That moment…

A couple of weeks ago I almost gave up on this blog, on writing, on basically everything I was. Quite a strange moment. I was afraid that I might never become what I’ve always wanted to be.

Because, as any self-publisher can tell you, summer is tough. Book sales always go down. In my case, they almost stopped. Even though I released a new title, that just wasn’t enough.

Sometimes things happen, and we can’t explain them. This was one of those times.

And I was bitter and angry and frustrated. Because it was all about me, and my own misfortunes, and I thought the world owed me something for all the time and effort and hard-work I’d put into my writing.

That way of looking at things will always destroy one’s confidence. The world owes you nothing, and the sooner you realize this, the better.

And, yes, during those few moments of doubt I wanted to blame everyone else for what was happening, but then I realized it was my fault. If I gave up, it was me who was giving up.

I suppose moments like these come along quite often during one’s life. When you have to decide whether you’re going down the right path or not, whether you should stop or head back or change direction. Whether you need a new compass or just adjust your goal.

As much as I hate to say it, happiness is a state of mind. In a world of “more is never enough” contentment is a rare thing.

But then again, there’s a fine difference between greed and ambition I suppose.

What I’m really trying to say is that no one’s perfect, and that we all have our moments of doubt. We all want to give up on something at some point. And what we do then is going to leave a mark for the rest of our lives. The consequences of our actions, the echoes of what we did or didn’t do, the ghosts of what could have been but wasn’t meant to be.

Sometimes all you have to do is clench your teeth and keep going.

Ask yourself that.

Do you want too much too soon? Ask yourself that.

Does it seem impossible simply because you were expecting it to be effortless?

In my case, I realized that I’m quite young, and that I’ve got many stories to write. I reminded myself that I once stared at what seemed impossible and decided to do it anyway. And the outcome far surpassed my most ambitious dreams when the impossible became a bit less impossible.

And I reminded myself that life has this bizarre quality: hard times come and go. They always, always come and go.

***

In case you missed it, me and Anca Dunavete are planning to release a collection of short stories this summer. We’re really excited about this project, but we can’t make it happen without your help. You can help us reach our goal and publish the book here.

134 comments on “That moment…

1. xxjeanxx says:

I even blogged about feeling “All me” today. Thanks, this really helped an otherwise dark day.

2. malartart says:

Inspiring words. I always have doubts but keep on trying to move forward. Thanks for the post.

malart

3. aVe says:

Becoming familiar with quitting helps you become a master at starting over again.

4. Becky Bee says:

I’m glad you didn’t give up.

5. Best of luck with your book sales!

6. The timing of this post is “just perfect”. I needed this motivation and I am glad I got it. Thank you so much. I better realize what you wrote: The world owes you nothing, and the sooner you realize this, the better.

• I second you. I also came across this post just when i needed to. Just shows how one can be a blessing in disguise to another. Basically this testimony is a blessing to many. Thank you.

7. Dan Antion says:

You are right to ask yourself those questions. In your case, I am sure that hard time will eventually go, and eventually won’t be that long a time. Ask the questions and finding the answers, all add to your experience and, as you have done here, you will find a way to share that with your readers. Thanks for sharing this and good and continued good luck.

8. I am also a self published author and I have wondered from time to time if it is worth it. My first book has not sold very well but all reviews on it have been positive. I know I have many more books to write also but I have had moments of doubt as well. I have often wanted to crawl into bed, throw my blanket over my head, and give up my dream of writing. And sometimes I do. For about 15 minutes. Then the stories call to me. I think as writers and artists we ARE the art we create. We can’t stop. It is just in us.
    I wish you all the best of luck and know that you are not alone in your frustration.

9. Keep going! And I’ll keep going…Jodi tor daak shone keu na aashe tobe ekla cholo re. If, when you call, no one comes, walk alone, walk fearless. Rabindranath Tagore

10. Stick it out, as long as you’re doing what you love, that is what’s important.

11. makagutu says:

Best wishes with all your plans

12. You are speaking my language. These questions totally struck a chord with me: “Do you want too much too soon? Ask yourself that. Does it seem impossible simply because you were expecting it to be effortless?” Yes and maybe.

