Perception

perspective“For everything you have missed, you have gained something. For everything you gain, you have lost something else. It is about your outlook towards life. You either regret or rejoice.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Life’s simply a matter of perspective. Everyone’s fighting a hard battle, every single person we meet has lost someone they’ll never get back. Each and every one of us wishes for something that, most probably, we’ll never have.

But what we think about all this is crucial.

I’m going to be honest. When I think about the whole half-full/half-empty glass thing, I’m usually the one who thinks of himself as being without a glass.

And it’s not about envy or greed or whatever, because I don’t like to compare myself to others. It’s just that I have this grand vision of who I should be as a person, and most times I fell short of that. I always see myself as I really am when I look in the mirror, and yet I can clearly see who I want to be.

And the two are not alike.

Funny thing, but those two are never alike. What we choose to do about it, though, is what really matters.

Do we panic? Do we give up? Do we make ourselves miserable?

It’s not about the destination, but about the journey. It’s not about reaching a place, but about realizing that the long road toward that place is, in fact, the place itself.

There’s no pursuit of happiness. There’s no reaching for something.

It’s just us and the long and winding road.

It’s just us and life.

And the way we choose to see things.

But maybe it’s worth remembering once in a while that we never see things as they are. Our vision is distorted by who we are. We perceive everything around us through a lens composed of qualities and flaws. We compare and we remember and we analyze.

The things that no longer are will always be compared to what is. Or what could be. Or what will be.

We try to make sense of things. To find meaning.

But let me ask you a question: do you think that “meaning” is something to be found? Or given? Created from all our previous experiences?

Do you think that we find who we are after years and years of wandering or do we create that self?

What I’m really trying to say is that how we look at things is how we look at ourselves. What we see around us is what we see inside us. If there’s no beauty and magic in the world, you’ll never find beauty and magic in yourself. Or happiness.

9 comments on “Perception

1. bahelberg1 says:

Love this quote and concept by Emerson. We choose and we live that way — so true.

2. moyorlayor says:

This helped a lot…thank you for sharing this

3. Wow! “Our vision is distorted by who we are. We perceive everything around us through a lens composed of qualities and flaws. We compare and we remember and we analyze”

That is absolutely beautiful and you are right! A lot of things is just about perspective and thoughts and how we see things. It’s said that our thoights make us who we are. How do we control our thoughts?

4. Ng says:

I couldn’t have said it any better. Brilliant write up.

5. jaredb1234 says:

Here are some of my favorite quotes that I had found.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” by Oscar Wilde.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
    by Mae West.

“Don’t walk in front of me… I may not follow
    Don’t walk behind me… I may not lead
    Walk beside me… just be my friend”
    by Albert Camus.

“If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.”
    by Mark Twain.

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.”
    by Bill Keane.

6. Apathy says:

Excellent, especially liked the no glass point, kind of like in the “Matrix” movie regarding bending the spoon. We must realize that there is no spoon, nor glass to be filled, regardless of level.

7. I’ve been negotiating this issue and corollary issues for some time. I have a couple of blog posts that try to articulate some of my thoughts on this complex and terribly important question regarding perception and how to live a good life. Thanks for the post!

8. jeffreybotah says:

This is very relatable, I feel like I go through the battle of putting myself down for not being who I think I should be rather than working on myself.