on it.

• MojosWork says:

I agree that a lot of great things can, will and do go unnoticed, but I can’t begrudge someone else for their “weak” work getting noticed. If people are talking about it and getting engaged, the artist has succeeded at something, and in some ways, the most important thing when it comes to creating. And its all a matter of taste and preference anyway.

Completely unrelated, I dig your star and splattersquid.

23. an0nymuss says:

no one can deny this fact what you have mentioned in this post

24. starplexus says:

Awesome blog post! I agree totally.
    We all need an audience, that makes creating things so much more enjoyable than keeping it to ourselves.
    Constructive criticism we might get makes us grow as creators :)