13. iamccsmith says:

Thank you for words of encouragement!

14. hazelnemesis says:

you are wise=) thank you for sharing this with us, I really really appreciate that you decided not to stop writing, it would have been a real shame and loss!

15. “sometimes you’ve got to give up”

Yes. If only so you can reassess and start again.

16. mango1531 says:

I would be devastated if you quit now, I’m a big fan of your blog and your work.. Hang in there :)

17. cari365 says:

Truer words never spoken (the world owes you Nothing!!!) Those old reward based beliefs don’t work anymore…the degree to which we “suffer’ does NOT entitle us to some big reward. Very hard pill to swallow! I’m so happy you found the strength to continue :)

18. Celena G. says:

Well, I’m glad you haven’t given up. Sometimes, we set goals for ourselves and it doesn’t quite happen in that time table. Don’t give up — several famous people of the past have had huge success, but only after dealing with what seemed, I’m sure, insurmountable at the time! The true test, I’ve read, to whether you truly love something or not is would you do it even if you didn’t have any chance at all at being recognized or compensated? Just do it because you love it — the rest will come.

19. Thank you for this post… I’ve been struggling with whether or not to give up blogging because I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. I know my expectations are high..(that’s probably where my problem is.) I’m glad to see from the other comment’s that you have helped other’s… congratulations. keep on writting and inspiring!

20. vinylrichie says:

Thank you for posting this, Christian. Writing can frequently seem fruitless but not writing is definitely so, we must remember that.

21. Angel Pricer says:

The ability to give up is one of the most valuable skills I’ve developed; for it always shows me something I couldn’t have seen when holding on with clenched fists. I love your writing and am considering a donation to the short story book. Your outlook and the energy behind the project will serve you well :)

22. The way you felt is how I have been feeling for the past month. Being in the creative field, unlike other spheres where there are set formulas for doing things- is purely dependent on NOT having a creative block. I’m glad you kept going!

23. dysacalin says:

“Does it seem impossible simply because you were expecting it to be effortless?” -> one of the most beautiful thoughts I’ve ever stumbled upon. I’ll keep this with me!
    Thank you for your post :) You’ve an amazing journey to take and I wish it brings you as much gratification and frustration as you’d please, to make it feel worthwhile.
    Dysa.

24. You write wonderfully. Keep writing. And then when ‘that moment’ appears again, it will be a piece of cake to decide which way you’d want to go. :)

25. bonsology says:

Resistance just means you are doing it right.

26. You are right when you say that when we are too self-focused we make foolish mistakes. Nearly two thousand years ago there was an amazing writer who was passionate, intelligent and whose writings still impact much of the world today. He wrote these compelling and insightful words about contentment from a Roman prison, “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him (Christ) who gives me strength.” His name was Paul and his stuff is still a worthwhile read. To read the entire letter (it’s all about joy) you can find it in the Bible as his letter to the Philippians. When I am down and am tempted to quit I think about Paul’s words in another letter that encourages, “So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen (Christ) is eternal.” (II Corinthians 4:18) He is worthy of your trust Cristian!

27. Man, I gotta tell you, it’s been so awesome of you to have self-published your stories, despite all the backlashes. I’ve been, in the last 6 years, authored 12 incomplete novels – you know, the most common thing authors face is ‘writer’s block’, when you run out of ideas and end up stumbled on how the plots should end – but, yeah, you know, life is sometimes bitter. You should have been very proud of yourself. Everyone’s trying, but few are willing to resist. Keep going!

28. bwcarey says:

the road less traveled is not the easiest route, but will certainly inspire

29. I wish all the best in’nit.

30. I frequently feel like that, although I suspect in my case it’s because I still don’t truly feel that writing is a “real” thing that “ordinary” people like me do. I know in my heart that it is and that there are many many extraordinary ordinary people out there writing wonderful prose. Doesn’t stop the doubts when the hill looks steep though. Thanks for this post Cristian, it’s a good perspective.

