Failure

failure“It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.”J.K. Rowling

Ever felt like a failure? Odds are that you did. Maybe you still do. I know I did. I know there were days when I didn’t want to wake up, I didn’t want to confront reality, to fight for what I wanted.

I used to spend a lot of time imagining the future, I used to do everything I could to avoid doing what has always been most important to me: writing.

Because I was afraid I’d fail. I was afraid that things would never be as beautiful as they were inside my head. I was afraid of rejection, I was afraid that the day will come when I will know for sure that I’ll never be who I always dreamed of being. That I’ll never be who I’ve always wanted to be.

And so time passed. Nothing much happened.

But then I decided to fight. I decided that I did want the struggle. I did want to fail, over and over again. And I did want to pick myself up every time I did so.

I knew that I had to make things happen. I had to write, I had to blog, I had to do my best.

Two and a half years later, there are still morning when I don’t want to wake up. There are still responsibilities that I’d rather not face. There’s still a shadow of doubt whether or not I’m doing the right thing. I think about quitting, about trying something else.

But guess what?

I always remind myself that it’s not supposed to be easy. That I would never appreciate it if it were so. That’s what keeps me going. Where others have failed, I want to succeed. I want to hold on, always finding one more reason to do so. I try one more time. One more day… one more week… one more month.

We think about bravery as this noble virtue, where someone is supposed to keep their heads high and not let anything affect them. Someone who fly when we seem to be walking. It’s not like that. It’s like crawling. You don’t feel strong, you never do. But you just don’t want to give up.

You fight through fear and pain and doubts, you fight with yourself and everyone around you. And you keep going. No matter what.

You will fail. I will fail. Time and time again. We all stumble from one failure to the other, and at times we do lose enthusiasm, we do lose hope. But we need to develop the habit of seeing lessons in each and every failure. We need to learn from them as much as we can.

And try one more time.

“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” Samuel Beckett

26 comments on “Failure

1. Robert Gore says:

The only people who never fail are the people who never try.

2. swo8 says:

My classic saying is “those who do nothing never make a mistake” . Of course they would never fail either. But as you or J.K. Rowling says, they would fail by default.
    Leslie

3. beachgirl26 says:

Great post! Very motivating to me as I’m currently going through a similar thing.

4. Venom says:

Now I want to try. . . and fail! And try again and try other things until I find my thing and I do it right!

5. chellem90 says:

Brilliant post!, if things were easy everybody would do them and its always the things that don’t come easy that mean the most!

6. simon7banks says:

“If a thing’s worth doing, it’s worth doing badly.” (Oscar Wilde). True of most things, but not, say, of building a space shuttle or leading an Antarctic expedition.

7. maryam191 says:

True that! It takes courageous souls to take steps towards failure. Weak never try!

8. If u ever want someone to talk to, i’m here x STAY STRONG!

9. ninjaitis says:

Wow this is awesome. I have the same problem. Now that my first draft is completely finished, it’s hard to motivate myself to edit it because I feel as though I didn’t tell the story in the best possible way or I made lots of mistakes that I still don’t know how to fix. But without trying, we can’t learn how to fail and try again. Lately I have been trying to get myself back to editing, and this really gave me the extra push I needed!

10. Thank you very much for a great post.
    Dwelling on our failures can be depressing, but not if we see them as an account of the number of times we’ve tried.
    Trying takes effort, effort expended in the pursuit of improvement.
    If today’s culture fostered more acclaim for those that try and fail, perhaps more would try, and the world would improve.
    Thus we could combat the sick obsession with success that the world has and the culture of defeatism that it has engendered.
    Also, thanks for providing the kernel for today’s post!

11. This is so true! And it sums up pretty much perfectly how I feel right now. It has definitely motivated me! :)

12. mando19 says:

Amazing words dear.

13. Ah, but how beautiful it is to be creating something so meaningful that the process of failing only feeds your personal growth and persistence! Keep on keeping on :-)

14. whimsywilma says:

Thank you, very inspiring words dear soul. Most mornings I don’t want to get up but I know I have to because no one else can live my life for me and pay my bills for me … the last few weeks I had given up on blogging because well, I have been feeling like a failure but you are right – just need to persist especially if writing is a passion. :-) Wonderful work, keep it up :-)

15. sannupensdown says:

Feelings and thoughts are very nicely put across… very straight forward. That’s what I liked about this post :)

16. brenkmanr654 says:

If you have never tried, then you have already failed.

17. Devin Doyle says:

I’m a strong believer in taking calculated risks in life. “Walking by Faith” you could say. Nice words.

18. motivational writing..

19. Hmm. I like this post. We need to find a way to accept our failures and keep going anyway. Thanks :)

20. I’ll admit previously perceiving myself as a failure but have learned to discard such a perception.

21. Erica Winegar says:

Thanks for sharing such an awesome post. It’s so encouraging to hear from others who are going through the same experience. Cheers from your fellow writer!

22. naddieh says: