Just write!

Odds are that one day you’ll start working on a story for longer than usual. Odds are that you’ll try to make it perfect, even when it’s clear that you’re just afraid to let it go. You’ll fear rejection and bad reviews. You’ll think you’re not good enough to write the story the way it deserves to be written. You haven’t lived long enough and stuff like that.

Maybe you do so because you feel this story’s the “one.” This is the story where you actually say something no one else can, where you leave behind more of you than you’ve done before. It’s the story that defines who you are more than anything else ever written.

It’s your baby, and you want to take care of it and it’s terrifying to see it grow, because you know that one day it’s going to leave home and meet new people and someone undoubtedly is going to hate it. And, so, you postpone that day for as long as you can.

Somehow, you feel you’re not a writer because you make stuff up, but you’re writer because of this particular story.

And it’s scary, because you feel it means more to you than it could ever mean to a stranger. No one’s ever going to love it like you do, and, yes, you might be true, but that doesn’t mean it’s not going to be loved at all.

I fell into this trap. More than once.  I was staring at manuscripts, being afraid to take any action. Being afraid to format the e-book and the paperback. Of course, I didn’t even want to think about uploading it on KDP or Smashwords.

Somehow, I felt I could make it better if I waited. For what, I don’t know. Just wait, because something was going to happen. Something magical, and then the novel was going to be perfect, and I was going to make everyone happy.

But the truth is that you just have to write. Get it over with. Let it go. Good or bad, it doesn’t really matter. Let the readers decide. After all, once you release that story into the world, it’s no longer yours. It’s theirs – to read, to love, to loathe.  And they won’t care if this is the story you’ve loved to write more than anything else. All they’ll care about is whether or not the story was worth their time.

Because, if you did everything right, writing the damn thing sure was worth YOUR time.

***

Thanks to Sarah, Sora, and Aanchal, we’re now almost half-way through to being fully funded. We’re at 445$ out of $1,000 goal.

Of course, there are still plenty of cool perks still available, including the fantastic Rockstar perk.

If you want to help me keep this blog alive, if you believe in my writing, you can help me out here.

Cristian

23 comments on “Just write!

1. This is the kind of motivation I needed for some time now. Thanks :)

2. Thanks for posting this. This fear hasn’t crept up on me yet, but I’m afraid it will. Then I’ll come back and re-read this.

3. Sara Lewis says:

Just what I needed! I’m not short on ideas at the moment, but I’m only eighteen, so I’m afraid that I’m not experienced enough or not skilled enough to make those stories all that they could be. That stupid word: “afraid.” The day I start writing without being afraid will probably be the day I write a bestseller.

4. Well said Cristian! Get it written then publish, let it go :)

5. kayliz079 says:

You definitely just epitomized my fears about becoming the writer I want to; I’ve had so many poems and stories I’ve loved stay hidden because of fear of someone’s rejection but this just pushed my motivation further, so thank you(:

6. Erik Conover says:

Sit down and just let it pour out into the pen or keyboard! Great

7. Topazshell says:

Thank you for the encouragement.

8. I’ve been thinking of writing a book for sometime now – but there’s much holding me back, some of it involving all that you just wrote. Great post … be it for yourself, for me, for anyone else reading it and feeling it – very inspiring.

9. You have spoken a truth I needed to hear.

10. Ashley-Anna says:

Wow. That’s just what I needed. I’ve been stuck on this one story for quite a while and have rewritten chapters over and over! I’m definitely a perfectionist (aren’t all writers?) and this was perfect for me right now. Thanks, Christian, this post has inspired me more than you could imagine:).

11. linolal91 says:

What I needed to hear as a young writer. Thank you :)

12. vianamartin says:

What a sweet torture, being a writer! :) Still, what a journey!

13. Kevin Payne says:

Truer words have never been spoken. Great post.

14. Auntie B says:

Wow, I really needed this! I just started my blog and I’m so nervous! This helped calm my fears!

15. Tracey says:

True. Even if someone loathes your writing you are the one that gave them that experience. Write on!

16. Sandrine Tungka says:

I love this post. Thank you for reminding me there’s a thing called “Just Write!”. I need to go for it an let my fears go away.

17. Charles says:

Good words, Sums up how i feel about my kids and my writing, even though I know one day it’ll be best to let them both go.

18. mypalatebook says:

Enough words to boost up anyone in need.Thanks!

19. Awesome…thank you!!! xoxo :)

20. Sanket says:

Many also tend to think they’re not creative enough for fresh ideas. That their stories or posts are going to sound the same like a thousand others. But it never does and being a new writer I understand this now. Even if you’re writing on a topic already discussed a million times, your language is your own. Your words are going to be different no matter what and that’s what makes it your story. And you’ll always find someone or the other appreciating your way of writing better than the other. It might not be a lot but it’ll feel great nevertheless.

21. This was an awesome post. It rings so true of what I think every author has experienced. There always is this tribulation when you put something new out there. Will people like it or not. However, the important thing is you wrote it and if it satisfies your longing this is what should make you happy.