31. Your words and strength are giving me words and strength. Let’s keep going! Thank you.

32. you basically answered all my life queries that have been bombarding my mind recently, in one single blog! Fabulous post!

33. Yes, blaming others is a fools errand. Somehow, though, we are all guilty of it. Happiness is a choice. Simple words that require the strength to let go.

34. lifeangel07 says:

Very nice. I also have a lot of those moments of doubt, and I keep reminding myself of the reason on why I brought myself here in the first place. All the best with your books! Cheers :)

35. Now that you’ve written it down, I think the hard times will pass sooner, because you’ve got this to read for perspective. I’ll be sure to reread it when these things happen to me, too.

36. Thank you for the reminder. I needed wise words like these, and a kick in the pants. ;) Traveling a fine line myself. My problem is ‘balance’. Much luck to you and Anca on the release!

37. Hi Christian! Your post is very heartfelt and rings true. There are always reasons to keep plugging away at something, and there will always be reasons to give up. The old adage of hoping for the best but planning for the worst always rings true. As you already understand, there are hard times and bad times. I couldn’t find the article because it was from a while ago, but I read somewhere in the New York Times about how we all have a “baseline reading” for happiness, and that regardless of the events that take place in our lives, eventually we settle back down to that medium. Part of it is genetic, but a lot of it is also based on our worldview. So whether your books succeed or fail, life is beautiful and it goes on :)

Oh, and also, thank you for following my blog! :D

38. Megan says:

I’m glad you didn’t give up!

Sometimes when we hit a brick wall, we need to gather ourselves and re-evaluate. Cursing the wall can only go so far, so we end up looking at ourselves and realize that maybe we were naïve, unrealistic or even arrogant. It’s times like that when we realize we weren’t in the right state of mind at all, but yet, there’s something inside that makes us want to go on. And that something is why we create in the first place.

Being humbled: it can suck, but it is such a blessing when you think about it.

39. nancyrae4 says:

You are very wise for one so young. A lovely, inspiring post and, btw, just what I needed to hear. Giving up can be wise, but is it really what I want to do? My answer is a resounding no. I will work on keeping my expectations realistic and continue writing because I love it and it gives me a meaningful challenge.Best wishes, Cristian, and keep up your wonderful blog!

40. nomorecv64 says:

That was very personal. Thanks for sharing. I actually read all of it. I’m in a similar spot and working on a post as we speak about something similar. It’s easy to learn the world owes you nothing, but the hardest thing for me to accept was that I don’t owe the world anything either. Live YOUR life. “Rain or shine, it’s just a state of mind.”

41. Teresa says:

Thank you for your Post, 24 hrs ago I was ready to quit all the arts that make my life… No kidding…disillusioned with everything and especially with people. I guess my expectations are so high, I get discourage when I am going head-over-heels to get art in their life … but all I get in return… is something like you say in your posting I also think the world owes me something for all the time and effort and hard-work I’d put into Art, in my case. Yet to be in touch with people like you, is certainly one of the rewards I have from bloging.
    I tried to put a contribution to your short stories, but PayPal does not convince me and it is too much trouble to sign in and adding another spot in the net to watch out…for. Another way I can do it? Instruct me please.

42. avwalters says:

It’s the good news. It’s the bad news. It’s not about you.

43. i like ur writing. i’m envy that u r so young and already had a big passionate for writing. keep it up..

44. Your blog is always very inspiring and for some reason always fits with my feelings. I find that writing my blog is one of the things that helps me the most when the day isn’t too great, writing has been an essential part of life for centuries. I just started my blog, but at times I feel like it won’t get anywhere, and others I feel like if I didn’t have a blog, then what would I do?

45. pfstare says:

Exactly how I’ve been feeling. Go for teeth clenching and carrying on – in my experience it’s the best thing to do, although sometimes you need to take the day off, go and do something to recharge and come back to it again tomorrow.

