Why do we fall?

falling“The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Four days ago, on Christmas Day, I turned 23. A fragile age indeed, and most of you know that I have yet to conquer all the good and the bad that life can throw at you. But I’ve seen things, I’ve done things. Scars have been inflicted upon my body and soul. I’ve kept secrets, I’ve nurtured bizarre dreams and fantasies until they became demons. I’ve lost more battles than I can count…

And I’ve fallen… time and time again, only to rise up again and again.

So, why do we fall?

We fall because we need to see how far we can go. Only by testing our limits do we reach beyond them, only by fighting a lot of impossible battles do we defeat insurmountable odds.

Experience is a long list of failures. One defeat at a time, we survive, we fight on, we become better, faster, and stronger. We evolve.

We fall and we pick ourselves up. We fall again, with more grace than we previously thought possible. We learn, yet we never become perfect. If you live your life just the way you want to, without taking silly precautions, you will fall. Again and again and again.

And never fall into the trap that you’ll reach a stage in your life when things will be different. If you take risks, if you push yourself, if you want more, you’ll fall.

Why?

Because venturing into the unknown is the riskiest business there is.

And never make the mistake of taking things for granted. Things change. People change. You change. Everything changes. So keep moving… never, ever stop. Don’t give up, don’t surrender when it hurts.

There is only one final defeat in life.

Don’t hold on to the past, don’t wallow yourself in a future filled with crazy promises. Live in the present, be aware of your surroundings and exploit them the best you can.

Maybe this is well worth remembering as we look forward to a new year, a year filled with dreams and expectations and lists and plans, all nicely wrapped up in the illusion that we have enough time to accomplish all of them and more.

32 comments on “Why do we fall?

1. clisawork says:

Sometimes when you do everything right, when you have the noblest intentions and purest heart and you make no mistakes you will still fail miserably. Why do we fall? Too complex a question for a whole library to answer. The answer isn’t always even to learn something – sometimes you won’t learn anything. Sometimes it won’t even make you a better person, or a worse person. Life is not that simple. Hope is bigger than responding to failure or believing that you won’t fail.

2. marvaseaton says:

In this journey of life often it is the obstacles we are able to overcome which makes us stronger!

3. day3of says:

The truth is, life is a struggle. I think you stated that truth in way that was gentle and inspirational. “Why do We Fall” gave me the most encouragement I’ve felt in a long time.

4. srwright607 says:

We fall because we need to see how far our limits can go? So– who is pushing us down, or is it a what?

5. A beautiful discourse. You words truly do come from your very core of being. An inspiration and pleasure to read.

6. applesauce80 says:

Although I won’t contribute to your blog fundraiser ( I just followed you a few days ago) I do wish you the best of luck.

7. glenn says:

I greatly appreciate your insight for the strength in humanity, to don with wax feathered wings, to fail forward. Thank you for sharing.

8. The falls color our present world with passion, good or bad.

9. This was timely. I needed the reminder

10. Wishing you the best for 2014!

11. bwdell says:

Is it really failure when we can’t do something we are learning? I don’t think so. Failure, to me, is knowing the right thing to do and not doing it. I just bought a Kindle edition of “Jazz” and look forward to reading it.

12. Sometimes the universe has other plans for you and failing is their gentle nudge! Great post. I knew you were a Capricorn!

13. “…exploit them as best you can.” Excellent plan.

14. Don’t be afraid for any failures. It will make you stronger than before.. Keep spirit….

15. Thank you for the inspiration. I am on the verge of giving up….or maybe not. Wish I could help you but trying to survive myself.

16. M T McGuire says:

Well, you know what they say, the only difference between genius and madness is failure. There’s another saying, that people who succeed only do it because they’ve failed a thousand times and got up.

Nice post.

Cheers

MTM

17. uniqusatya says:

Hey,what you have said is very much true in many of our cases.Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

18. Belated Happy Birthday, Cristian. I couldn’t contribute, but I sincerely wish you the best. Your words have substance. Have a Happy New Year :)

19. medasane says:

When and if, I should ever have a son, and he becomes as brilliant as you are, and falls, gets hurt, and loses, I shall tell him, don’t ever let life kill your dreams, because it will, every time it gets a chance. A smallville quote, by Johnathon, clark kent’s father, “Chores keep a man honest, clark. You have to work hard to protect the things you love.” I would also give him the poem, If, by Rudyard Kipling. then I would hug him and say, “Whether you fail or win, you are mine to love forever. You were a dream come true in impossible circumstances, yet here you are, My Son. It’s okay to give up, just make sure you stand up and start over again, to piss off all your enemies. :)

20. Interesting analogy. I think sometimes the more intriguing question is not why we fall but why we get back up. You are just 23 and likely faced some tough situations, but these events are preparing you for the life that is unfolding before you. You’ll always be given choices and various paths will open and close. Part of the wonderment of this life is learning to make decisions soundly. And no, the end result is not always what we anticipated, not even close. Sometimes what seemed a poor choice will lead to the most unexpected delights. Know that it is never about the destination…this will change constantly. If you can look back and know the journey was worth all the tears…then you have lived.

21. Living the present, that is indeed the most important thing. Happy new year’s fellow writer and best of luck to you on your endeavors this coming 2014.

22. Keep moving, huh…Thanks for the reminder, Mr. Mihai! Encountering failure is definitely something that must happen to us so that we can find success, too! Everything changes…and even if the heat of this imperfect world tries to burn us down, we can still find hope within that heat! Oh yeah, Happy New Year to you, too!

23. grammatteus says:

Very wise words from someone half my age. You’ve learnt a lot!

24. joongn says:

Not to mention, that once we’ve fallen, hit hard rock bottom, there’s only one way to go: back up. And like a trampoline, the further down we went, the higher we will go. But this time, withought the fear of going back down again and venturing the unknown: we’ve already been there!

25. You have a lot of wisdom for a small little 23 year old life. :D I wish the Like button would let us hit it more than once, say 20 times, for 20 votes. I would have hit it a bunch a times for this post.

26. scorptastic says:

I guess †ђξ challenges we face enable us become stronger and with or without our knowledge we long for something more. Thus we fall and rise again. Very lovely writeup

27. This is really well written. Kudos.