Believe

believe“To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”Anatole France

I often say that art is a matter of faith. That you have to believe in what you’re doing. You have to believe in the world you’re creating, in yourself, in your capabilities. Leave no room for doubt, petty frustrations, or insecurities.

I also say that it’s all just a matter of hard work. But sometimes you hit a wall. You’ve run out of things to say. You feel void of motivation, inspiration, or courage. What once brought you great pleasure, it’s now a tedious task.

Yes. We need to act upon our dreams, but we must never forget to dream. To hope. To aspire. To believe.

It’s become increasingly difficult to write. Anything. I’d much rather spend my time sleeping or aimlessly wandering around town. I’d spend hours inside my head, remembering things that I’ve been trying to forget for some time now. I’d fall asleep, my heart filled with the sense of missing someone I never even met. My soul wishing for something extraordinary to happen.

I wanted to fast forward things… a year, two perhaps. But all I was doing was to wait.

I had hit a wall. I had stopped believing in my own dream. I had stopped dreaming altogether about all the great things that I set out to do.

It’s been a complicated year for me. Lots of heartache, lots of unnecessary drama. I got hurt by those whom I never thought capable of hurting me. And I hurt them in return. I lost people, and there was nothing I could do about it. I lost my way. I lost my ambition, my desire to fight. I just wanted for things to be good again. For life to be okay. At least okay.

But it doesn’t really work like that, does it?

You have to go out there and create the life you want. Whether it’s just okay or extraordinary, you’re the master of your destiny.

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And works in progress. And lots and lots of bitterness that you don’t want to let go of. And a bunch of unread e-mails. And bills to pay, and friends to talk to every once in a while.

And it wasn’t until recently that I realized that, just as John F. Kennedy once said, the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. To practice what you preach. To do what you know in your heart of hearts to be right. To always speak the truth, even if your voice shakes. And to never stop asking yourself who is it that you want to be.

Who am I going to be if I stop writing? Who am I going to be if I stop trying to change the world, one sentence at a time? Who am I going to be if all I do is write? If my words are not accompanied by actions.

Where am I going to go if I do not see the good in people and act as if that’s the only thing I see?

What’s going to happen if I do not see that we’re all equal? Different, but equal. That we all have greatness and magic inside of us.

What’s going to happen if I get so caught up in the mind numbing routine of my day to day life that I don’t even get a chance to ask myself these simple questions?

21 comments on “Believe

1. Robin Heim says:

Yes, as writer’s we all hit walls. Big walls brought on by living. Living. It’s messy and, yet, it’s wonderful. And somewhere in between is what needs to be written about, my friend. It most definitely needs to be written. Blessings!

2. fotinimakri says:

I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.

Robert Fulghum

3. swo8 says:

Anatole France was quite the sage. When you consider your art, such as writing, you may never live to see it succeed. Some are fortunate and do see it, others are leaving a great gift to the future. Nevertheless, don’t let that stop you. You have something to offer to the world and the world really needs that, especially now.
    Leslie

4. Great post. I can relate. I’m a creative person and I always wanted to be a writer or an artist and did marketing because I was worried about being financially stable. But, since it’s part time now I’m trying to find my way as a writer/artist of sorts.

5. Terrific article!!! So inspirational!

6. josereyesjr says:

Yes!!! Until we believe in our dream, we can’t communicate it with passion.

7. julieallyn says:

Nicely done. When I was younger, my life seemed hopeless. I was unhappy, unrooted, friendless and drifting. If not for my son, well – you know.

Anyway, when I went for my daily walks I tried to keep in mind that it’s always one foot in front of the other. Keep at it!

Great post. Oh, and I love the image of the woman by the window. Did you do that? It’s stunning.

8. Great ponderings. Never get so caught up in the doldrums of everyday that your passion gets squished!

9. Wayne Dyer is a writer I often turn to for inspiration, hope or just getting a fresh perspective. He has a great quote that came to mind when I read your post. “You aren’t what you do. If you are what you do, then when you don’t…you aren’t. You are a human being, not a human doing.” You might find inspiration in some of his writing..

10. josereyesjr says:

Yes!!! As someone whose rekindling the writing passion, it’s what I believe that inspires me to continue.

11. Harvey Gable says:

“The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.”
    ― David Foster Wallace, This Is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, about Living a Compassionate Life

12. Cristian, getting out of bed every day (or indeed most days), being present and conscious is the worthy work of living. It’s enough. To go beyond that and to connect with a single human heart or mind is to accomplish great things.

13. Petalsuman says:

Agree believe is must .

14. Veronika L. says:

Please don’t give up! I look forward to so much of what you got to say every time you write a post. It is very much inspirational! Life is never easy. And although so many times I wish it was, like you do, and so does everyone else, but how will we understand and appreciate our accomplishments if we did not put the work in to earn it? I wish only the greatest things to happen to you in your life! And sometime when you will stop waiting, amazing things will happen. Things that you could not even possibly imagined to happen. At least that is what happens to me every time I become “busy” and work hard at something else. New and greater things come along which really are blessings as I call them. It’s a big world and we need plenty of people to practice what they preach. Myself included!

-Blessing you with all the greatest success and accomplishments from your hard work.

15. tt4r says:

Why is there struggle, resistance, separation? Can we not be in believing and expressing? I think we are often an isolated part, isolated from our whole. Especially when we try to determine this or that, we identify with our self and experience rather than the reality they represent.

16. auntynini says:

The grist of life is a necessary ingredient for the eventual spark of inspiration that then leads to the passion and motivation required for a creative expression to birth on paper.

Every moment of your life matters, even if in the moment, you cannot see it. Writing is like the seasons. Feel deep gratitude for the empty spaces between and your life as a writer will be sweeter.

17. Beautifully expressed. Oh, how I understand! It’s definitely a journey isn’t it? Never a destination… Full of ups and downs. Glad you’re re-embracing your art & dreams. But do remember that sometimes the well does run dry and you must wander through town, rest and be aimless in order to give the well a chance to refill. As artists we must be self-aware but never too hard on ourselves. Best.

18. I very much enjoyed this piece, the honesty and the vulnerability and most especially the open ended question posed at the end. Thank you. Best of wishes to you on your journey back to wholeness.

19. eastokkebye says:

All power to you! Stay the course, and you will get there.

20. writertales says:

When I’m feeling depressed, turning to my writing is what pulls me up and out again. I love writing stories for children, but in that state of mind, my writing is for me. Never stop writing.