The pursuit of happiness

There are two ways to be happy: change the situation, or change your mindset towards it.

Today’s society is obsessed with happiness. We want instant gratification, success, fame, soulmates that never die…

We don’t fight for what we want. We don’t have the patience to wait for the good things in life. And we certainly don’t want to put in the effort required to cultivate the necessary perspective for happiness.

Yes, that’s right. Happiness is simply a way of looking at things. A matter of perspective. It’s not a destination, but a way of travel.

It’s deciding to be who you want to be inspite of everyone else telling you to be something else. It’s liking who you are, being proud of who you’ve become.

It’s embracing all that you are (and are not).

It’s not about what you get in life, but about what you become by getting what you want.

It’s not about possession, but about acceptance and gratitude.

“If the world was free of problems, paradise would lose its value.”Mufti Menk

Biggest problem people have? Their belief that they shouldn’t have problems. That they are entitled to eternal happiness. Well, that’s not how this thing works.

Happiness is never a right. It is earned and fought for through blood and tears, and even then we all can slip and fall right back to where we started. There is no such thing as eternal happiness.

There is no such thing as the pursuit of happiness…

Happiness is simply the by-product of a life lived well. Happiness is progress. Happiness is choosing optimism and hope, day after day after day; it’s choosing to be aware of oneself and those around him.

We’re all human. We’re all flawed. But we do have it in ourselves to cultivate the proper habits to be happy.

11 comments on “The pursuit of happiness

1. Francis says:

Another brilliant thought. Thanks!|

2. Ng says:

Essentail food for thought!

3. Very nice and agree with you. Loved the way you stated to find the happiness.

4. CAROL says:

It is soooo true. It just appears that in a lot of cases people don’t realize that all the good stuff takes work. ou don’t just get handed amazing. I blame it on movies and TV culture. People think that stuff is so real when it really isn’t.

I dig what you are writing here!

5. Paras says:

I love it. Thanks for posting this!

6. Bob Dylan asked his Grand mother: “Which one is the road to happiness?”. This is what she replied: “There’s none, my boy, happiness is the road itself” (from “Chronicles Vol.1”)

7. pearlgirl says:

Love this line:

“We grow complacent with people and ideas. We grow cold and bitter because we want what we want and we want it now, and sadly the Universe doesn’t work like this.”

So true. When I was younger (early twenties) i would throw fits if my way didn’t work. I look back at the old me now and just shake my head at the childish me. It’s so important to learn new things and ways of life and not remain stagnant. This is also for people who think that they are “entitled” to be handed over things or be treated in a certain way without reciprocating the same.

As always, very thoughtful writing.

8. Pat says:

This is very true..it’s so easy to fall into the realm of self pity

9. Peter says:

I wonder if anyone is “improved” by happiness? I always thought it interesting that the Old Testament said that by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better. And, in fact, it seems that most of the people I know (myself included) have grown the most out of difficulty and haven’t grown a lot at all out of happiness. Which is not to say that any of us PREFER sadness.

The focus on happiness always seems to me self-indulgent. There are so many people with great needs that time spent indulging our own whims and wishes seems somehow miserly.