Writing is healing…

writing_healing“Writing eases my suffering . . . writing is my way of reaffirming my own existence.”  – Gao Xingian

Have you ever asked yourself why is it that people write? Why is it that they feel the urge to put on paper thoughts, emotions, events… why do they have to write it all down?

Perhaps they do so because they don’t want to forget. Or maybe because they write differently from what they think, and only in writing do they find the freedom they so desperately need.

Or they write because they simply want to move on.

When something that happened to you turn into words, it’s easier to forget that it even happened. Pain gets altered into something else, into a story that might bring comfort to another human being.

Suffering becomes a message, one that will travel down the sinuous river of time until it reaches the right person at the right time.

I’ve been writing for more than 10 years now. And I wrote for all the reasons that you can possibly think. I wrote because I was alone. I tried to make loneliness mean something by creating stories. And it made my loneliness much more bearable. I could confront my true self, I could regain just enough help to wake up the following morning with the desire to fight.

Writing is like fighting a different kind of battle. Words can heal people, and they can also break them. They can shatter dreams, create delicate illusions, offer an ideal to those who badly need it.

I spent two years writing because there was nothing else for me to do. I spent those years hiding from the world. I was poor, sick, and alone. I was afraid.

I was a broken man. I couldn’t stare people in the eyes, I couldn’t really tell them how I felt.

But every night I would write. And I was free, and I was careless, and I was not alone.

I could dance, I could sing, I could paint. In my stories, I could do anything that I wished to do. Even though I was afraid of the world outside my window, the one inside my head became a place where extraordinary things could happen.

And this gives you hope. Art gives you hope.

When you write, nothing else really matters. If you’re a real artist, it shouldn’t matter. Not what’s going to happen to your work of art after you finish it, not even what’s going to happen to you after that.

The job of a creator is a lonely job indeed, because by creating something out of nothing, you’re denying your own existence. You shift your perspective so much that you focus only on what you’re doing. You’re so busy building a new world that the real one becomes less than an echo inside your head. Your own voice, your own soul seem to dissolve into this brave new world you’re creating.

I know of no greater sacrifice than that of spending even a second to become someone else. Or something else.

Writing healed me. All the stories I wrote gave me confidence. All the people that have read my stories, that were so kind as to tell me that my words meant  something… that gave me courage.

Writing teaches you that you only need courage to create the world you want. You want it, and you do it. A blank page is a world of endless possibilities, all of which are under your control.

The saddest illusion of our times is that we alone are in control of our destinies. Not true. A million other factors control our destinies. Accidents, coincidences, and other people. Things we take for granted or things we lost but never regained.

Have you ever loved someone who didn’t love you back?

That’s what I’m talking about.

You make life happen, but life also makes you happen. It’s all a complex mechanism, and we can never survive all by ourselves. It all works together, somehow…

But when you write, that’s when you don’t need someone else. When you write, your audience, your target audience, the people you want to influence, all that’s just nonsense. Because when you write, and if you do it right, you can’t think of anything else but the world you’re creating.

There’s no time, no energy, to think of anything else.

You become a creator.

33 comments on “Writing is healing…

1. I love the moment in both writing, and reading where you find yourself in a different world. Thank you for sharing. G-uno

2. J says:

Very nice 😊

3. Bibliosmia says:

I love this post! Sometimes I have trouble telling others what I’m feeling or thinking, but when I write it comes so naturally and easier. It’s a great way to get ideas out of your head. Great post!

4. Pat says:

What a wonderful way of speaking about writing. I beleive there is something here that touches the soul of everyone who writes. Thank you for saying it so clearly with words.

5. I have to agree with you 100%!

6. I write because there is magic in it. Ideas come clearer when put into words. Most often I sit down with just a vague idea. But when the words flow that idea becomes crystal clear. Thanks Christian! Keep on writing…

7. markkyousuke says:

Thanks for your writing. Now i have a little courage to creating something.

8. augieblogy says:

Very inspirational, writing is an individual’s tool to have free reign and control over one’s thoughts and emotions. You can truly become a god of your own inner world.

9. Great post! Writing for me is something I can’t live without and also something that gives me both pleasure and pain.

10. Soumya R says:

“Have you ever loved someone who didn’t love you back?” This line moved me to tears. I understand every word you wrote here. Thank you for the heartfelt post. Yes. Words matter. Thank you for writing this! :) For the accidents and coincidences. Thank you! :)

11. U just inspired me to keep on writing to inspire others…keep on keeping on

12. Thank you for inspiring me to keep writing. I enjoy reading all that you write. Your words matter and the impact is incredible. :)

13. Suaylia says:

So beautiful! I write because of the same reasons you have mentioned in this blog post.

14. tartanrose88 says:

This post is fantastic. It actually fits rather well with a blog i intend to write in the future – when I do, I would love to reblog this alongside it, to better illustrate my point. That is, of course, if that’s okay with you? Thank you, TR xx

15. This is so amazingly me!

16. I coudn’t have said it better. I’ve always had the same ideas about writing. We(authors) create the problems, solutions and characters. We are able to govern what happens in these fictional characters lives. This gives us the feeling of fulfillment, because in the real world life is a bit more complex.

17. elegiachue says:

Remarkable! I’m a newcomer to this site and am thankful to have stumbled across this post. Writing, for me, offers escape from both reality and from yourself. In today’s world, words are all we have.

18. “Suffering becomes a message.” Thank you for your beautiful words.

19. bardmercutio says:

Yes, those are well-thought out and well described reasons to write. But one of those that affected me most profoundly was the need to be heard. Yes, it was good to have something that would listen, even if it was a blank page, but I could never say anything nearly as well as I could write it. To write was to speak. To communicate things that I could only say when written down.

20. georgiadjj says:

Amazing story! Thank you :)

21. This is really well written.
    I used to write when I wanted to hold on to something that’s going away and I felt really sad about it.

22. lodgerofarabica says:

A very relatable piece. Thank you for sharing. Writing can also hurt, hurt a lot, because sometimes our own thoughts aren’t kind. It will pummel us and force us to see all the things we longed to forget, but that’s okay because writing will ultimately heal us again.

23. moonjeanlove says:

WOW, Excellent…

24. cjeskew says:

Beautiful post :-)

25. davefrantony says:

Perfect!….Writing has brought my inner man to life, that I had no idea was there. Creating a vision from deep within with no limits into words. For our eyes to see and our lips to read and our ears to hear. Now tangible for the rest of the world to dream, ponder and wonder amongst their own daily life and thoughts……Perfect just perfect!

26. True. For me writing gives the thoughts and emotions a refinement which makes them organised into what really matters to be remembered. Nice post. Keep wiring. ☺️