46. I can’t believe your moment of doubt coincided with my decision to buy your ‘dream city’ book and send you an email… asking a question… now i understand why i didn’t receive a reply… So glad you realised that the doubt didn’t have to linger in your life…. you are great…

47. loriking says:

I’m glad you posted this today. I’m struggling with doubts and ghosts of my own. Thank you for letting me know I’m not alone and thank you for your fortitude in keeping going.

48. dariusjones says:

C,

Right on. I’ve faced this in the past, too. I’m sure I’ll face it again. All of us writers do.

As for me, I have come to realize and accept that I have no control over what other people think about my work. So, now, I just write for me. And I keep writing because I have to. If others respond to it, I’ll keep writing. If others don’t respond to it, I’ll keep writing.

That’s all there is.

,DJ

49. No Longer I says:

We all do those things, don’t we! Sadly, to our own hurt, we get resentful when things don’t go our way. We seldom choose contentment – we seem to prefer to suffer! Great how you said it would be wrong to give up, to blame someone, to throw it all away. Good encouragement to keep going.

50. twotoyou says:

I am a writer as well. I am currently in the process of finishing my first novel. I haven’t reached the publishing part of the experience yet, but I can imagine how frustrating that must feel. Keep your head up. Write for yourself and if other people like it, then great. If it’s a passion and it’s something that you enjoy, then don’t ever give up just based on others opinions.

51. I really appreciate your transparency – hearing the whirring of the cogs in your psyche has made me feel less alone in my tendency to get frustrated that things dont happen quick enough or full enough – I have a past littered with unfinished projects and great ideas that have remained unrealised.Recently a friend lent me a book that has challenged these tendencies in me and helped me to work at overcoming them. I recommend it to you “The Compound Effect” by Darren Hardy – its a short book but very helpful.
    Just wanted to tell you about it – but you know best how to go forward – we are all different.

52. That’s exactly how I’ve been feeling. Good to know I’m not alone.

53. Kat says:

I too am glad you didn’t give up! I had just that moment myself today as I felt like giving up on what seems to be my impossible dream. Thank you for inspiring me to keep going :)

54. mareymercy says:

A very nice post! And timely for me as well.

55. Brandy M. Brown says:

As writers we all come, or will come to this place sooner or later. I believe you were suppose to come to this crossroads, if not only to get your second wind and assess why you love to write in the first place. Great post.

56. Mich-in-French says:

Giving up threatens all of us at some stage – so pleased you didn’t give in to it. As i can see from all the comments none of us are alone in this experience. Thank you for following my blog – it always helps the ego a little when you see a new follower on the map. All the best with the book sales.

57. Dent says:

Sometimes you need to walk through the desert to get to the next oasis.

58. rcprice says:

I feel like that at least once a week. It comes with the territory as a writer. You never think you’re good enough. Especially after you read someone else’s work. You keep writing because that’s who you are. No one ca change that.

59. M T McGuire says:

I hear you. I don’t have time to build up momentum and a big back catalogue. My writing and therefore my career as an author move at glacial speeds… Nope actually… Thinking about it glaciers are faster. BUT the thing is, it is moving. I should think there are several days a week, for all of us, when we have to tell ourselves that.

Excellent post.

Cheers

MTM

60. ScullySpeaks says:

I agree that happiness is a choice. Keep plugging along, I really love your writing. Don’t forget the economy is horrible too.

61. Lindsay says:

I’m very glad you didn’t give into your urge to give everything up (and I know there are many, many others out there who would agree with me). It would be such a shame to extinguish such a talented voice that speaks to so many people on a personal level.

For artist’s in particular, our work is so personal. We put so much of ourselves into what we do– there is very little separation between our career, the work we produce, and our core self. When we encounter “hard times” in our career, or our work isn’t received as we’d hoped, it can make us doubt ourselves at a very personal level. It’s not hard to turn something like a normal, industry-wide drop in summer book sales, into a personal failure– i.e. “That Moment” which makes us question whether we have chosen the wrong path in life.

