Happiness

What is happiness? How can we obtain it? How can we keep it? Why is it so important for us to be happy?

Questions we all asked ourselves at certain points in life.

But the truth is that happiness cannot be obtained. Or bought. Or kept.

Happiness is not a destination, but a way of travel. Happiness is a choice. A way of seeing life.

Happiness is progress.

It’s not about being the best at something, but about becoming better. Each day.

Like most things in life, happiness requires discipline.

We must appreciate what we already have, which is easier said than done.

In such a competitive society, in this therapy culture, in which failures and problems form the foundation of most relationships, it seems almost impossible for us to be content with what we have.

Those around us will find our faults and ask us what are we going to do to fix them.

There’s nothing to fix. We are who we are. Human. Flawed.

Happiness just is. And it’s in each and everyone of us.

What we think, what we feel, what we do. Whhy we do what we do.

Happiness is an inside job, and the reason most people are unhappy is because they’re searching for happiness in all the wrong places.

14 comments on “Happiness

1. l3monade says:

Nicely written X) The piece really hits home with me XD

If I may add as well, a lot of the time people keep looking for long term happiness and unfortunately it’s something I don’t think is obtainable. We should be getting short but frequent bursts of happiness in life instead, that’s what truly makes the moments count. If happiness happens all the time, happiness just becomes second nature which makes the bad times feel even worse. In that sense, these days I find happiness in the smaller things in life which happens all around me instead of a far flung goal I try to set for myself.

2. Cuts for him says:

“Happiness is an inside job, and the reason most people are unhappy is because they’re searching for happiness in all the wrong places” I like this.. :D

3. nobodyknowsjan says:

One’s definition of happiness changes in time. Some dreams become more defined; others see that it isn’t exactly what they expected.

4. Jaime says:

“Happiness is a choice. A way of seeing life.” Really like this too. :)

5. kishAN says:

Really we all are feeling happiness of life…

6. trotter387 says:

Limiting happiness in this way effectively says we find happiness is by delving within – but happiness begins with giving, giving of ourselves even though we are in need and wanting, giving physically although we don’t have the strength to bear all things and giving spiritually as without these key elements we are seeking our own interests but the greatest happiness is watching others respond to an unknown benefactor – give because you can and happiness is a direct product.

7. tpesce2015 says:

I find that “happiness” is usually closer rather than far away, because things I want to happen in the future contain an element of uncertainty, of course, whereas “happiness” today more closely resembles contentment.

8. This was a good read. Research has determined that we have a happy gene, if one is born without the gene or a lesser one, happiness is then sought after for ones entire life. Happiness then takes on new meaning and perspective for that person.

9. I think happiness comes in small doses, everyday. Dont look for bigger things. But for smaller ones and find happiness in those. And the best part, the smaller ones can be created by you…a jog in the park, watching a gurgling baby or a beautiful butterfly!!

10. purpledivaa says:

It’s so true… We search for happiness in the worst of places. I was a victim of that once and then I realised that happiness, as you say, is in us. We choose to be happy or depressed, but it takes a lot of self-love to discover that and I’m grateful that I’m finally back to my happy place.

11. Boygene says:

well written. its a message for all

12. jeffreybotah says:

Absolutely true. It’s hard to think of happiness as a journey since everybody (myself included) has been taught to focus on the end product.