More than a dream

I often say that people should set short time achievable goals and crazy long term dreams. The thing is, we live in a world of small steps. Even though we don’t like to admit it, even though we often choose to search for a shortcut, progress is an extremely slow process. Excruciatingly so at times.

So it’s understandable that this year I set out to write. That’s the most important thing a writer can do. Then, I wanted to sell a few books. Not a precise number… I just wanted to sell a few books. Self-publishers know how difficult it is to sell just one copy of your book. Not ten, not a thousand, just one.

This year, just like last year, the goal was simple: don’t give up. No matter what, don’t give up. Not with my writing, not with this blog.

And that’s another important rule of being… anything, actually. You have to finish stuff. You have to keep going, even when you feel like standing still. Because no one else is willing to do the work for you.

Write, don’t give up, have fun, be patient. No matter what.

Because even if you set yourself certain milestones, even if you have destination in mind, you can only reach it by going on step at a time. There’s no other way.

If you a dream, fight for it, because no one else is willing to do that for you.

Believe me when I say that I want for my writing to mean something to folks. I want to make readers cry, laugh, fall in and out of love with my characters. I want for my words to change the world someday. That’s the ideal, the crazy dream, that thing no one can grant you; something you can’t buy.

I first started writing ten years ago, without really knowing what I was getting myself into. I knew that I needed to acquire the right tools.

It took a long, long time to do that.

A lot of time.

And, yes, at times I’ve lost faith, I’ve lost confidence. It happens. Knowing what you want to do, who you want to become, does not save you from fear. Because at times you’ll be terrified at the prospect of never becoming the person you set out to become.

There are few things more painful than the agony of self-doubt.

But, in a way, I’ve always known that everything is going to be okay, because a lot of people believe in me. Their confidence gives me strength, their trust gives me courage. Yeah, I know, it’s a cheesy thing to say. But it’s true. The idea that you can spend all your life trusting and relying on no one but yourself is a lie. We’re social beings. We need others. We can’t spend all our lives fighting a war with everyone else.

35 comments on “More than a dream

1. judithcmoore says:

This is very motivating! Thank you. I’m having so much trouble with just finishing things at the moment. I’ve had half a novel sat above my desk in old notebooks all term but it’s really hard to prioritize! Maybe this year it will be finished…?

2. This was beautiful! Very inspiring. :) Keep writing.

3. Ross W says:

very well written, just what I needed today. Thanks.

4. driftwood3 says:

The thing is, I want to do everything! I seem to pick up new things before finishing the old ones. “Nothing to it but to do it”

5. adamintheeve says:

Good for you, indeed, for pursuing your dreams, albeit the slow progression. People can definitely learn from your perseverance and irrefutable will!

Keep it up and keep the faith! =)

6. Allison says:

I read this as I set to edit a piece for a creative writing contest at my school and I found encouragement! Thank you… keep on keeping on!

7. just4why says:

I have felt the same when I first started writing. I thought about getting down this writing adventure. I do like to write. I’m not that great at structure but a few people told me to keep writing if that is what you enjoy. Some people like car, others snowmobiles, or horses. What ever your hobby is do not care about what other people think. Your story was very inspiring. Thanks

8. MeAndDating says:

“A winner never quits and a quitter never wins.” It’s true. Look at all so-called “overnight successes” – they kept going when almost everyone else would have given up.

9. MayZ says:

Don’t give up!! I understand how you feel because I have started many blogs but lost motivation to keep writing.

10. Very nice. I like the fact that your believe in taking small steps but projecting big goals. I think I do that too, Just never put it into words. Thanks for the post!

11. igarnett says:

The fear of not becoming who I want to become is gripping. But your right we gotta keep pushing no matter what. Thanks for the encouragement.

12. colin says:

I forget sometimes that it’s the progress that’s important towards the end game.

13. Very True. Do you alway set out to be so inspiring, or does that just come as part of who you are?

14. tisfortea says:

Great advice – very motivational!

15. nerdycanuck says:

Keep going! Well Written and always persevere.

16. poeticfury77 says:

Definitely motivated by these words. I’m glad I took a moment to read this blog, it made me feel like as long as I don’t give up I haven’t failed.

17. zachary says:

Go! Go! Go!! I’m doing fine writing my 3 posts per week, but now I need to do more work promoting my blog and trying to find new readers. Bleh. I prefer the writing! Keep going!!

18. Sum says:

Your blog has changed my life. Thank you for the reminder that dreams are worth chasing after.

19. hodagibreel says:

Christian becomes an inspiration to many plus me, and so encouraging, and patient in what he is doing.
    That alone will make the readers follow what will be his next post, and eager to read what is in his mind ..put into words…as herein. Your aspirations will lead you a great success, keep on.

20. Hi Cristian,
    thank you for your inspirational words!
    Do not give up on your dreams. Just have faith and go forward without hesitating.
    I also want to thank you for mentioning me, although it was just a small contribution. But this shows us that no matter how small our own contribution might seem, if many small contributions come together they can change the world.

21. Jen says:

Congratulations!!!

22. trucross says:

Thanks for your post Cristian! The temptation to give up, especially when no one sees your work, can seem overpowering. It’s difficult, but perseverance, I realised, is a choice.

23. Andy says:

I just got started on a project that I haven’t touched in over a year, and this was great to come across. Best of luck to you, and I hope you keep writing!

24. Aluinn says:

Hey, this is great! Just the kind of inspiration I needed.

25. pastedreams says:

This inspires me, especially since I just started a blog. It’s especially true that you have to fight for your dream, “because no one else is willing to do that for you.” Our confidence has to be internal, while our work is external. Thank you!

26. Lynn Bridge says:

Thanks for the reminder. I am working on several mosaics at once, two of them large projects. It seems overwhelming, but I see other people doing it, so it must be possible.

27. How very true and so beautifully put.

28. You know how one little, tiny drop of dish-washing liquid can instantly clear a pan full of greasy, cloudy water? That’s what this blog post just did for me – it was a drop of clarity in my greasy, cloudy pool of self-doubt. Thank you for thinking it, writing it and sharing it.

29. pietercbrits says:

Very inspiring – thank you for sharing your wisdom!

30. Balder92490 says:

A powerful post. Thanks man! You are really talented!

31. Brilliant, Cristian. Being the person you want to be is a huge ambition and I suspect most people give up on it quite early. It takes a special crazy tenacity to hold on to that dream so keep going and good luck!

32. I’m glad you set that goal to write and I hope you keep up the determination. You’ve made my day just reading this post!

33. alh387 says:

Well said. Don’t give up, maybe the most important and at times challenging goal of them all – and the most worth while. Keep writing, people are reading and being inspired :)

34. Hmmmm………we need people to encourage us ….people who can push us forward when we feel down…