Here and now

tumblr_navmpw7U4D1r5gmiko1_400Anton Chekhov once wrote that any idiot can face a crisis – it’s day to day life that wears you out. And he was right. I believe that most of us are strong enough to conquer the reality we live in, but so few of us are actually in control. It’s the ups and downs that make life interesting, to say the least. The struggles, the fights, the losses.

But at the same time this makes life so unpredictable. And it’s in our nature to do everything we can to make it as easy and predictable as possible. So we build a web of routines, and we escape reality one day at a time. Think about it. Waking up at the same hour, doing the same things, eating at the same restaurants.

Routines make us feel safe. Routines are supposed to make life predictable enough, so we never have to go out of our comfort zones.

Pack some bags and go two thousand miles in any direction. Plane, bus, car.

Could you do it?

We grow roots… it’s such a subtle process that we’re not ever aware of it. We get used to the same places, to the same faces, and to waking up in the same bed.

Here and now… you should ask yourself if the life you are living is the life you’ve always wanted. Be honest. Find the routines, the patterns, the compromises. Find all the excuses you create in order to fight any chance of escaping your comfort zone.

Because all those things are actually enabling you to escape reality. The world you live in is just the product of years and years of doing the same things day in and day out.

You can do more. You can be more. You can see more. You can live more.

It’s not going to be easy, and it’s not even supposed to be, but it’s going to be worth it.

28 comments on “Here and now

1. J. Grace says:

You’re right. Routine feels safe, but is ultimately stunting.
    Thanks for this post. Very inspiring message.

2. Nan Sampson says:

Brilliant. I take this is a challenge to explore my own routines and do something to shake things up. Thanks, Cristian!

3. M.K. Wiggins says:

Very inspiring post. To break the habitual routine of my life, I went to the mountains to live and work on a small farm. Before I left for the farm, I was growing increasingly unhappy with my life becoming as stale as it was. Now it is time for me to leave the farm, and I leave with a refreshed sense of what my heart wants.

4. Yes it’s the day to day life that kills us! I’m a wanderer and dreamer of life and routine and order just wears me down. Great post! At least I’ve managed to through myself in that ‘get on a plane’ part :)

5. anag7 says:

Well said! I always try to push myself past the routine and the ordinariness of the day-to-day. I want to go above and beyond in all I do, which means taking a risk. Thanks for sharing.

6. DanayeElise says:

Great post. I’m entering high school and I’m nervous because I like my own familiar middle school with teachers and students and classes I know. Doing something new or travelling far away can be terrifying, but it can also be so rewarding. :)

7. Asanna says:

Inspiring, as always. Do more..live more :)

8. joeisbusy says:

Nicely put. As long as I can remember, I always wanted to write and learn to play a guitar. Until I was diagnosed with cancer last September, I didn’t have “time” to pursue either of theses “dreams”.
    Well, I started blogging two weeks ago about my journey through this monster, cancer.
    Saturday I bought a guitar!
    Needless to say, I am way outside my comfort zone now! My whole life I have had lists, and lists of lists of things I wanted or needed to do.
    Now, I am living day by day. I thank God for every morning I wake up. Thanks for your post

9. lorieb says:

you are very wise for a young man!!

10. Awesome post! I’ve been saying that I’d love to perform music in front of people for a long time now. Yesterday I finally took action and actually got myself a gig! All you have to do is put some effort, and you are more likely to see results than if you had not tried at all. Hope you are doing well.

11. David Snape says:

Doing the same routines each day does help and you feel comfortable, safe, not taking any risks, like working and kids. Its only at weekends were you don’t get into a routine and you can do whatever you want.

12. gonerustic says:

Love the Chekhov quote – shared via my Facebook page :)

13. Love this post, starting with your opener, “any idiot can face a crisis – it’s day to day life that wears you out.” Brilliant!!

14. simon7banks says:

Routine is necessary, Consider dressing in the morning as if you’d never dressed before, or arriving at 9 at a government office supposed to be open 9-5 to find that just for the hell of it they’d decided that day to open at 1 and close at 8 and to lock the front door but keep a window open at the back.

It’s when we can’t see and be beyond routine that there’s a problem. Like habits of food and drink, it needs to be broken from time to time.

And Chekhov was not entirely right. People react very differently to crises. Some panic. Some seek a familiar situation to pretend applies and wrench what they see to fit this, reacting to the wrong situation. Some stay rational, relatively open-minded and able to act. I was watching a TV programme last night on the investigation into that Air France crash in the Atlantic, heading from Brazil to Paris, and it was clear that the two pilots flying the plane in the absence of the captain (who had gone for his scheduled sleep) were not only not adequately trained for the situation that happened, but panicked and couldn’t think straight about something that should have been quite simple. Yet they were intelligent men carefully selected for the job.

15. beingeternal says:

“I wish” defines your pipe dream and “I will” defines your act of turning the dream into reality. Ultimately, it is your actions that delineate and define you.

16. bkolisha says:

Thanks Cristian. I have found that when tragedy or something happens in life that we don’t expect, we tend to freeze at first, but in some cases, like impending death or ourselves or others we find a way to touch base with the true desires in our hearts that we thought were only fairy tale dreams and reach a higher, more satisfying place in our hearts than we ever did before. So in one statement, facing the death of someone or something in our life can propel us to live life more fully.

17. mjh333 says:

I love change and try and not have routines, but in this day and ages it’s very tricky. We can but try :)

18. So true! It took me until I was 40 to jump out of my comfort zone. I haven’t regretted a single day since. This past year I challenged myself to do something new every week & it’s been both a challenge & a delight.

The fact that you’ve already got this outlook will only serve you you well. Onward!

19. embluitt2011 says:

I REALLY needed to see this right now. It’s awesome. I’m ready to BE MORE!

20. Actions are always louder than words

21. maithili09 says:

Because all those things are actually enabling you to escape reality (like that line a lot and the context)

22. ikenna2014 says:

exactly a year and a month ago, i envisioned a life i desired; to write and live free. i took the bold step to quit out of a boring job that sapped all my creative energy. right now i am at 57,000 words into what i hope will become my debut novel in three weeks. within that space of time, i created a blog where i daily update my short stories and poems and i live off the comments i get from readers. that is the difference between living and existing. nice post i must admit

23. nicoleperne says:

I absolutely love this post. It’s so true but so few people realize it.

24. ajkrasauskas says:

Thanks for this. I have been on a thread along these lines for a couple of weeks now. Synchronicity is always nice :D

25. princess marksalot says:

You hit the nail on the head! YES it’s going to be worth it!

26. colibrist says:

Beautiful post, you’re so right! I just decided to ask for a sabbatical leave to go traveling around the world… it was a difficult decision, and I’m still a bit scared of leaving my comfort zone, but during the trip the comfort zone will enlarge and then it will be ok (I hope!). Thanks for sharing!