The Blank Page

blankYou know what’s the one thing I find to be fascinating and terrifying at the same time?

A blank page. Just empty. No words, nothing.

It’s the scariest thing… because that page doesn’t care who you are or what you wrote, doesn’t care how many people are waiting to read your words… it just stays empty until you write something.

It’s also a reminder that there’s always room for a fresh start. You can create and invent. You’re free. Maybe sometimes I see poetry when there’s nothing there, but to me a blank page always means that I get to try to achieve more. I can try to be better, and I can simply forget everything I wrote before. Because it doesn’t matter.

Funny thing that you’re the only one who can fill a blank page with the words you want. Arrange them how you want or feel. It’s your blank page, your canvas, your world. And it’s never going to write itself.

You’re the only one who can write your stories into existence, and, God, how great it feels to know that.

45 comments on “The Blank Page

1. mk says:

You fill your blank page with nice and inspiring words .

2. irenelsirene says:

Thank you for the ‘Blank Page’ Christian.
    For me personally, it’s inspirational. It changes my perspective on something that I hate the most. I hate changes.
    When I read this, I realised something. It is terrifying when changes happen. I always afraid of it. But through your writing, I realised that changes will provide me with blank pages. I’m free to write anything on my own. I can decide what I want to write on my blank pages.
    I don’t say that changes won’t be terrifying anymore. But at least, I know how to face it.

3. Mollie says:

I was just thinking about this – I have to produce a chapter draft in two weeks for my supervisor and I’m not sure where to start, having been on involuntary hiatus whilst moving. It’s both exhilarating and nerve-wracking. It ain’t gonna write itself. And, academic writing feels different from novel writing. I’ve written three chapters for a new novel, sans problem, but I can’t really give those to him. ;)

4. Another fantastic post.

5. socialbridge says:

Great attitude. Have a productive day!

6. Cool write up…encouraging words too. Thanks.

7. The more brilliant I think my story idea is, the more terrifying that blank page becomes! It’s so difficult to translate things from my brain onto the page without losing any of the magic!

8. Maggie Pill says:

Great post! It’s interesting how with publication, that blank page becomes more of a challenge. Will your next offering be as good as the one everyone says is so good? It’s pretty scary stuff!

9. Kari says:

Great analogy Cristian . Thank you

10. JDJPlocher says:

I posted some similar thoughts last month: The Blank Page It’s an exciting thing, but like most exciting things, there’s an element of fear in it.

11. bobgeor says:

Thanks for this!

12. Loved this post. Awesome way to express this philosophy. You opened my mind wide with this post today.
    Thank you!

13. sweetyshinde says:

I call it transfer of energy from self to paper (or screen) . and from paper(or screen) to readers.

14. Tammy in PDX says:

Great post….and I applaud your positive outlook. I need to try that sometime…LOL.

15. I love how you talk about how the page doesnt care who you are or what you’ve written. And it’s so true, every time you write something new your past writing is irrelevant. All that matters is the heart and soul you put into this specific piece here and now. Great stuff!

16. kat3kets1gog says:

It isn’t the blank page that scares me, since I never sit down to begin anything new if the words aren’t bursting out already. It’s the word jungle that gets me down (http://thewritersits.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/wandering-in-the-woods), when I know the sense of what I need to say but can’t find the words to do it.

17. bobmcgough says:

It doesn’t scare me, but I do tend to view a blank page with a sense of revulsion almost. The point of a page is to be filled, the point of an author is to fill it. To do otherwise seems unnatural.

18. KasharaBlue says:

E intotdeauna bine sa ai o foaie alba de rezerva… :) Don’t be afraid. Just create.
    Frumos scris. O zi frumoasa!

19. Mycupcakeandchampagnelife says:

I love this post. I’m just starting my blog and there’s so much I want to say and sometimes fear of the blank page takes over …. Thanks for the inspiring words.

20. lefraise2002 says:

This is so true! The blank page has been my friend and my enemy on several occasions.

21. barn7777 says:

Great post and so true. To me a blank page is a mystery–you never know what you will get or create from it, and whatever it may be, it can’t be that bad :)

22. thickbrowboy says:

very inspirational :)

23. architj23 says:

Brilliantly written!! amazing theme and inspiring words, You sir just made my day. Hats off

24. Enjoyed this post! Even if sometimes I am afraid of blank pages, I find them great because I can write so many different ideas and create a new world with so many possibilities.

25. Kophia says:

As an artist, I feel exactly the same when I look at my blank paper. When I am having a bad day, it terrifies me more than it excites me. Thank you for this motivational post.

26. Sue C. says:

The blank pages I face I see as a challenge. “Okay page, you won’t be blank for long!” You’ve given a great perspective on writing.

27. Short and beautiful !!

28. mariemeurise says:

Waw, you turned one of the most terrifying things into something new and beautiful.. Thank you so much !

29. Anna says:

I love the analogy. It is so true. The blank page is your possession to do with as you wish. :)

30. oddlauren says:

Nice blog! I really like this post.

31. jfamily99 says:

I really like this post of yours

32. cwbybrick says:

Followed & on my blog roll!

33. Writesy says:

Very, very true.

34. A blank canvas makes me anxious. It takes me hours of pacing around the doorway to my studio, doing menial make work household chores befor I can get the nerve up to just go be in the same room with that canvas. Once I’m in the studio I feel anxious and maybe a bit angry now that I come to think about it. Or maybe it’s annoyed. Whatever it is, it definitely is in my head. I’ll fret and stress over what to paint and how to start and generally make myself feel sick until I finally get the courage up to attack the canvas and make that first mark. I don’t know why it’s like this. It just is. I hope with time and experience I will get more at ease with starting a painting. I mean it’s not exactly a life and death scenario so why do I build it up so much? Fear of failure I guess.

I like your thoughts on it being freedom and a fresh start. I am going to try to think of it that way. If it doesn’t turn out, so what? I know I can start over, learn from it and I don’t have to show anyone if I’m not comfortable doing that.

Thanks for this post. I truly am going to actively try to change my attitude about my blank canvases!

35. K. Francis says:

Whenever I am about to start a new project I stop and stare at the page for a few seconds. I try not to linger too long otherwise the ideas will pass my head and maybe move onto somebody else. But I feel like I can hear the page screaming at me to start; it wants to be filled in, it wants to be my canvas, it is just waiting for me to start writing because as you said, its never going to write itself.

36. sharmakeshav says:

This thought, by itself, shows how the mind of creative person can think :)
    I also feel the same way whenever I open a blank page with the intention of writing something new.
    Each moment of our life is also like a blank page which we can paint with our efforts and good thoughts. There is huge potential hidden in each and every moment. We just need to recognize it in the same way as you shared your experience of a blank page. It is a opportunity to start something new.

Thanks for sharing how small things can also teach us something good and inspire us. :)

37. alexjrankin says:

It’s true. Much like the artist making their first stroke of the paint on an empty canvas; it’s completely yours to say or create whatever you want. I don’t know if anything else gives you that kind of freedom.

38. This was very inspirational and a call to action on my part. I have left too many pages blank recently and its time to start putting “something” down. Thanks.

39. Do you mind If I use the last line of this for a “quote of the day” on my blog?