How far would you go?

how_farMy philosophy is pretty simple: find something you want and do your best to get it. Find something you’re passionate about, and do it over and over again until you die. Selfish? Maybe.

But let me ask you a question: how far would you go in order to make your dreams come true? When would you stop?

You want what you want and you have to do your best to get it.

Of course, I’m certain that most of you don’t think like that. And the funny thing is that I’m not sure if there’s a good way or bad way.

All I know is that there comes a time when you just want to fight. You know, like really, really fight. Against a million people if you have to, but you just want to live the life you think you deserve. Because that’s one universal truth: the world is about you. You’re the most important being in existence, the center of the universe. Of course, now that you’re reading this, you feel like denying it.

Your dreams matter to you. Your tragedies are your own. Your struggle. Your pain. Your regrets. Your suffering.

So ask yourself: how far would you go?

***

With 20 hours left, we’re just $50 away from reaching the goal. Maybe it doesn’t seem like much, but it does make a big difference for me, when every dollar counts.

I’d like to thank Larrain, David, Jessica, and all the others for their donations, and for taking me to a bit closer to reaching the goal.

I want to be healthy enough to write when I want, how I want. I want to keep blogging. I want to be able to sleep at night. I don’t want to live in pain and fear, I don’t want this fate, so if you wish to help me out with my medical problems, you can donate any amount you see fit here.

32 comments on “How far would you go?

1. nerdycanuck says:

My philosophy is work hard and if you don’t get it..work even harder till you do. Failing will tell you what not to do it doesn’t mean stop doing what you enjoy doing. Great post.

2. Too many people like to stand close to the heat (gossip, drama, ie) and then wonder why it gets hotter. So yes, by all means, live for the moment because it soon will pass.

3. Catalin says:

My philosophy? Fake it till you make it!

4. vanyieck says:

Perhaps I’m not smart enough to know when to quit.

5. Love & Peace says:

Life is not a competition. well, maybe it is, but then it’s a competition only with yourself. What if your dreams just aren’t that big? What if your dreams are to be with the ones you love the most and to enjoy the simple things in life, like the sun on your skin or listening to great music? Your dreams are your dreams because they’re supposed to make you happy once you pursue them. So I think you should give anything to make your dreams come true. But before that, think about what truly makes you happy, and that maybe, a lot of your dreams have already come true, maybe more than you thought. Just my philosophy :)

• I think that most people just want to be happy without really knowing what happy means. They want enough… and they define “enough” as having everything they want. There’s a big difference between what you want and what you need. Also, there’s a big difference between what you want and what you can have.

It’s not only about the pursuit, it’s about purpose, about finding a reason for why you are here.

6. pulpfictionme says:

Great article! I don’t know if my soul contains any definite goals I wish to achieve. Most of how I gauge my success is through the craft of writing, and various volunteer activities. I always say yes, unless it infringes on my emotional health. The maxim I live by is you never know till you try. The greatest tragedy in life, is to get to the end, and realized you never lived at all.

• I agree. Ultimately, we all die, and there’s nothing tragic about that. It’s something that’s going to happen. But you shouldn’t let fear paralyze you.

It’s extremely important to live. To do the things you want to do and to do them as soon as possible. And never take things or people for granted. Nothing lasts forever.

7. My philosophy I guess is that you have to question if success is worth fighting a million and hurting a few thousand along the way. If it is then you have to accept that you may become one of the maimed in someone’s else’s red hot pursuit of their own personal passion. As you grow and develop as a person your definition of success changes. What appeared to be the pinnacle of achievement when you’re young may well seem transitory and rather tawdry when you’re older, when you have people who depend on you and who you love more than your own life. When you discover that real success doesn’t come with a bank statement attached.

• There’s always a price one has to pay in order to make his dream come true. There are always risks, and there’s always a chance to become the bad guy.

My family criticized me for wanting to become a writer. They didn’t see how I’d make a living. I was willing to pay the price. And I did pay. I struggled, and I still do. But I know that there’s nothing in this world that makes me happier than writing. How do I know that? Because writing gives me purpose, direction, and discipline.

8. Sorry i cannot help you with the medical bill…but yes…am doing this…..everything I can to live the dream and follow my heart…passion to the day I die…no going back!!!!!!!!!!! Best of luck for your journey too!

9. Good questions, provoking thoughts, eloquently written…this is why I love your posts!

10. janetmickley says:

Personally I have always been a true believer of you have to work hard to earn the things you want in life. Right now I am a full time student living on a super tight budget. I suffer from anxiety disorder and was recently raped, but by blogging and volunteering I have come way farther in life than I have ever dreamed of. I actually received a scholarship because of the strength that I show in my blog and in life, and It has really changed who I am as a person. If you would have asked me ten years ago where I would be today, I honestly wouldn’t have had an answer, I was still going through the rebellious, do as little as possible phase, which of course got me nowhere fast. So now I study nonstop and volunteer as much as possible, because I have to make my life better on my own, no one is going to do that for me.

• That’s something few people realize: you have to make your dreams come true. Everyone else is busy trying to make theirs come true.

So, yes, you have to fight, you have to work hard. There’s no other way, and if it does happen, then you won’t appreciate it. As they say, easy come, easy go.

11. Kajahie says:

Thank you for the uplifting words.

12. Bumba says:

Wishing you good health. Wanting things and wanting to succeed is good. Most all people dream and want things, and work hard for those things. Good luck in your struggle to write and again the best of health.

13. I’d go until I make my dreams turn into reality. Until I live that dream :)

14. For my dream, I remained steady on my course through struggles and life events and kept true to myself and my life journey – this is what I wrote about in my book, Solitary Desire. Wishing you all the best!

15. cari365 says:

Until my last breath, if I didn’t follow my dream, it would be like never really living. Thank You for yet another perfect post. Also, thank you for reblogging Bang! it was great synchronicity with my latest painting :)

16. I gave up a very healthy income and business of 30 years to pursue singing again. Considering that historically, the greatest victories in battle have been won leaving behind a scorched earth, I chose to close my business and sell everything. That was 2 years ago. I’m starting to get work, but have a long way to go to achieve the level of success I want. It’s not about notaroety for me. It’s about having an impact in some small way. I’d like to be in a position to help others, (sorry if that sounds lame.) Whether it’s philanthropicly or emotionally through my music. I’ve already hocked all my jewelry. I believe very deeply that this is what i was meant to do and that EVERYTHING happens for a very good reason. I know I will get there. Life can turn on a dime.

17. sweetyshinde says:

That’s the spirit! Keep it up.

18. Great Post. Keep doing what you enjoy doing. Some days when I see how diligent you are about writing, it motivates me to write a post or two. Hope you feel better soon. :)

• Maybe it’s ironic or don’t know… but when people tell me that I inspire them or motivate them or whatever, that’s what keeps me going as well. To know that my words mean something, that I have an impact on someone… it does make it easier.

19. Russel DDK says:

Short, sweet, and true. A truly motivational post!

20. emilyahlbum says:

I go until I am pushed to my limit – and then I go a little bit further :)

21. jhonnyceu14 says:

It´s really true what you say. Nothing is easy at first sight, but if you keep into that time after time, you soon find the ways to get it by connecting step behind step. It´s magic. We must go on.

22. Zexy says:

Set a goal that you want to reach. Give it your all. When you decide giving it your all isn’t worth it anymore, move on and pocket the life experience that was the real prize of all the work you put in anyway. Endings usually just ruin stories anyway.