Showing up

“Showing up is 80 percent of life.” Woody Allen

Showing up. At your job, at a meeting. Sitting down at your desk because it’s time to write.

When you feel like it or not.

When you’d much rather do anything else.

Discipline requires tremendous mental effort.

It’s the extra mile, the extra routine, the two or three hundred more words that you write.

That little extra is what really makes the difference.

Showing up when you don’t feel like it, when you just want to act lazy and sit in bed and listen to music all day long.

Success is all about showing up. That’s it.

Show up. Do your thing. Finish stuff.

It’s that easy and that hard. That simple and that complicated.

14 comments on “Showing up

1. Or, in the case of the person you quoted, showing up to molest your kid?

Sorry, couldn’t help myself… :-)

2. It’s what I have taught my children. The first thing is to show up, the second thing is to finish …

3. Madie_H says:

YES! An integral piece of advice for success. I force myself to show up, even when I don’t want to – I overslept on Tuesday (after being legitimately exhausted) and was so close to taking a day off work before I metaphorically slapped the self-discipline back into me. It turns out I was especially needed at work that day so it’s a good job too!

Thanks for phrasing things so candidly – it’s a great motivator to me.

4. At certain times, when I’m reading your posts, I feel as though you’re writing my thoughts. Thank you for understanding. Great posts.

5. I’d also recommend enjoying the writing process, that way people will enjoy reading what you wrote.

6. mamie says:

Such great advice, and at the perfect time, too. Thanks!

7. afrotoiler says:

Show up. Do your thing. Finish stuff…incredible!!

8. Lewin Carr says:

absolutely it will boil down to what you can make yourself do, every other emotion, circumstances and people will line up like a firing squad to block you from pushing through to that extra mile but you must work yourself into a level of desire that will not allow you to live with yourself if you don’t show up. Don’t wait until you feel like it, do it anyway… make yourself do it. if you cant fly run if you cant run walk and if you cant walk creep whatever you do keep moving. MLK

9. Yes! If you went by your feelings only, you wouldn’t show up for much in life. You have to be committed to showing up! Great post!

10. kendunning says:

I heard someone comment one time that; “The world is run by people who stay until the end of the meeting.”

11. Steve Price says:

Simple but effective advice!!

12. Steve Price says:

Simple but very effective advice!!

13. Wajiha says:

So simple but exactly what i needed to get started today. Thank you! :)