Strength

strength“You never know how strong you are… until being strong is the only choice you have.” – Cayla Mills

I’m going to tell you something no motivational speaker would ever dare tell you: genuine strength can’t be taught, learned, bought, borrowed, or understood. Genuine strength, defined as the ambition, courage, and stamina to do whatever you want to do most in this world comes from the realization that you are the only one who’s going to pay the price for success.

That is it.

You really don’t need someone to keep you motivated, someone to keep an eye on you so you don’t become lazy. There’s no point in doing something if you can’t do it by yourself, for yourself, because you can and want to.

I enjoy watching those motivational videos on Youtube, or reading about this or that person who reached a breaking point in their life. I like to read about struggles that makes us human. But it never really helped me achieve anything.

The truth is, you have to do this by yourself. The moment you can’t find any more excuses, the moment you can’t blame anyone else for your mistakes, that’s when you can either give up or try again. You can run and hide, or simply try to take over the world.

It’s really simple.

I write because that’s what I like doing, because that’s my way of leaving some sort of mark on this world, and because I feel I’m somewhat good at it. I also write because I’ve been doing it for over ten years now, and I don’t want to feel like I’ve wasted that much time on something that wasn’t worth it.

You can only climb to the top if you climb alone. The sooner you realize this, the better. Yes, some folks are going to help you on your way up or try to take you down. That’s inevitable. But you have to keep telling yourself that if you want it, you can have it, as long as you try harder and harder each time you fail.

We’re like Sisyphus and his boulder. That’s probably the best way to look at life: repetitive to the brink of madness, always one inch away from Heaven, always one second too late or too early.

Most people expect things to happen. That’s a mistake. Things rarely “just happen.” You have to make things happen.

Sadly, the only way you get to realize this is on your own terms. It might take a while, and even if you read these words and think I’m right, it’s still going to take you some time (or maybe forever) to realize what it’s really all about.

Because, you see, when you feel tired, that’s when you give up on doing whatever it is you like doing. You don’t want to fight the pain, the boredom, the routine. You’re not willing to give up sleep or food or a comfortable life to become who you’ve always thought you were meant to be.

The most I spent writing was 72 hours straight. And it wasn’t because of a deadline, but because I wanted to write something that I never even sold in any way. I didn’t make money of it, I didn’t share it with the world. I just wrote it, but it made me a better writer.

The only difference between people is related to how much they really want something, how much they’re willing to fight for what they want. Make no mistake, because everyone on this Planet wants something. Wishes for something. How we fight, how far we’re willing to go, how much of our comfort we can sacrifice in order to to get what we want most, that’s what separates us as human beings.

30 comments on “Strength

1. monimorphism says:

Very true and very well said.

2. HI Cristian, I like this post and it is so true. I am working on the my genuine strength. Chloe is too, WOOF!

3. FlaggedPenguin says:

Awesome Post.

4. Thank you for this article, I very much appreciate it.

5. mmkng says:

“it’s still going to take you some time (or maybe forever)”. And as time passes by, you have always the choice to look back and try to actually make things happen. It’s never late. I think there is only bad timing.

6. elmcal says:

Awesome post, Christian! I dealt with this truth today. The people one thinks would support you are the very ones who work against you in their pity. But great strength is shown when your support base dissolves into oblivion while you trudge on toward your (non-foolish) goal.

Thanks for the wise words. :)

7. katmicari says:

This was perfect timing for me, as I currently face another split path ahead in my life. I’ve been dithering on which is the “correct” way to go, feeling fear of making the wrong choice, or no choice, and I have to move beyond that. So, thank you!

8. Kalyn Y. says:

If you push yourself just a little further every time you think, “okay I’ve reached my limit, I can’t do this anymore,” then you’ll find a new “limit” right away. In that sense, a limit doesn’t really exist. The only thing that limits you is your mind.

Great article! :)

9. I love this quote and use it to describe how I pulled myself out of the worst time of my life.

10. Cristian, this is the most 100% awesome, true, extremely well written post or take on this subject. EVER!!!!!
    YOU ARE 100% RIGHT. But, like you said, each of us hopefully comes to this understanding in our own time. That NOTHING just HAPPENS. And that the commitment to make it happen NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES is what separates the men from the boys! or the girls from the women! Have a blessed day! :)

11. this post was very well written. I loved it! I am a beginner blogger and hope that one day I can write as fluently as this :)

12. Lewis Brooks says:

This is such a powerful post, very inspiring and true but also hard-hitting. It is so important to realise that the only one looking out for you is yourself. Thanks for writing this, it made a great end to my day!

13. As I read your post there one thing kept flowing out of what you were saying; in which I have heard stated over and over again in writing classes: write what you are the most passionate about and put it to paper for that passion will bloody the whole it will fill in the white spots to show you that you are passionate about it and yours is writing – so fan it or as I like to say let the blood flow!

14. tommyshaw says:

great post, youre an amazing writer!

15. I prefer not to test my strength, I might not like the outcome.

16. Absolutely true and well said.

17. aaanchalk says:

So true!! Very good write up

18. This is just what I needed to see today. Amazing post!

19. I really love that quote – I have seen it before and found that it really stayed with me.
    This post was very well written and motivating too!

20. carolynicole says:

I love this. It is all so true! I wrote something very similar to this post. I think you should give it a look!

21. Jess Webber says:

Great article. A good reminder to not give up writing when it’s what you really, really want to do!

22. ksabica says:

Hmm, interesting read and definitely true. Though I`m terribly curious as to what you churned out during the 72-hour writing period.

23. I needed that reminder. Thank you!

24. testcccd says:

Be strong is now my one of goals, incapability really hurt me once!

25. Awesome well written

26. Incredibly inspiring. I recognise a lot of this, but you say it very plainly and very well. I’ve made a lot of dramatic changes to my life this year to pursue my dreams to be a writer and a musician and you’re bang on the money- you’ve got to do it alone, no one else can do it for you or with you; and we are defined not by our dreams but how much we are prepared to sacrifice to pursue them