The first of January

snowEach year, on the first of January, we look back on the year that has passed and try to see the good, the bad, to figure out how to make things better. We try to learn form the past, and probably, we also spend a lot of time imagining a better future.

We have 365 days to change what needs changing, to become better, smarter, happier. Our hearts filled up with renewed hope and dreams and expectations, we make plans and lists.

We start pursuing other things. The ones we don’t have, the ones we need. Some see this as a flaw; we never seem to appreciate what we already have. I see this as our most impressive quality.

I made a list of things I want to do in 2015. But I’m also aware that each day is a new beginning, that each day I can choose to be who I want to be, do the things I want to do, and fight the battles I want to fight.

Living in the present, being aware that every second that passes is a second we never get back, is just as important as making lists and plans. Maybe that’s something we should never forget. That our dreams don’t suddenly come true… that our dreams don’t only exist in a distant future.

Our dreams also exist in the here and now and what we choose to do with our time and energy. Small steps… not big leaps, that’s what we should be aiming for. It’s easier, it might also feel like standing still, but every step, no matter how small, can only get us closer to our destination. Even if at times, because of us or the world around us, we might have to go in the opposite direction.

Other times, we lose our way. This happens to the very best of us. We don’t know what we want anymore, what’s important, what’s good.

Maybe that’s why making lists and plans, setting objectives and goals, is a good thing. Because that way we don’t lose track of what we really want most.

If wish you to keep that in mind. Everything you do, do it with your destination in mind. If you do that, even if you somehow find yourself a million miles away from your destination, you’ll still find your way.

26 comments on “The first of January

1. Some people like making resolutions and others just make changes as they go on. My wife and I are not really people that make list of resolutions, but will make list of what we plan on doing better and hope to pursue in the new year. Each day is a new day and can possibly be a new start and new road for your destination. Time will tell how this year will go and what we accomplish.

2. Ritu says:

Me n resolutions don’t quite mix, but usually if I set my mind to something, whenever during the year, I somehow manage it..!

3. Yu/stan/kema says:

I like this post too.
    Yu/stan/kema

4. We’re the same. Even though I do not have the full confidence to follow the plans and goals I want to achieve, I still write it down because that’s what makes it fun–the challenge of pursuing those. The challenge of making those a reality. Moreover, it keeps you on track. Sometimes, in order not to be lost, there are certain rules you have created for yourself to follow. Such a good read.

5. joaynn510 says:

I loved this! Very well-said. Thank you for sharing. Blessings :-)

6. I hope I can commit to my resolution: Stop smoking weed for a year

7. blondevampire says:

This is what Daddy had me do.. Which i found someore to add to my list. But i think its important

8. KPB says:

Great insight! Thanks for this post.

9. Michelle says:

I love what you have to say,Cristian. Living in this moment, because it is truly all we have, is something I strive to do everyday, with some success, sometimes not. Yes, we do have to make plans towards the goals we want to achieve but once made, I believe we need to let go of them, and live each day, taking the small steps you mention. I just wrote my list of goals for the year, I hate the word resolutions, and I will put it on the refrigerator where I will occasionally notice it, be reminded of my purpose, and keep doing what I can each day to get there. I wish you a lovely year of small steps leading to your greater purpose :)

10. Very enjoyable read. I always appreciate good new year’s blogs that don’t focus on resolutions :)

11. elizabethweaver says:

Gorgeous photo and thank you for your post…thoughtful, kind…blessings in through the new year.

12. Miss Renee says:

You’ve read my mind . Nicely said ! :D have a better 2015 !

13. I also made resolutions this year so that I can help better myself and to become the person that I’ve always wanted to be. Not only that but ao that I can learn to he comfortable with who I am and express that with confidence. But i love this post it really made me think a lot good job and please keep blogging!

14. Wonderful! New Year is my favorite “holiday”. A time for new choices, new friendships and new ideas for the future. In my case I am looking forward to this new year with great hopes. Yes, most importantly, to live in the now. To enjoy this day, this moment. Last year was a difficult one for my husband and I, fraught with illness with unknown origins. This year is starting for me with a great joy. Most of my children will be here this Saturday! Since we all live quite far apart from one another this is a joy we don’t have very often. I will consider this a good omen for the new year. I am one who loves to make lists, notes, journals…anything on paper written in longhand. I will make a list of new things to do rather than old things to quit doing. I enjoy your posts very much! Keep up the good work.

15. lululove88 says:

🎊🎉💛HAPPY NEW YEAR🎊🎉💛
    Great Post!

16. DIY April says:

Living in the moment is key. Sometimes I have to remind myself. Thank you for the thoughtful post.

17. Mice Valenti says:

Happy New Year! Have a wonderful 2015. :)

18. atruebornwriter says:

This is absolutely true.

I tend to use every year to change things that need to be changed in my life. I of course always think ahead, but I also think what steps do I need to make myself successful to get there. If all else fails, what steps can I take to fix it. A new day is a new experience and another chance to make a step.

Nicely said!

19. As always, your blogs are very enjoyable to read. You hit every writer’s spot. Everything well said. Happy New Year!

20. Kevin says:

What a very thought-provoking post, and much more optimistic to me than the traditional view of making large, drastic resolutions at New Year. Thank you for the insight!

21. sabrina1219 says:

Living in the moment definitely made me “resolution” list for this year. I enjoyed your post (:

22. I looked at the year 2014 in sorry leaving me because it has been such a good year. Tough, I was afraid of it for most part of it. I have the feeling that I would have been much farther should I have taken its energy. I keep regretting things when looking back. I understand things and like them only I leave them and come back to them. My wish for this year is to understand the power of the moment at once and go with it.

23. hallothere! says:

Thanks for sharing..so inspiring

24. ThePlexusMan-Chris O'Gwynn says:

Love this post!! Great pic. Happy 2015!!

25. rjreitinger says:

I sense in some of the paragraphs a longing for some magic in human existence, and we all know that much of the Homo sapien magic is denied, ignored, or covered up. If not, we can always refer to our lists, especially the phone numbers, url’s, and blogs, eh?