But as you said, the hard times will come, and then they will go. It would be a mistake to let something so temporary alter your course in life. I think for an artist or writer, the time to give up is when– after taking a good long look in the mirror– you realize that you have nothing left to say.

62. Piscis says:

Glad you talked some sense into yourself! When you’re feeling down in the pits, just take a look at that 41,000+ and growing number on the side of your ‘blog, and remember how many folks have faith in you. (>^-‘)>

63. Red Antzz says:

Thank you for sharing this. This means so much. I can apply this to many things.
    Keep going, right? Keep going!! :)

64. You don’t write, or paint or make music for other people to buy it. You do it because NOT doing it would cause an unendurable state of emotional constipation. You do it because you must. And you hope like hell you can make a living out of it, but that’s really secondary. At least authors can achieve fame while they are alive. Most artists only get famous after they’re dead!

65. berlioz1935 says:

You can’t give up. You are a writer and will continue. Monetary reward is only the icing on the cake. You have gathered a community of friends.

66. I’ve only just discovered your blog, please don’t stop now! Ganbare! (Japanese for “good luck” / “do your best” / “hang in there!”) (^_^)

67. katyhancock says:

Beautiful writing like that and all of the loving responses you’ve inspired is precisely why you can’t give up and why you would never be content if you did. I’m glad you’re still here.

68. Linda Vernon says:

I was recently inspired to keep writing by Ray Bradbury’s advice. The only way you can fail at writing is to give up!

69. Well done for taking a step back and seeing things as they are. Life is a path that can be rough or smooth at any time, but the path is still life and living.
    A theory that comes to mind when reading your post is instant/delayed gratification. How are we at coping without the instant gratification and how can we learn to live with delayed gratification?
    Good luck with the short stories!!

70. Thanks for the pep talk :)

71. Jack says:

Just don’t give up. As @Linda Vernon says about Ray Bradbury’s advice, the only way you can fail is to give up (or if some crazy fireman will burn all the books in the world :D)

72. Uncle Spike says:

I am new to writing. After years and years of gaining life experience, the time has come to let some of it go, so to speak, in the form of a blog. I think I always wanted to write, and must admit, that the risk of failure was always a stopper for me, but now I have come to a point where, for me anyhow, it’s the act of writing, of sharing, that is the buzz I seek, not fame, not reader numbers (although it’s a nice bonus). Keep on writing, there are obviously thousands who hope that you do!

73. I had the same feeling too, but I realized I wanted too much too soon. I decided then, to take it one day at a time…one post at a time. Perception is reality, so I decided to see that it’s not about anyone else…it’s about me and doing the best I can.

74. A great read. It was honest and you can take something from it

75. willowwand64 says:

Pursuing a dream can be tough. I am also a writer, & found I can best put those skills to use writing a blog. I am combining my nursing skills, my transition to fitness, as well as writing, to inspire and help others. Pursue, chase, and keep at it. Rest, regroup, and then continue. That’s what life is–and if we are lucky, we are able to help others do the same.

76. Todd Pate says:

I feel this just about everyday. When I’m writing – especially revising – my ego tells me I’m the greatest writer then suddenly calls me the worst hack on the planet. And, as far as pushing through or backing off of something, I ususally never know what to do. But if I don’t panic, I usually end up on the right path somehow. Good, honest post!

77. Stay strong. There are so many things to bring you down in life; however, the ability to stand back up and keep being a BAMF and moving forward is the most inspiring and self-enforcing aspects of our humanity. Stay awesome.

78. Jessica says:

its funny how everyone anywhere can feel the same way at the same moment.

79. Wendy says:

” If I gave up, it was me who was giving up.” Exactly. If you read the biographies of any well known writers, they always have these moments. But, so does everyone, writer or not. What matters is to push past them. Writers simply must write,because those ideas and thoughts that dance around in our minds simply must come into presence for all to read.

