Searching for inspiration

inspirationWhen I tell people I’m a writer most of them want to know where I get my inspiration from. It seems like such a silly thing to ask. But the thing is that oftentimes I can’t even give them a satisfactory answer, mostly because the best answer would go like this, “Everywhere.”

I don’t go out looking for inspiration. I don’t do this or that thing because I want to have something to write about. This may become a sort of reflex, when you live your life in order to transform it into art, but I don’t think we should purposefully search for ideas.

Every once in a while, you feel like taking a break. You want to stop writing and travel a bit. Or just have some fun. Or try something new; do something you’ve always wanted to do but never had the courage or time or money.

Inspiration can be found anywhere. You don’t even need to be searching for it. Inspiration finds you, not the other way around. It’s not even about paying attention.

I believe that artists are easily influenced by their surrounding environments. They have a sort of… sixth sense, with which they can observe and oftentimes accurately describe what their eyes see, what their ears hear, what their noses smell. They see things not for what they are, but for what they’d hope them to be, for what they imagine them to be.

The add, change, remove, embellish, and generally alter real elements until they become fantastic.

Simply put, artists are the world’s best liars.

So it’s not about where or how or at what hour of the day (or night) to find inspiration, but more about what to do with it. If you’re brave enough, you can write about anything. Or try to write about everything. There are no boring subjects, just boring artists.

An artist sees the world, absorbs as much as he can, and then he just does his best to show the world what he saw. The vision, the originality, all that doesn’t depend so much on what enters his brain, but rather what comes out of it.

37 comments on “Searching for inspiration

1. Britta says:

I love this! So we said and I agree wholeheartedly. :)

2. olyjc says:

This piece, in and of itself, is inspiring! 😉

3. I agree. An artist filters the world through his brain and expresses it through his art.

4. It’s funny people ask me the same question and I can’t really answer them. Agree artists are great liars but Artists lie in order to tell the truth.

5. You are right about inspirations being found anywhere. I’ve found inspirations at train stations, train bridges at a river front, the river front, stories through the stories outlet and etc. Can’t minimize yourself and let your mind free flow.

6. Landy says:

If its in you, then it’s in you.You are the inspiration. Your experience and those of others inspire you

7. fatiha says:

“Inspiration finds you, not the other way around. It’s not even about paying attention” very true. Great post by the way.

8. Yoshiko says:

Agree :) Inspirations are everywhere. It is an out of box experience

9. Jody says:

“If you’re brave enough, you can write about anything. Or try to write about everything. There are no boring subjects, just boring artists.” This is really, really good.

10. elizabeth stokkebye says:

I think artists reflect more and ask more questions. It’s like their mind never sleeps (even at night dreams will haunt them). So, when you say, we need a break to travel or simply to have fun, I know what you mean! Happy New Year!

11. EpsitaEpsita says:

This piece of writing itself is inspiring. Very well said! I see inspiration everywhere and in all subjects that God has created :)

12. lenasclove says:

Thank you so much for sharing! When writing fiction sometimes I so often feel the characters are speaking to me, or through me, or something. I don’t ask them what they want to do next, they tell me before I have a chance to pose the question. Much gratitude for your post!

13. I have been journeying glad to be back. Glad to see you are still here. Check out my son’s blog at http://www.ecleclecticeccentric.net

14. Bud Summers says:

Great post. As a songwriter, I believe that I am finding the stories that could have been..

15. This is great and right where I have been at today!! Thanks for sharing

16. sethstephens52 says:

Well written and true! You reminded me of the saying, “writing is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.” A lot of people have great ideas that never amount to anything because they don’t put in the work. Writers take inspiration and then put the work in to make something special.

17. Mandy Moran says:

This is so incredibly true and strangly enough i had this very conversation this evening with a guy at a friends party. He said naively “you must have a very interesting life”
    “obviously i dont” i replied “i just feel and see everything deeply”
    Great blog, brillant explanation. :)

18. jackiebzah says:

I love this post. Especially since I am letting everything filter in right now to be able to start a new novel in January. Great job!

19. ornenog says:

Amazing! Reminds me very much of Writing Down The Bones

20. Beautiful, and your last line is a real keeper. Happy New Year! :)

21. Someone told me today that to be a writer, you have to be creative. I never considered myself creative. I embarked on a journey I wanted to share with others, and my soul opened. Stuff started pouring out. I didn’t have a choice really. It just happened. I attribute my writing to my newfound connection with myself. That’s all it is.

22. arynnoelle says:

I seriously needed this tonight. Thank you for the awesome and inspiring post, as always!!!

23. Yes. There is always a story to tell, even if it isn’t your story. But it is out there.

24. This is awesome, and very very true! Best of luck on your work :)

25. fallcorn1936 says:

Some days I look at a blank screen, other days, I can’t get the words out fast enough. I know your feelings…

26. Yu/stan/kema says:

This was a good post. I liked it.
    Yu/stan/kema

27. Vaani Shiva says:

And this article of yours ,has inspired me!! ;-)

28. Love this!!! Superb, and there is much truth in it!

29. Bowrag says:

I am like you, I just live. I find myself thinking constantly about situations that happen to me and need to write them down! Great blog here.

30. Wonderful, as usual. This is an inspiration as I look forward to the New Year and what projects I want to tackle. I design handmade jewelry, write several blogs and sew, knit, crochet, embroider, tat…anything handmade is my joy. I have found your posts always invigorating and exceptionally well written. I hope the New Year brings you continued success.

31. I noticed the struggles of bloggers financially in a previous blog, so spent some time researching this. It has always been a challenge for artists to earn money. However there are very high paid bloggers in the world, I know slit of them are techno geek’s buy there are a few still doing what the love writing and earning. Your views?

32. sfedge says:

I like the angle you’ve taken, it parallels a metaphor I use about needing to build up ‘creative energy’ or tension – psychologists call it endocepts which don’t necessarily reflect the reality but are founded in reality – real feelings create fictions.