Twenty-something

twentyI’m twenty three years old. And I write. What’s funny is that I’m not a patient man. Patience is one of those things you acquire in time. I want to write great things and I want to write them now.

For a young, inexperienced writer like myself the world seems to spin twice as fast. I don’t have time to stop, to ponder, to throw away pages of literature. I want to inspire in people what my favorite stories inspired in me.

I write as if tomorrow will never come. I write as if today is the last day of my life.

Funny, isn’t it?

But it’s true.

I believe that young, inexperienced writers set out to write the words they think the world desires to read. The words the world needs. When they gain a bit of experience, they set out to write the words they desire to read. And that’s a pretty big difference.

I’m not sure this applies to me now, but when I was younger, I wanted to use all my ideas and characters and put them into a single story. I thought that’s how masterpieces are made.

With experience you realize how precious ideas are. You store them. You also realize that in order to write a story you need just one idea.

42 comments on “Twenty-something

1. What I admire about you, Christian, is your persistence and diligence.

2. seaangel4444 says:

As always, wonderful words, Cristian. Thank you for sharing with us! Hugs, Cher xo

3. halwanis says:

This really got me thinking, great post. I just started a blog and while I do not particularly consider myself a writer, some days I wakeup with ideas bursting from wall to wall and feel a sense of urgency to share them on my blog immediately. Other times I get an inspiration and keep it, “store it” and refine it. the latter has been happening more often and I believe this comes with more exposure and experience.

• namenews says:

Wall to wall ideas, huh? So you could build a house and store these thoughts, ideas, and inspirations. May I visit?

(lots of laughs, thanks for sharing your thought)

• It depends on the idea, I guess. Sometimes I get ideas and I feel the urge to wait… maybe because I don’t feel I’m good enough to translate them into words, or maybe I’m not ready yet. It depends.

4. clisawork says:

I think that one thing your missing is how are you going to put these on ideas on paper – even really good authors think about the mechanics of writing – what is the best way to get these ideas across? So you have a good idea – great! How are you going to put it on paper so that anybody will be able to understand it, be inspired by it like you were? The form is as important the idea, because if you can’t get your idea across then what’s the use of having a great idea in the first place? Dig deep into how, and the ideas will flow to fit the form. Structure isn’t a bad thing – play with it like a child on monkey bars. Save worrying about how the world will end until you are watching a Simon Pegg movie.

5. Leroy says:

Well put! I’m learning that same lesson

6. socialbridge says:

I find it so hard to believe you are only 23 as you always come across as being very mature and ‘grown-up.’ I hope you have years and years ahead in which to develop your writing and that fulfil your very obvious potential. All best wishes from Ireland, jx

• It’s funny because my age never really mattered. Even when I was a lot younger I could discuss with people twice my age. Maybe I’m mature, maybe I’ve read a lot, I don’t know. I just write down what I feel, and I don’t make a big fuss about it.

Someone once told me that age doesn’t really mean anything. It’s no excuse if you’re bad, and it’s not a bonus if you’re good. I was fourteen at the time, and everything I did ever since has been with that statement in mind.

7. tabby64 says:

This is awesome! I am also a writer and have been since I was very young. I just recently decided to try and start making this a career, and I also want to write great things now! Patience is hard and something I am just figuring out.. It may take awhile to get off of the ground but the support and talent is there. You can do it! Good luck and thank you for the wonderful post.

8. Mark Aldrich says:

Wise words. Continue writing as if tomorrow will never come and as if tonight is it. You’ll experience more. I’m still learning this lesson and I’m 45.

9. Bri Lee says:

As a young writer I recognise this impatience – the way it charges up your motivation and yet sometimes leaves you panicked. Thanks for sharing :)

10. Heartafire says:

beautiful artwork!

11. barn7777 says:

I like what you said, especially the last sentence–it is worth quoting.

12. JudgeRoy says:

“I believe that young, inexperienced writers set out to write the words they think the world desires to read.The words the world needs.” You really summed it up for me here. I remember when I started writing I had a plot with about 27 sub-plots or themes. I managed to cut a whole of that out not that I’m older and wiser and want to confuse people less.

13. Words of wisdom! Thanks for sharing.

14. Cheryl says:

But the writers who create art write the words they need to write and tell the stories they are given.

15. Pat says:

Oh, Cristian, you give me hope. I am 70 this year and patience is probably the personality trait I have the least of. Now I have hope that I will gain it with age and experience – when I become mature. Whoopee – I didn’t think it would ever come. But I hope I don’t have to sacrifice immaturity to become patient. :D I think you are telling me that I will become patient when I grow up.

16. Wait until your my age. Time seems to speed up. The years pass in the blink of an eye and the moments and the connections can be missed if you do not make the choice to stop and slow down see them. Begin slowing down now. Notice everything and write it all down.

