Life’s a gamble

gambleI’ve always thought that people are never entirely bad or good, and never inherently so. I’ve always believed that people want only one thing: to be happy. And they set out into this world with this goal in mind, doing their best to acquire that which they need in order to be happy.

But happiness is not a destination to arrive at. Ultimately, there are no happy endings in life.

And sometimes life’s a gamble.

My definition of a gamble is the following: you risk of losing something you need or care about for the promise of gaining more of what you already have or something you don’t have but need.

In other words, you have to be willing to lose in order to win.

Like I said, we all do our best. Some play by the rules, and some don’t. Some try to find shortcuts, some just want to play it safe.

I’d really like to tell you all that being an artist is easy, that it is enough to just want to become one, but I just can’t do such a thing.

When I started writing in my early teens, I was doing so because I had everything provided for by my parents. It was easy to do what I wanted, and the interesting part (and I’m truly grateful for that) is that my parents let me make my own mind about stuff ever since I was twelve.

Of course, I made mistakes. But that’s what life’s all about. Making mistakes, trying too hard or not hard enough, meeting, helping, and falling in love with the wrong people.

It’s all just trial and error.

Like I was saying, I could afford to think of myself as being a writer, because I wasn’t risking anything. But when I decided to make this my job, to become a professional writer (or self-publisher), I had to take a lot of risks.

Some of you know this, some don’t, but I don’t have any other source of income. I just write and sell books. And I blog.

And you know why I did this, and why I decided to keep writing (and never give up, no matter what) ?

Because writing is the one thing I like doing most in this world. And that’s the most important thing. Because writing makes me happy. I find happiness in the stories I write, I find happiness by knowing that my writing will affect others, that my writing will change things.

And if I fail?

Well, I will fail by doing something I love, which I think is the most important thing you can do in this life. I’m not saying that doing what you love most in the world is enough, that you don’t have to strive to be better, that you don’t have to fight and bleed.

You will struggle. You will fail. You will have regrets.

But that’s one fight you’ll never regret losing. Never. Because if you’re passionate about whatever it is that you do, you’ll derive a lot of pleasure out of it, without even carrying that much about money, success, or recognition.

That’s what makes writers unique. The vast majority of them don’t write for fame, glory, or money. They just write because that’s the one thing that makes them truly happy.

Some might see this as the most accessible form of happiness: you sit down at your desk, and voila!, you’re happy.

Maybe they’re right. Maybe not.

I do know one thing though: when you want what you want, and more people also want it, there are always risks. And you’ve got to fight against certain odds, but it’s worth remembering that, no matter the odds, you should always fight for what you want most, because that’s the only fight you’ll never regret losing.

***

I’d like to thank Chan, Kathleen, and Matthew for their recent contribution to my campaign. With eleven days to go, we’re currently just $410 from reaching the goal.

If you’d like to support this crazy, stupid Romanian blogger/writer, you can contribute any amount you see fit here.

16 comments on “Life’s a gamble

1. iknowalex says:

Catharsis trough letters

2. If writers wanted to earn money, well, then we wouldn’t be writers, would we? :) At least, I wouldn’t be.

Lovely post!

3. adamjasonp says:

“…you have to be willing to lose in order to win.” I thought this was supposed to be “willing to risk losing…” But then, I thought, You die by the sword (or art, as it may be) you choose. It started to sound right.

4. talesbytink says:

Maybe all writers want to write because it makes them happy. But I don’t think that means we want the same thing – we want to write the stories that make us happy, and all of our stories are different. So are we really competing against each other? I think we are more compadres with a similar goal… Good on you though for acknowledging the help of your parents. And for persisting when the easy times were over. Good luck with reaching your goal.

5. oralokan says:

Hemingway once said, “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”

It’s sad to see so many fixate solely on the end, in a hurry to get there, while each day that passes by is lost forever. I wonder whether that which is sought brings happiness if ever attained, or merely emptiness?

Congratulations on finding a way to make your days count! I hope you always get to do what you like and someday look back on a life well spent!

6. mutiinsani says:

and we are all gamblers ..

7. CJGrace says:

You are very inspiring with your writings. I see you as a success, because you give people like me motivation! You have succeeded! Keep writing for as long as you live, because I believe you touch many, for you have touched me! Thank You!

8. Life’s a gamble. Beautifully expressed!

9. akala2014 says:

I wish the best for you Cristian and much, much happiness.

10. “Life’s a gamble”

Really?

If we compare that to the basic needs of the human mind and physics, note the following: we never argue or gamble about water; we know it is tied to life, regardless the gender and race, even religion.

Now, life is not supposed to be a gamble, is it? If it is in your area, what are you doing to better the situation for the organism that is us? If life`s a gamble, and if gambling takes the life and thrill of us, then.. we need to stop gambling, don`t we? And gambling can stop as it is not in the same category as water.
    As with poverty, gambling is man-made. It is thought. Water is someting of thought, it comes out of reality.

Here David Bowie would have asked; “where are we now?”

11. “We’re invisible alive, we’re the whispers in the scream”, are words written by South African rock star Arno Carstens

I’ve always felt that these very words describe an artist or perhaps a group of artists that don’t need to be seen to feel seen, to feel alive.
    Self validation is very important.

12. Well spoken! And why do I write? For the pure adventure of writing and with the hope that others might be entertained by it. Write on, my friend, write on.

13. We do this to share the human experience, to learn more about ourselves…even if we find parts unclean and ugly. It makes the reader feel a little more normal and a little less alone. There is happiness in that relationship.
    Well written!

14. Well said. But then, you’re a writer. :)

15. J.S says:

It is true that a writer writes because that is the one thing in the world which he/she is passionate about and can never get tired of!