80. acharif says:

i think i speak on behalf of everyone when i say i’m really glad you did not give up. Everyone has these “testing” moments, god knows i’ve been having far too many!

best of luck on your book, will make sure to leave a donation soon…

81. pmahaney says:

Cristian I am really glad you wrote this post as I feel it will inspire a great many more people who may become frustrated, as we all do from time to time. Plus had you quite you would have hated yourself for it because it truly is your passion. Some time in the future, maybe already, you are likely going to ignite that flame in someone else.

82. vagabundodiplomatico says:

I had a terrible day at work today, i almost quit.
    reading this made me feel less alone in my frustrations and resentment.
    I wish i had kept writing but unfortunately i have student loans to pay back that can no longer be postponed.
    Hope you get through the rough patches

83. winrchrist says:

Love your realistic attitude but I would like to quote you a scripture that came to me as I was reading your blog and I believe my Father(God Almighty) wants me to share it with you. Deut. 8:18 says, “But thou shalt remember the LORD THY GOD: for it is HE that giveth thee power to get wealth, that HE may establish HIS covenant which HE sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.” With GOD in the mix of things you will go far…….

84. June says:

Being a writer is a tough, lonely business and sometimes you just have to wallow for a bit. It’s trite to say but life (and writing) really is about the journey not the destination and sometimes you just have to plod on with nothing but a glimmer of hope and faith.

85. “But truth be told, sometimes you’ve got to give up. It’s going to happen. And you need to ask yourself, realistically, whether or not you giving up might bring you benefits later on. And ask yourself if there’s anything that can be fixed. If yes, try to fix it.”

Thanks Cristian for saying these, for the inspiration. Just reminded me of something.

86. YankumiChan says:

You never fail to inspire me.I always love the way you express what’s inside your head.

87. artzent says:

I have missed you and your great writing. This is a good example of it!

88. Peaks and valleys…life is a series of these. Recognize, enjoy and savor the peaks. They will give you the strength and optimism to survive the peaks. Giving up is never an actual option because unless you choose to stop living, there really is no way to give up. You might stop doing one thing and substitute for it with another, but you are still doing, keeping on, so to speak.
    At the lowest point in my life, when I suddenly became the single parent of 5 sons, it was the peaks from the first 42 years of my life that helped me climb out of that valley.

Glad to know that you realized you have a huge wonderful surprising future ahead of you!

89. That last line of your post hit home. I’m hoping that the “hard times” I’m in the midst of will be going really soon. I just have to keep saying to myself: “This too shall pass.”

90. I’m impressed with your creativity Christian. Your “strangers’ campaign is well thought out and I really like the artwork on your covers. Keep it going! And, thanks for the follow…

91. shanuwater says:

This post is awesome. Thank you for following me; by your doing that, it exposed me to someone else(you), that has experienced the highs and the lows of life, yet stay inspired by the challenges and unforeseen victories. Thank you, Chris. I look forward to being renewed.

92. eszterhills says:

Thanks for these inspiring words.

93. deboshripaul says:

Your book calls out. More than that, this blog strikes right where it ought to. An inspiring read.

94. Never give up! I know that horrible feeling you get sometimes – the business writer Seth Godin mentions it in a couple of his books and says you often get it just before success. He calls it “The Lizard”. Whatever you call it, don’t let it beat you – I see you’ve already published a couple of books which is more than most people ever dream of, so remember the rush that you got the first time you saw your name in print and use it to drive you on and stomp that lizard down! Best of luck :)

95. I LOVE this! Great reminder…for every situation!

96. Beautifully said Christian!

97. artbyisabel says:

I also had a doubting moment on my blog last week and concluded that doubt is what pushes us along and allows us to be our own critic, this is the greatest tool that we artist have because it clears our mind. When we stop doubting we stop creating. Stay on track young grasshopper. :)

98. Allow yourself to have some doubts and faithless moments, you’re only human! Drink a lot of wine, cry until your nose runs, stick a song on and dance in a drunk and embarrassing way as long as no one’s watching. Wake up, start over.