17. uneakharsh says:

you inspired me with that line .. “Some write as if the world is going to end tomorrow, and some as if the world is never going to end.” I for one definitely write thinking world is never going to end. “You also realize that in order to write a story you need just one idea.”, i can’t agree with that. No good story can be written be with one single idea, you can write a scene, but for a complete story you need more than one idea.

18. iamkellyann says:

So good.

19. mikehaley3 says:

Your world, my world, is this very second. It’s the moment you read this.

20. Why is it funny that you’re not a patient man? I think the challenge for writers, is to persevere when there are few returns; no deal, no readership, no attention. People write to be read, yet the challenge is to write for the love of the process of writing, not just the end result. I admire your passion and your openness to reflect though!

21. sarahlearichards says:

Patience is also one of those things you either have, or you have to find when you have a child. :) You sound much more mature than most twenty-three year olds I know. Good post. Main thing is, find your own voice–don’t be “the next Nicholas Sparks” or “the next Tom Clancy”. As Stephen King says, “Write for yourself first.”

22. I really related to the false notion that more is somehow better. I also used to try to stuff all my “things” into one story as well. So much better to pare down and simplify.

23. some dance to remember,
    some dance to forget.

24. I can 100% relate to this, I want to make theatre that awe inspires with beautifully choreographed movement and clever lighting, with a beautiful set and evn more beautiful words. I want to be making theatre like that NOW but I am still learning the skills I would need, working my way through funding and building up a reputation. It can be so frustrating when you have such ideas of grandeur and no way of making them come to fruition. But then part of me hopes that in years to come when I am where I want to be I will miss the days when writing and theatre was so simply done, just me a notebook and a bunch of props bought from a charity shop! I guess as long as you are on the mountain the hardest climb has already bin done! Xx

25. I dunno, I’m almost 20 but I don’t write to try to get the word out or anything. I understand having lots of ideas and feeling like I need to write 13 novels all at once, but I’m writing mostly for myself. I just write things I enjoy writing and would enjoy reading.

26. Metallick3r says:

I’m sixteen, and I can’t bare releasing a piece of fiction unless I believe it to be beautiful – or incredibly ugly – in its nature. I want it to be a vibrant piece that will make people stare at the screen until their retinas burn out (in a good way).

I’m seldom proud of my fiction works at this point in time, but I have many years to improve upon this, so I won’t start worrying just yet.

27. “Dream as if you’ll live forever live as if you’ll die today” very James Dean.

28. Omg I loved your ending line, “Some write as if the world is going to end tomorrow, and some as if the world is never going to end.” It’s so true!

29. bikerbernie says:

Christian, I wish you all the best. Ah, to be young and idealistic again, to have had the desire to have written then. It would have been nice to have had the internet and computers to make it easier. Making a mistake or having to rearrange paragraphs on a typewriter was…discouraging at best.

Allow an older male a little latitude to poke some fun at your expense. “Patience is one of those things you acquire in time.” or NOT. Christian, do not count on it. I Blog “write” now because I have become increasingly intolerant of people’s ignorance. It helps me vent. Some of my musings are facetious or intentionally take a side that I do not believe in just to “stir the pot” so that a dialogue will be started. After all this is the only way that we truly can learn anything about each other. Have fun and do not writers block annoy you too much, it happens to the best and worst of we “writers.”

bb

30. Age, time and experience certainly change our perspective. Although, at my more advanced age, I find the world spins faster than my eyes blink. I have a son your age and the majority of my students are in your generation. They often lament to me that their world is getting overwhelming. It is for sure. This has more to do with their constant acquisition of new tools and skills to take on more and more of what the world throws at them. As we get older the world continues to demand much, but we refuse to get lost in the shuffle. We feel our clock ticking and demand to savor the moment. This is why I write. To get all the fantasies, demons, curiosities and ideas that haunt out of my brain. The spoken word blows away as fast as it is uttered, the written word is forever there. The ability to visit the written word as often as you wish seems to slow the madness a tad.

31. This is such an insightful post and you’ve shed light on some of the crucial follies inexperienced writers make. (I realize this because I, myself, am I) I’m going to ponder over this article again and let the message seep in. Hopefully, it will help me out the next time I take to pen and paper, or my keyboard.

P.S. I think you’re already a fab writer!

32. massie says:

Great post. Am a new blogger myself and sometimes it ain’t easy but my determination&passion for writing keeps me going. :)

33. triciatallen says:

This is a great post. I’m inspired already and it’s the first post I’ve read on your blog thus far. Keep up the good work :-)

34. You’re an awesome writer and an inspiring one. I used to write a lot but stopped when I reached my twenties. I’m just on my way to get back to writing and looks like I found one of my favourite blog to visit.

35. jgroeber says:

I wasn’t expecting to find this, such brash poetry. You’ve left me at a loss for words, which is perhaps a good thing, because when those words come back they might just be rattled into something wholly new. We all need that sometimes, a little rattling, so thank you for that.

36. SimplyShal says:

I like the distinction between wanting to write what the world wants to read versus writing what the writer wants to read…very interesting thought!