Real life vs. Social Media

image

“The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel.” Steven Furtick

One of the sad truths of today is that technology consumes us. It’s not just about the time, but how we use that time.

Social media, for instance, provides us with both an escape and a way of searching for a certain kind of validation from others.

We want the approval and admiration of others and we edit our lives to appear better than they really are.

But what happens when we get absorbed by the glitz and glamour of other people’s lives?

You lie to yourself and pretend that you are happier than you really are, and then you see other people doing the same thing but you fail to recognize the lie.

We’re all actors, and in playing this fantasy game we fail to grasp the simple fact that real life is always just outside our windows.

Real life is about being aware of your surroundings, about other people and their needs. Real life is about real people.

Real life is about experience. About genuine experience, the one you only “stumble upon” when you leave your comfort zone.

Real life is about struggles, not selfies. Real life is about getting broken and fixing yourself, not counting the wounds in a pathetic attempt to gather as many likes as possible.

Real life is about building confidence and discipline and patience, not about feeding your ego with other people’s (often misplaced) admiration.

Real life is about staying true to yourself. Be who you want to be, because that’s what you want, not because you want him or her to like you.

Real life is about enjoying the process, not becoming obsessed with the results.

By pretending to be anything other than who we really are we lose so much. It takes a phenomenal amount of mental effort to keep a mask on… And, in the end, undoubtedly, the mask will fall off.

Real life is not about other people and clever ways of manipulating them into fulfilling our needs and desires. Real life is about going out there, into this vast world, and finding out what is it that you really want.

From yourself and from others.

Real life has no like button, no delete button, or any other kind of button, because there’s no remote control.

Don’t like something? Change it.

47 comments on “Real life vs. Social Media

1. I particularly don’t like Facebook for many of the reasons you wrote about. In fact, I am in the midst of deciding if I can grow a following for my blog without Facebook. Any thoughts or do you think it is a necessary evil?

• Well, you can certainly grow an audience without the use of any social network. Aftet all, what matters most is what you post on your blog.

• CraftyMessy says:

Well, Facebook is a big method to grow audience but you may opt not to use it. for me Twitter is a lot better. :) I also do blog and I just use FB to connect with other bloggers, not really to post something personal or whatever. But it’s either good or evil depending on how you really use it, Whitney. :)

2. see20 says:

great post! I fully agree that real life is about being aware of your surrounding about other people and their need. I am now also comforted in my resolution of not pretending to be anything other than who I am really.

3. khayceelyn says:

wow. really impressive.. nowadays doe..

4. agree. i’m not opposed to social media but most people are abusing it and as you’ve mentioned, people tend to lose touch to what’s real.

5. Very nice post. I am also planning to write an article about how facebook became a diary where everyone is free to take a look of our personal lives.

6. dellymari says:

My God, I love this post! Thank you. :)

7. I agree. Social media can take over our lives if we let it. At the same time it is at least helpful in getting your name/product out there. But being true to yourself is not enough. You need to be true to God’s call on your life. Only when you know Him and are under His direction can you be true to yourself. Then you can set your priorities and put social media (and all other tools) in their proper place!

8. Simran Brijwani says:

Oh how I love this post ♥

9. dorandana says:

very apt….and yet, while we all await Facebook’s new “unlike” button, we should also await its diametrically opposed new “illness” that will be generated when readers can express negative comments with the push of a button, or FORP (fear of rejection publicly)

10. Very well-put. Social media, for Christians, seems to be the ideal climate for the outside of the cup to be washed. I have caught myself in it, too. It is very easy to boast and preach from the pulpit of the status bar, but real sharpening can come from discussions that lead to revelation and, more importantly, reasoning together and speaking the truth in love.

11. Yep, agree! I bet in a years to come, there might be whole new business for digital detoxing. All this online presence robs the mental peace. I know I am not supposed to feel I have achieved a great thing by being offline for a few days. I know there are others feeling the same way.
    We are not supposed to feel that. Speaking from experience the detox works wonders for the mind.

12. I have learned to blog only when I have something new to say, not when I merely feel thr need to say something. Good words.

13. jofox2108 says:

Absolutely – very well put. I, personally, think that the split between who a person projects as themselves on a place like FB and their actual self is very unhealthy. It’s the kind of thing which used to only happen to celebrities who see one image in the media and are aware of their real selves too. Some celebrities drink and do drugs to help deal with this and many seek professional psychological help with the problem of ‘over-exposure’. With the advent of FB I think many more people are experiencing this unhealthy split and tendancy to sanitise themselves and their lives leaving them feeling depressed and vulnerable.
    Thanks again for a great post. :-)

14. Mr. Goat says:

So true. I couldn’t have said it any better. A lot of people get sucked into their phones, and you can see this every day. I think that the reason we focus on our technology so much is because its so easy for us to access anything we need through it.

15. hanadidairi says:

Beautiful post. I DE-activated Facebook a month and a half ago and i feel so much better without it. I have all this free time for my hobbies, and i can enjoy life at my own pace. Plus, i don’t have to feel bad because other people’s life seems so much more interesting than mine…

16. I`rene says:

I do hope I can share your post on Facebook
    This is a must-read for every youth in my country

17. karend2007 says:

This is a very good post. I totally agree with you, that’s why I’m trying to limit my use of things like Facebook, Twitter etc, because you shouldn’t judge yourself on how many ‘likes’ you receive.

18. “Great astounding piece! This was absolutely brilliant, genius, outstanding. It was remarkably enlightening and perfectly worded!”

19. Excellent. Real life is meant to be lived, in all its messiness, overflowing laundry, undone dishes, and bathroom vanities that NEVER stay uncluttered. As you aptly observe, we get caught up in the illusion of perfection in other people’s lives — how very, very sad.

20. craiglock says:

all the best
    cristian

“Thought determines what you want;
    actions determine what you get.”

21. gspottedpen says:

In this medi(a)(o)cratic ….LOL Take it as a pun ….It’s challenging to pursue an enlightened individualism where we can strive to retain an authenticity of being.

22. canadaslim says:

Great post! Only one thing against it…I wish I had written it! Well done!

23. ID Smith says:

Great post. Have a look at Author Publish magazine. It’s free http://www.authorspublish.com/

24. teogonesouth says:

Well said. I agree with you. However I am not that strict on this point. See, there are so many great things in my life that happened because of my activity on the internet. I managed to get a ride in so many different sports cars because filming vlog on racing events. I got a job offer in advertisement. I have met some great people and seen very beautiful places. Vlog helped me to meet my fiance and prove her that I am actually a nice guy. And all this is because I knew, I gotta get out and find something that I like and other people will like too.

I guess you mean it more for those who blindlesly crave for likes and followers. But if social network is taken as a tool and just a side motivator. I don’t think it’s that bad.

25. kzisnbk says:

This says a lot about the growing addiction to social media. Why it happens, and why it is damaging.

26. So true. So spot on. I agree with “Life is about being aware of your surroundings … about enjoying the process, not becoming obsessed with the results,” and with your parting “Don’t like something? Change it.” So maybe we can try regularly having a couple of device-free days a week to get in touch with our natural senses and feelings on the road to getting real.