No, of course I have never done this! I am 100pc cool and confident 100pc of the time, but not everyone’s like me… :)

99. laurainman says:

I have had the same thoughts as those you expressed. If I hadn’t wanted to write for an audience, I probably would not have had such need of Stoicism. When reading the letters of Seneca (my Stoic source ) I came across the quote that captures the unimportance of the external world when it comes to writing and an audience: “Few are enough, one is enough, none is enough.”

100. Tom Schaber says:

Cristian,

Absolutely a great line-“the world owes you nothing”. There are millions and millions of people in this country USA) who need to understand that! I’ll stop there before I rant. I like your style. Thanks.

ts

101. writerlauren says:

Hi Cristian, I know that feeling well. From blogging, to working towards my degree at Uni, to writing my book- I hit ‘the wall’ of doubt that anyone wants to read what I have to say. You are very wise to be able to reflect on that feeling, understand it and accept it- rather than letting it stop you. I believe that the doubt is the same part that allows us to be humble about our work, and pushes us to make our work the best it can be, it’s just the other side of the coin. Keep going! (Thanks for liking my blogs.)

102. V.A. Farria says:

Hello Cristian,
    Thank you for a powerfully written post. Your intent is set and this is the season for creating what we want in our lives.
    Love, light, and blessings

103. Ann Sowards says:

Well, I hear you. We all go through dry periods when our Muse is more like a glob of Angst squatting on our shoulders, whispering disparaging things. I’ve always written, but only for my own entertainment. And that’s the important thing: if you are writing to tickle your own fancy, you’re having fun. And since we’re all human, someone else will find it fun, too. And if you want it, and you indulge in the fun, and you do it diligently ( no scrubbing the floor to put off the moment!) then other people will notice and you’ll get the level of notoriety you desire. Personally, I care more about the fun than the notoriety, being almost without ambition! But I love it when someone else gets a kick out of what I’ve written, or learned something, makes me feel tight with my human family! Thanks for checking my blog out! I look forward to watching your progress….you are a good writer already! Why do I feel like you’re my granddaughters age? Ha ha, it’s getting where everyone is younger than me!

104. vermontmama says:

I stumbled upon this post today, and I’m so glad I did. It’s been a hard day–a hard week–and on those hard days its tough to summon the will to keep doing things that seem daunting or even challenging, when in other moments I’d dive right in with conviction. But on the tough days, those are exactly the days when you either need to keep going, or just cut yourself some slack to re-evaluate but know you can pick back up at a later point.

But really, what was most touching to me about this post (and its comments) is how this feeling, which can be so isolating, is really a shared one, a shared experience for so many of us. Thanks for the post, for reminding me of that!

105. RoosterTree says:

You get it. Life cycles, sometimes hard enough to make you feel crazy, almost like it dares you to quit. But to quit is to betray yourself, and you can’t do that, b/c there’s another story to write.

106. Thanks. A very reaffirming piece.

107. justchanelle says:

I love the way you write.

108. lazydazyjlea says:

Liked your thoughts on never giving up—it is always our choice whether or not to take lemons and make lemonade. Lazydazymusing

109. Whao..true talk, “hard time comes and go”.what has keep me going is the joy of seeing people know the truth and walk in freedom. I believe our generation awaits us and we can’t give up on them now. Great write up. you rock!

110. Don’t worry Cristian, I have it on good authority your going to be just fine :)
    You wouldn’t be an artist if you didn’t have your struggles. Your not the only writer I know having ‘issues’ with getting stuff out but just keep that positive attitude and stay true to your gift and you’ll get your wish and more. This I ‘Know’ :P

111. thanks for this inspiring post. and thanks for not giving up!

112. colorik says:

Wanting to give it up and keeping on is part of it. As long as you keep going. You are right, the world owes us nothing. It is we who owe the world. Thank you for your truthfulness, keep chewing the glass.

113. I only want to say a quote by George Bernard Shaw- “Life is not about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself. ”

I am always inspired by this quote. keep up the good work.

