People always leave

tumblr_static_a47ee9r7er4s8w8s4oc88w400The truth of the matter is that people always leave. Whether we want it or not. Whether they want it or not. Something happens and they are lost to us forever.

And then what remains is their memory. The image we have created inside our heads. A grey skin covers what we felt for them and can no longer feel.

To paraphrase John Green, you can never love someone as much as you can miss them. It is true. And there’s nothing more unbearable than the realization that you can hope all you want for someone to come back and they will never come back, because they never really existed.

Such an odd things happens: people tell us who they are, yet we pretend we don’t see it because we want them to be who we want them to be.

But don’t worry, because time heals everything. Whether you want it or not. The longest distance between people is time, for it blurs that picture we have. It fades everything away.

But something always remains. The Portuguese call it “saudade.” The love that remains. Nostalgia. The love that no amount of poison can ever kill. The love that eventually alters itself to become what is left when nothing can be done anymore. The bitter sweet feeling that engulfs memories.

And we carry people around like this. Inside our heads. And we go on with our lives. Whether we want it or not.

And, in a way, they never leave. But they never return to us either.

This entry was posted in Blog.

27 comments on “People always leave

1. That was very beautiful.
    If something similar was on a plaque I might hang it in my home.

2. mcarol28 says:

That’s a hurting truth, but also it’s beautiful somehow.
    Keep writing!

3. I don’t know if people always leave unless this speaks to our mortality and hence the eventual demise of all relations. I find there is a deeper problem that lurks in your precious note which concerns what it means to say that someone is known to us. For me the fundamental issue is identity which begins first with knowing oneself through our engagement with others in the world.

4. lifemeant says:

I very much enjoyed this. Also, I have been trying to think of that Portuguese word for months. Thank You!!!!

5. rumadak says:

Amazing words!! Can relate to everything you have written!!

6. Tears of joy and tears of sadness when I read your blog post…I loved it.

7. hippiegeek42 says:

“… time heals everything. Whether you want it or not.” I feel like moving on after losing someone is the scariest part, when you can think about them without being overcome with emotion or crying. I guess it’s because by that time, you have truly lost them, not just physically but also because that emotional attachment has become severed as well. You will always miss them but that desperate need to be in their presence is gone.

8. alexcellent says:

So beautifully expressed. Thank you.

9. instaphd says:

If they never leave, need they return? Better to stay in trapped in the amber of memory.

10. Sad but true…. unless you “leave” too. Then you can be with them forever, but never again at the same time…

11. I love this post :-). It’s sad, happy and hopeful all at the same time

12. zee28 says:

Wow. I’m stunned. Thank you for saying exactly what I have just been feeling inside my head but couldn’t get the words out as eloquently as you have.

I wrote a letter today and posted it on my blog, but you sir have hit the nail on the head. Amazing writing. :)

13. rijzzz says:

This is what I call, “Observing life from heart and mind”. Thanks for such a wonderful blog.

14. Love this post, yeah people always leave, but they also come. It’s an endless circle, just like a lots of other things in life.

15. AtomicPeach says:

Of course I had to read this text now. I’m experiencing first hand the feelings you wrote about in this article. And that “saudade” hurts like hell. Oh, well, hope that time will start doing it’s damned job faster.

16. maryam191 says:

People leave. Yes, they do. What’s good at the end is to discover the realisation of how much their presence is missed. It helps one discover the deep marks people leave on us.

17. Aly says:

Beautiful & true.

18. lorirensink says:

Saudade is one of my favorite words. For about a year I struggled to describe this feeling I was having, a disconnect between what I had lost and where I wanted to be. It is that restless feeling we get when we are lost in memories of what could have been and dreams of what we hope will be. All the while we forget to enjoy what we have right now. Well said.

19. ipeecee says:

you write so well at this tender age,its like I can relate to every word,every emotion.

20. ipeecee says:

thanks for sharing new word and I jus love the word and every line of this piece.well,at the end,we look back with pride n faith at the journey we have taken.

21. walkerkaty0 says:

Love this post. Love John Green. And love the fact that you have a picture quote from One Tree Hill on your page. :)

22. kat1616 says:

Beautiful. Some of us tend to write a more epic story of our lives and loves than what truly transpired I’m sure. Is that being a romantic or being dramatic? Or tortured as both? ; )

23. Beautifully written! I liked the way you interpreted “Saudade” as the love that remains…
    Portuguese is my first language and I don’t think I could’ve translated it so beautifully as you did. Nice!

24. Weston Webb says:

Very well said, you have a wonderful writing style and the words themselves flow across the page with ease. Your writing matters.

25. swamiyesudas says:

People leave, of course. As did my Aged Mother, and my Father before that. I even lost a Sweet little Cousin of about 2 years. And Children will leave when they get married.

If We leave all that, I, as a Catholic Priest, a Diocesan one at that, (for my sins!), I can understand and say that People leave. My Best Friend is nearly 1500 Kms away, if not more. But the horrible part is that he would not even answer my calls now. Such is a Priest’s life.

But I wonder, I really do, and I say this very sincerely, How can somebody who IS married, or who CAN marry say these things? Don’t Spouses remain there for Us? Is that not one of the Greatest Advantages of Marriage?