I am not alone

This might sound strange, coming from someone who spends a lot of time alone, writing, and maybe this is the inescapable truth about writers: we spend a lot of time alone, in quiet rooms, contemplating worlds that exist only in our heads, but I don’t feel lonely.

I am alone, but I don’t feel lonely anymore.

When I was younger I used to think that if someone would tell me that I could write a great novel, something people will still be reading a hundred years in the future, and all I had to do was live my life in obscurity, I’d accept. I thought great things require a sacrifice, and I wasn’t so sure what the most important thing about being a writer actually was.

It wasn’t until much, much later that I realized what writing was all about, and I’ve expressed this view many times here: we write because we want to reach out to others. We write with the hope that our words will mean something to someone else other than ourselves.

I am able to reach out to people, I am able to present the world my ideas and dreams and stories, and for that I am grateful. In doing this, I don’t feel alone anymore. If even a single one of my posts or stories or essays made you feel something, or made you realize something about the world we live in, then that makes me happy.

When I decided to self-publish my stories (and write this blog) I made myself a promise: that I wouldn’t give up, no matter what. I didn’t quit when I sold two short stories during the entire month of May 2012, earning a total of 70 cents, I didn’t quit when it seemed that no one was interested in reading my blog posts, I didn’t quit when I figured out that I couldn’t possibly afford to launch an online magazine.

But at some point, sooner or later, I would have if it weren’t for the tremendous support you folks have provided. It’s you folks who kept the flame alive, who kept me fighting even when I felt like giving up. Because, believe me, we all have our moments, when we feel that the entire world is fighting back.

I’m not going to lie. Sales have been below average these past months, so I had to rely on contributions from those of you who believe in my dream.

That’s why I want to thank Val and all the others for contributing to my campaign, for taking me closer to reaching my goal, and along with it, my dream of becoming a professional writer.

If you’d like to help me out, you can do so here.

Once again, thank you for your support,

Cristian Mihai

42 comments on “I am not alone

1. PorterGirl says:

It is, indeed, all about the dream! And I salute you for following yours. I, too, am following mine and reading posts such as this reminds me to never give up. So thank you :)

2. davecenker says:

Although we do spend so much time alone to compose our thoughts, our observations, and our experiences into semi-coherent ramblings for others to consume, we are certainly not alone. In some respects, writing allows us a passage from the world of introverts to the realm of extroverts. Using the spoken voice is a way for some to connect with people. For others, the power of the written word creates a fire inside that will never be extinguished. Beautiful message filled with inspiration, thank you!

3. This blog really touched me! As a new blogger and feeling absolutely alone, it is great to read this and realize that I am not alone. :-) In starting my blog, I am hoping to be able to touch someone with my passion, even if it ends up being just one person. Thank you for this post and helping boost my confidence in this new adventure I am taking. I look forward to more posts from you and cheers to you for pursuing and not giving up on your dream!! :-)

4. I love my time alone writing. It is when I am around people that I feel much more lonely…and frustrated.

5. Lynne Drake says:

Thanks Cristian. As a ‘newby’ myself, it is exciting to know that even one person read my blog! My main reason to enter this arena is in a hope to encourage others; those that hurt, feel neglected, alone, or are living in a state of neglect, or circumstances beyond their understanding as in that of refugees. I have walked the streets of shanty towns and devastated countries…I want to help, make a difference. That is me.

6. kavishasaga says:

Cristian, this was beautiful. Your words really resonated with me. It’s exactly how I feel about writing. All my life the only thing I’ve wanted to do is write. I want to share my words with the world and hopefully, make a difference in someone’s life with them. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to pursue my dream. I’m in Public Accounting instead after giving into familial pressures. As time went by, the feeling of frustration and bitterness just grew more and more. I’m in a profession that I know is completely wrong for me. However, last week I finally took a small step towards my dream last week when I started my blog. After my first initial burst of excitement, my feelings died down as I became disappointed for it not making much impact. I feel braver after reading your words and hope to continue moving forward. You are a great inspiration for staying with your dream. Keep fighting!

7. Love this blog post. I, too, always love it whenever people tell me that they enjoy my stories (even if they couple it with criticism sometimes :P ).

-Tim

8. steveny2j says:

I’ve just made landfall here on this blogs’ platform. I’m an Italian guy who loves to write too, though I’m not a professional writer. So, I’ll enjoy so much exploring some other non-professional writers’ blogs and, Christian, I have to say your blog is wonderful. You’ve got a lot of potential. Keep goin’ on with your beautiful dreams and stories. Cheers

9. Donna Cordova says:

Thanks for this very inspiring post Christian. Keep it up!

10. gll+ says:

I definitely can relate. I feel like I’m there sometimes (as far as giving up), but I won’t. It’s blogs like these that give me the strength to keep on writing. Peace to you, Cristian.

11. I was thinking about this just today while I was getting ready for work, and then…I went to work and forgot about it. Luckily, I read your post, and you reminded me of this great truth , so thank you for that :) Keep that fire burning!!