114. cindyhluu says:

Keep on, keepin’ on! I like your insight, and you’re right, everything comes and goes.

115. Thank you for this post, I really needed to read this right now. And thank you for following me and Millie!

116. themofman says:

“Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. It owes you nothing. It was here first.”

–Mark Twain

Well expressed from top to bottom. You’ve analysed and came to grips with your problem all on your own. There’s nothing much left to say. Perhaps except this:

I liken the appreciation of writing, and the other arts, today as very different from when it certainly was before the Internet. In the mid-1900’s and further back, people celebrated good writers and their writings as though they were celebrities. They didn’t have TV, the World Wide Web and all of the popular things of today that globalize everything. The people of those past eras are responsible for making names like Kafka still count today as a standard of literary excellence. If Kafka and his contemporaries were around today, they’d still be profound writers but its only a minority that would care to realize it out of all of the modern noise that surrounds us. It would be much harder; not impossible, for them and their writings to achieve the same recognition that they have before the world jumped on the information Superhighway.

This affects all of the arts in the same way. E-globalization certainly has its benefits but it also has its drawbacks. That is, it forces us as creative thinkers and expressives to devise new ways of dealing with this omnipresent cloud of streaming info that keeps everybody sort of confused as to what to pay attention to at any given moment. This is certainly why we must not give up, as you have stated.

Keep at it. I may seem too quite or not around at all but please believe me, I’m still here waiting for your next move.

117. jeanr7 says:

Thank you for your very well written post, Cristian. I know what you mean by happiness being a state of mind. An exercise I try is to think of three things I am thankful for before going to sleep each night. I try not to make it the same things every night but a little repetition is okay. After a few days, l feel more content and positive. Good for getting me out of a slump, and freeing my mind allowing the words to flow again.

118. unredundant says:

I think it is hard to judge our own work. You certainly cannot do it by book sales and page views alone. Blogging for me is sometthing I do in my spare time, but I do it out of an urge to write and create. Some post you’ve written may stay buried in your archives to one day give help or encouragement to others. I blog daily. I am sure some posts are better than others, but the more content, the more likely some things will resonate with someone. I am not saying just post any old garbage. If you put some effort and thought into your writing, that’s all you need. You will grow as a writer over time. It takes time to gain recognition and an audience. I am sure there are undiscovered masterpieces all over the web. But if we as writers enjoy creating and we don’t give up, our audience will grow over time. I just keep writing knowing some enjoy reading what I write. That’s enough for me.

119. One of my guiding principles for writers: Quit all you want, but never give up. :)

120. Serenity says:

Please don’t ever give up on your dreams and what you love. You will be unhappy for the rest of your days if you do.
    Thank you for taking the time to check out The Serene View. I really appreciate it and I hope you enjoyed the stay Enjoy the rest of your week :)

121. belle says:

Like Serenity said…NEVER give up on your dreams & what makes you HAPPY! Hang in there and keep moving forward—-enjoyed your share! Hugs- Belle

122. Jeanette says:

I love it when people share their heart. It makes them more real. I loved reading your post.

123. This resonates strongly with “The Lean Startup” book. It attempts to answer this very question: when to persevere and when to pivot. I believe it’s a good read and could help you answer such question and develop new “products”. It also allows you to measure innovation to know what works and what doesn’t so you don’t be surprised when what you expected to work wonders just performed mediocrely.

124. Hi Cristian!
    I hope this helps as I have been that way all my life. All I can do is just go 1 direction to the other when things are going wrong. I just try different things & come back later where answers come to me at times as I work to make something of myself now. I was bad in my health & took it upon myself to keep going & be persistent in what I did. I had a teacher who saw it & wanted me to be a spokesperson & wasn’t ready for it then either. I got discouraged after that since I was always slow in thinking & knowing what to say at the moment when it happened. what I have done on my blog & having my woman to keep me inspired has started me up & got me to where I am today. Thanks for using my comments to inspire yourself also.
    Rodney