Bravery

bravery“We are not defined by our trials, but by how we face them. We are all afraid; bravery is a choice, that though you may lose, you shall never be defeated.”Jill Anzinger

In the face of adversity, how we react is what really defines us. Our actions are one of the few things we’d call a legacy; what we leave behind. Our actions can inspire, can help others achieve their own dreams… our own actions can shape this world according to our dreams.

We have to realize that we only get what we demand through actions. We admire those who passionately fight for their dreams, we aspire to become like them.

We all want something. Each and everyone of us has lost something. We all have a war to fight. Sometimes it’s difficult to acknowledge this, to admit it out loud. There are others out there, just like you or entirely different, who might want the same thing you want, and how you act will determine whether or not you get what you want.

How you act matters more than luck or fate or whatever you believe in.

I have failed time and time again. In all aspects of life. Did this make me stronger? Or better? Perhaps. But all these failures have taught me an invaluable lesson: that fear can be defeated. Never killed, but defeated. You can conquer all your fears if you focus on your actions, on whatever it is that you feel must be done in order to accomplish something.

Yes, sometimes it’s as easy as sitting down at a desk and writing some words on a computer, while other times is as heartbreakingly difficult as telling someone how you feel. Fear of rejection, fear of change, of failure, of success, of injury, death… our freedom is always limited by what we believe to be the consequences of our actions.

What is going to happen if I do this or that? How will this affect the world around me? Or the world a hundred years after me?

We might not ask these questions on a daily basis, but we all ask them. The acceleration of our heartbeat that we feel whenever we’re afraid, that’s as universal and deeply embedded in our brains as any other reflex.

And we can only conquer that feeling by sheer power of will. There’s no other way. I had to realize that no one would ever be kind enough to do my writing for me. I knew that there are no magical fairies to edit first drafts, let alone publish them on Amazon.

I knew that I had to sit down every day and make something up, because that was what I wanted to do with my life. And I knew it was going to be difficult, I knew that I would face starvation, isolation, and, possibly, rejection. But I also knew that if I won this battle I’d be as happy as I could ever be.

That is the conscious decision: that no matter the consequences, no matter how many times you fall, you shall rise again and again.

As long as you believe, as long as you have courage, nothing is truly lost. Fear never lasts forever, pain always subsides. But if the determination to pursue a certain path no matter the outcome goes, all goes with it. If courage goes, nothing remains.

22 comments on “Bravery

1. ahuelon says:

Great writing, insight.

2. seeingdeep1 says:

Amen – very true. Scary times we live in, but God is able to strengthen our feeble knees.

3. allysunshine says:

Thank you Christian. “Bravery” just might help me get out of bed.

4. Agreed, every day I muster up the courage to move forward and not be afraid of pursuing my dream of becoming a concert pianist, even though it’s been over 2 decades and I’m not there yet…I’m closer than I was yesterday.

5. jasonlepard says:

Amen love it need that

6. Daedalus Lex says:

Interesting. Brings back to pondering two attitudes about courage from the 18th century:

When Boswell asked Dr. Samuel Johnson which was the greatest virtue, Johnson replied: “Courage is reckoned the greatest of all virtues; because, unless a man has that virtue, he has no security for preserving any other.”

To Johnson’s contemporary, Henry Fielding, however, courage was a secondary virtue, and if it were not seated upon a wholesome primary virtue, like generosity of spirit, it may “merely render the possessor capable of doing greater mischiefs.”

7. Thank you for your honesty, and your drive to live with conviction. I hope to follow … xxoo

8. pfworld2014 says:

True

9. sallyann82 says:

“Our freedom is always limited by what we believe to be the consequences of our actions.” I loved that line. Something to really ponder.

10. Robert Gore says:

Only the brave can find true joy.

11. nkay96 says:

Great post! Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes by Sartre: “Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does”. We’re given free will so we must take our own action to achieve our goals

12. athling2001 says:

So true. Thank you for your wise words.

13. Cath says:

Lovely words. Courage is hard to locate but it’s always worth it when you find it.

14. “Fear never lasts forever, pain always subsides.” unless of course you use fear as fuel and pain as motivation… like Batman?

15. Amy says:

Powerful insight. Beautifully articulated. Thank you for this inspiration.

16. saraverboom says:

I love your message! “As long as you believe, as long as you have courage, nothing is truly lost.” Very wisely spoken!

17. Mary Denise says:

This is an important matter that everyone should come in terms with, or at least acknowledge from time to time. We all have our battles to fight, all our obstacles to overcome. What you wrote is spot on. Courage is what we need, and courage is something hard to come by these days.

18. zhafiraiha says:

I always believe that being brave is not about being fearless. It’s more about being able to stand up against what you fear to prove your worth. Great writing, courage and bravery is always what I love talking about. I despise it when I have to stand frozen in fear. I hate being afraid. I find it satisfying everytime I can stand up against what I fear. Thank you.

19. ladyliterati says:

Inspiring! Excellent writing skills!

20. As the old saying goes, “no guts, no glory”