When words can’t

words2Don’t you feel sometimes that certain human experiences can’t really be expressed? Certain depths of the soul can’t be put into words, no matter how much we try? Yes, it feels at times that words are simply bleeding out of our hearts, and, yes, we do come close to revealing the essence of the human spirit, yet we fail. Time and time again.

Time and time again we come close to finding the answer to all of life’s profound questions, and yet… the answer finds its way to our ears as a soft whisper, only to dissipate into meaninglessness right before we capture it.

We want to say more than we can, more than we are capable of saying. Words are our greatest achievement. Language has made all our dreams possible. Without the ability to express certain emotions in the way that we do, without the ability to pass them on, to instruct future generations, to leave something behind, we would have never achieved such technological breakthroughs.

Yet, sometimes, words fail to express what our heart so desperately wants to say. We feel in such a way; the fire that burns bright inside our chests is threatening to shatter the world. We are powerful, yet we feel weak, because we want to be able to contain what we are feeling within punctuation marks. We want to string a few sentences together and define who we are and what we want.

But what if we just let it go? What if we simply chose to accept this as a fact? Just offer people a glimpse into your soul and hope that they can see and feel what you see and feel? Why wouldn’t that be enough? We are all similar in nature. We all express universal truths and longings.

That’s it, actually. Art, all of it. That’s the meaning of life. We are alike, you and I. We share dreams and ideals, and we love with the same passion, and we feel just as lonely on cold nights.

Words make us feel less alone, and let us know there is someone out there who’s just like us. Who thinks and acts and feels like us. There’s great comfort in that, in knowing that you are not unique.

15 comments on “When words can’t

1. Deb says:

We are all connected and share the same vibrations. We are the same and different all at once. Beautifully expressed! :-)

2. Nan Mykel says:

Excellent thoughts. And…that is also where metaphors can help out?

3. Pat says:

We are the human race, connected and in more ways alike regardless of those who try to separate us based on our small differences. Words are powerful and we use it to the best of our ability to express our feelings. Thanks for sharing and remindinget me of our uniqueness in the simplest of ways.☺👍

4. rk352 says:

Your blog just hit the point buddy. The expression of these humane feelings is not always possible.

5. Jung wrote about the collective unconscious; perhaps we’re connected consciously too.

6. bijoyinee's says:

nice article…

7. josiesvoice says:

Silence is golden applies sometimes.

8. Late last night I thought
    I had grasped the mystery:
    but when I awoke
    I clasped only shadows and sand.

Roger.

9. themadgayman says:

As someone who has been trying to really delve into my inner-psyche in order to understand my emotional state, this post resonates with me. It’s incredibly hard to use words to describe something unspoken, all the feels inside we keep to ourselves. It takes time, patience, meditation, honesty with one’s self, and practice. I think we become better writers when we can understand our own inner struggles, especially once we start writing the motivations for our imaginary characters.

10. joseepha says:

This just answered a conversation i was having with a friend of mine about not finding the right words to say. I will make sure he reads this. Thanks for the beautiful expression.

11. i think i just connected to your word, totally agree, even my major was Psychology, the art of human being was still make me confused, yet make me so interested, respect :-)

12. gakuen1234 says:

sometimes words are remain unsaid.