About hope

hopeA couple days ago I met this guy from France. He was curious to know as much about Romania as possible, and at one point he asked about our life during the Communist era. And I told him that even though there are plenty of people who are nostalgic for those times, we should be grateful for one of the most precious things capitalism has brought us: the power of choice. The freedom to struggle.

Now, how many of you take that for granted? How many of you actually despise it? That you have to struggle, to hustle, to fight for what you want…

But it’s such a beautiful thing.

You can be whoever you want, do whatever you want. You are free to make your own choices, to create your own destiny. You can see what you want to see each and every single time you look out the window.

The world is as big or as little or as strange or as terrifying or as marvelous as you want it to be.

And I think that this is man’s greatest strength. And weakness.

We are free. Like no other creature on Earth.

Of course, we build prisons. In the most unlikely of places sometimes. In the most sinister of manners. But we are free to escape those prisons, to find hope even in the most desolate places on this planet.

That is what life is all about. Hope.

About the ability to imagine a better future and to fight for it. To hustle for it.

To work your ass off to create your best self, your ideal body, your dream home.

If you can keep hope alive, that flame will keep you going when you are tired, when you are sick, when you are scared, hungry, broke.

It’s as simple and as complicated as that.

13 comments on “About hope

1. Beautiful post. And very true. It’s sad that we sometimes take for granted the freedom we’ve been fighting for so many centuries

2. Candi Sandi Blogs says:

beautiful words!

3. ray032 says:

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
    But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

And now abides Faith, Hope, Love, these three; but the greatest of these is Love.
    1Corinthians 13

4. Amruta Singh says:

Good post, helped me especially when I am feeling depressed.

5. Very true indeed. Do you know you write so well?

6. Very wise and well said. It disturbs me greatly that people here in the U.S. are so passive about giving their freedoms away. Our ancestors fought bravely for that freedom. In the words of one of our founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin: “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.” Too many people are willing to lie back and let the government take care of all their needs and at the same time take away their freedom and privacy.

7. Sabrina D. says:

Loved this. The words i just needed.

8. tayonthemove says:

Wow, beautifully put. Thank you so much for sharing!

9. simon7banks says:

Very true and it’s depressing to see people reacting from Communist unfreedom to philosophies or programmes of unfreedom for others based on intolerance and exclusion, as has happened in some Eastern European states and could happen in the USA. It’s also depressing when the descendants of people who fought for freedom and democracy in the Second World War reject and sneer at politics and hence democracy. The descendants of those who fought them tend to value freedom and democracy more.

One point about capitalism. It’s democracy rather than capitalism that’s brought these freedoms. At present at least I don’t think democracy is possible without capitalism, but unrestricted capitalism kills democracy because one dollar/pound/rouble one vote rules everywhere and the poor are both very poor and powerless. It’s also quite possible to have capitalism without democracy, as used to be the norm in Latin America and applied in South Korea for a long time, as well as in Greece, Turkey, Portugal and Spain at various times in the last sixty years.

10. mikeflow34 says:

This is one of those things that should be read each morning before you start your day. Thanks.

11. jeffreybotah says:

That’s a beautiful way to put it. I always seem to come across your posts when I need them most.

12. Beautiful hope, it is what holds us when there are no other arms to lift us from despair. Beautiful writing and thank you for following me and I follow you.