12. I am never alone when I write. In fact, it’s often times far too crowded (and noisy) in my head with all the character voices sparring. I think a lot of people choose writing because they so value their solitude. That’s why it’s so ironic that once you have written something and it goes “out there” – - it’s time for all the promotional stuff to begin and that often shy, introverted author MUST now become a PR person, campaign manager, salesman, a guest speaker (at readings and book clubs) and a pimp. Hmmmmm, hope you all understood that last one! ;-) Many, many hats…..and very few of them as fulfilling as that original “solo vocation.

13. Very thoughtful. And thought provoking.

14. Libby Kurz says:

Hi Cristian–
    I’m very happy to have found your blog. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the world and for being such an encouragement to other writers and artists! I look forward to your posts. Blessings, Libby.

15. Cinnamon B says:

This is a wonderful and insightful post. I too agree with you, being alone and not lonely. It isn’t an easy job being a writer, coming from a writer’s perspective as well. I know what it is like, and I applaud you from not getting discouraged. Everyone will go through this journey alone, finding their way, and experience some bumps in the road. You have managed to continue going, and things have shown that they can and will get better, through constantly working hard. Not letting a day go by without writing may seem like a lot to many, but I truly understand where you’re coming from. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you.

- Cinn B

16. BiblioJesso says:

“There are a couple of simple rules when it comes to writing: never stop writing, and never be afraid to share your writing with the world. It doesn’t matter how, just do it. And out of all the billion people in the world, if just one loves your writing, that’s more than enough, more than you could ever ask for.”

That just made my day, thanks for that.

17. This was very inspiring. A lot of people (including myself) could definitely relate. Thanks

18. Yes, the passion of writing is strong. And it IS about making connections. For me, I find that if I touch my own heart first with my writing, I am sure to touch greater humanity (whether it shows on my blog tally of Followers or not). Good thoughts transcend blog space and enter the universe!

19. The elevated feeling I get when I write, is a bit like being alone, but being totally connected at the same time. its very spiritual. very zen.

20. Lovely post. I often have inhibitions about sharing my writing. It is sometimes the most fulfilling thing in the world, when it works out. When it doesn’t though, it can be a dark place. And I think being a writer is all about finding the equilibrium between these two places. That’s what we’re all trying to do. Keep Writing, I enjoy it.

21. Darcy French says:

Thank you for this! This post is insightful, relatable, and well written. It connected with me as another aspiring writer. At only 16 I still have many writing years ahead of me. While I do sometimes feel like my writing is meaningless and that no one is interested, posts like this remind me why I love writing and why I want to do it throughout my life.

22. boredomisBS says:

Thank you for this great and uplifting post ! Good Luck !

23. Making art in general – writing, singing, dancing – can be very lonely. I feel very much the same way you do – if even one person is touched by what we do, it’s worth it. Don’t give up. You are a gifted writer, and you are not alone.

24. Blessings & direction on your continued efforts…your work is more than good!! Looking forward to future posts…

25. leonsanity says:

I wish i could sell 1 sentence of what I wrote, it’s great yo know there are at least some one out there in this relentless world enjoy what you created.

26. As a new blogger, I appreciate seeing this. I’ve been asked by many friends to write a book, and I thought blogging would be a better place to start. I appreciate reading about the struggles of it all. Good luck to you!

27. I agree, and especially like the simplicity of the two simple rules. I’ve been working to focus similarly on consistency and bravery. These are the only ways to get better, and if and when we accept this improvement does in fact results — sometimes quickly. Continued good luck to you.

28. anumie says:

Oh geez, I absolutely love this. I feel like you’re taking the words right out of my heart (that’s where I keep my words :-)). This lesson is something that I hope every writer learns in their life. As a newbie to this all, I find your perserverance and passion refreshing. Thank you for sharing and continuing to share your joy of writing!

29. the_bupkis says:

you really described the true and most honest purpose of writing…

30. aursel says:

You might really like the book ‘Wild’ by Cheryl Strayed. She is a phenomenal writer and chronicled her trek across the PCT alone in this book.

31. Leroy says:

My thoughts exactly! Thanks!

32. evozeta says:

Very inspiring – I happily cheer you on!!

33. Anne says:

This is just so true.

34. Right, time to face forward, then, even in the unbearable heat! Let’s do our best and have fun!

35. bkant7 says:

Powerful & deep. Good stuff 👏👍

36. Hari says:

Great to read. I find the voices in my head keep me company. xx

37. Inspirational, encouraging and a much needed timely reminder that we (writers) are not alone, despite how we feel. Thank you.

38. Lele Riggins says:

you are amazingly inspirational! THANK YOU DEARLY

39. Krishna Dev says:

Hari Om, Christian,

As a writer you fall in love with the world of your thoughts and imagination, whereas most people are frightened to face their honest thoughts. We all try to avoid facing our inner flaws to rectify them, instead we live in an illusion created by our ego; which creates a grandeur image of the self.
    A really honest post, it was great read.

Regards,