On being invincible

“In the midst of hate, I found there was, within me, an invincible love.
In the midst of tears, I found there was, within me, an invincible smile.
In the midst of chaos, I found there was, within me, an invincible calm.
I realized, through it all, that…
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back.”
Albert Camus

The only way you’re ever going to accomplish something worth mentioning is to rely on your inner strength. True motivation comes from inside. Why some people never give up, no matter what, and why some people never finish a job they’ve started… that’s all about how much they believe in themselves.

The truth is, I can tell you all about my struggles, my problems, and how I chose to face them, how I decided to keep on writing, even when I couldn’t see any reason to keep on doing so. Even when failure was always around the corner. I can write about it, tell you about it, I can tell you that you can do great things only if you set your mind to it, that greatness is achievable, and so on… but the truth is that at the end of the day, if you don’t believe in yourself, nothing will change.

Because change comes from the inside, comes from the realization that you alone are responsible for what you will become. No one else. You’re writing the story of your life, and you alone are holding the pen.

That being said, any external factors, and relying on such external factors, will often lead to failure. For instance, if you make art in order to please any number of people… and you do so in order to receive praise, you’ll always want more praise, from more people, and no matter how many will adore your works, it won’t be enough.

If you make art for money, you’ll never earn enough. If you make art because someone told you’re good, the moment that person stops telling you that, you also stop making art.

My stories will survive… on the Internet, on servers, on bookshelves…

I write for myself, because I want to, because I can, and because I have to. I strive to be better at this because my stories deserve it. Not you, my readers, but my stories. This shifts the focus from what others want (and their expectations) to something you want… it’s easier to control the outcome if you believe you’re in control.

What I’m really trying to say is that you become invincible once you realize that you might never be in control, but you can always fight. You have the freedom to chose a number of paths, yet the outcome is never in your control. No one will ever be able to tell you for sure that your book will sell, or that people will read it or care or love it or hate it.

All you can know is that you can write that book. What others take from it, if anything at all, shouldn’t be your concern. What happens after that should never affect you.

I used to be the exact opposite. I always tried to please my readers, I always tried to impress people. You know, to bleed words from my heart. I was trying too hard. I didn’t want to let go… I felt that my stories needed more work. I was afraid of bad reviews, of rejection. I was afraid some folks might disagree with me.

Art is personal. Maybe too personal. It’s what we do best. It’s what we cherish most in the world, all put together in the form of a story or a painting or a song. Our dreams and our most bitter disillusions, our heartaches, our secrets, and pretty much all the other stuff we keep locked up in our hearts. But we have to let go, because otherwise we’ll be too vulnerable.

24 comments on “On being invincible

1. aetherhouse says:

“I write because I’m afraid I’ll die without having a chance to finish all the stories that I want to write. It doesn’t matter how many read me, all that matters is that my stories will have a chance to survive. To paraphrase Chuck Palahniuk, I don’t want to live forever, I want to create something that has a chance of lasting forever.”

This, in a nutshell, is my life. It would take four lifetimes to write all the books and make all the films I want to make. If I died tomorrow, the saddest thing about it would be that I never got to write all those untapped ideas. Art is immortality. It’s a more finite legacy than having kids or having a nice career. That’s what makes it the reason we live.

You’re very inspiring <3 Best of luck with everything.

2. andrealee4691 says:

I enjoy your positive voice. And you are so right…we create best from our own inspiration rather than writing or making art “for the market”. That being said, some feedback is important – after all, most of us would like an audience, however small. But it shouldn’t define us.

3. It seems we are both inspired by the same quote. I wrote it in a Matt Comi inspired piece and my teacher crossed out summer and put autumn. I’ve used invincible Autumn ever since!

4. DONE THAT BEEN THERE.I can totally relate.wow,you never cease to amaze me.and I m so sorry I m going through a rough patch and don’t have any way I could help you

5. You become invincible by living in the moment, not worrying about yesterday or tomorrow.

6. tmcasciano says:

I write because I believe that my words, my story, may help others. I feel called to write and share with the hope that I can inspire others to never give up.

7. D.Em says:

This post is moving, and very relatable to me. Keep on keeping on!

8. INSPIRING AND BEST OF LUCK

9. This is great advice. I am always questioning myself as a writer, and not really motivated to write at all. I love the passion in this post, it really motives and inspires me.

10. mrmonkey1980 says:

I’ve been the opposite for a long while; too worried about gaining exposure to actually do any writing, and too worried about writing bad work to use the precious time I have.

11. sheenask12 says:

Ths s fab! Inspiring :)

12. bauhinia2014 says:

Thank you for writing this impressing post and sharing the quote! Your inspiring words remind me to have faith in myself and confront everything in a positive attitude even in the face of challenges. I am so glad to read articles from such an optimistic writer like you. :)

13. Oh so true, I so enjoy reading your blog Cristian, thank you.

14. lwinzarni says:

Before I started my blog a few weeks ago, I thought who’s gonna read what I have to say. But after reading this, it doesn’t matter and I’m glad I started my blog. Thanks for inspiring me.

15. Perfectly put. I too wrote for ME. Simply cathardic for my never-ending thoughts and restless soul. Perfecto.

16. fagghonk says:

Really breathtaking.

17. Thank you for your post. It seems sometimes that I can’t NOT write. The words are swirling around in my mind and I can’t rest until I release them and give them a home on a blank page. Am sure many writers feel this same tug that makes them click the keys. Nice to be in like company. The best to you — and all the other wordsmiths who support each other through reading blog posts. Look forward to reading more…..

18. Your posts are real motivators for me to open up and express all I want to say, all that have left imprints deep within me, all that were never real and not the real Me. It’s important for me to let out for me to see myself totally as I am. Thank You!

19. simon7banks says:

Well said. But since the lifespan of our planet is limited and our whole galaxy is heading slowly towards a cataclysmic collision, perhaps we should accept that nothing will last forever if it is in time.

20. veronika says:

I really like this! And definitely need to apply this concept to all areas of my life. I am in control and I choose the outcome and it does not matter how other people react to what I choose! Again thank you for the encouraging reminder!

21. beckyg1003 says:

This is a very helpful and insightful article about finding your inner strength and inner motivation to write. I choose what I want to write about and not worry what others will think of my topic or story of choice.

22. I have been enjoying your blog for a couple weeks now. Your raw honesty is inspiring!. I have only just started my blog and I have been scared to be raw with people. Your words have said things I can’t put words to and have draw a connection to humanity that is often missing in our digital world. Keep up what you are doing!

23. Shirley Burley says:

Yeah!! As an artist, it’s all about me, actually :-) I make artworks because… the activity of making makes me happy, it’s a way of living my life. When I sell stuff I make – great! When people enjoy what I make – greater! When I enjoy making – greatest! Strong article Christian.