Perseverance

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”Calvin Coolidge
They say it’s not how good you are, but how good you want to be.

They say it’s all about will power.

I agree.

When the world says, “Give up,” Hope whispers, “Try one more time.”
Hope. Man’s greatest strength and weakness at the same time.

People used to believe in the power of intelligence when it came to success in life. IQ was believed to be the determinant factor in the quality of one’s life. Then it kind of changed. Emotional intelligence was found to be more important.

Recently, though, we are beggining to understand that hope is what truly makes the difference.

The ability to believe with all your heart that your fortune will change, that you will become who you want to be, regardless of your situation today, regardless of how you’re feeling right now.

The ability to do what’s important, even when you don’t feel like it, because you hope that your efforts will pay off sometime in the future.

“Stubbornly persist, and you will find that the limits of your stubbornness go well beyond the stubbornness of your limits.”Robert Brault

You are reading this post because I have been writing for almost 14 years. You are reading this post because I spent 10 of those years writing by myself, with no one to support or encourage me.

Actually, everyone (friends, family) told me to quit.

They told me to be realistic and just do what normal people do.

What do normal people do anyways?

They give up easily? They settle for less than they desire? Less than they deserve?

I don’t know, but if that is one of the components of being normal, call me whatever you like, but I am glad I’m not normal.

“When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” Franklin D. Roosevelt

When I first started writing, someone told me that I was either fourteen or a retard. They said I’ll never make it as a writer.

A few more said kind of the same thing.

And, yes, I was fourteen years old, and, yes, I was writing crap.

But guess what?

I didn’t give up.

No matter how hopeless everything seemed, I kept on going.

Even if it meant the end of me, even if it meant me starving to death, writing stuff that no one would ever read.

“Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.”Walter Elliott

I failed and I failed and I failed. And I keep on failing. And I keep being told “no.” And I struggle to write, struggle to gather ideas, struggle for inspiration or motivation, and there are days when it seems as if all is lost…

Days when I don’t feel like writing. When I feel bored or lonely or whatever. Days when I feel depressed, tired, suicidal.

But guess what?

I laugh inside at all these feelings. Because underneath it all lies something, some force, some part of me that knows it’s invincible.

A part of me that will never give up without a good fight.

19 comments on “Perseverance

1. Absolutely agree. Those 10 years you were at least writing. I was thinking about writing and crippled by fear. I cannot get those years back but I can be persistent now!

2. marsymallows says:

You should know that reading this made me feel better about my current situation and that I am inspired by what you have gone through and what you have learned all these years! I’ll save this article to read for when I feel so down and uninspired to remind myself to keep going! You should be proud of how your writing helps people like me! :) Thank you!

3. khayceelyn says:

When I feel down, I’ll do the same thing, I’ll whisper in the air said”one more try”. #Befirm no matter what life’s throws me :D #lessonstobelearned

4. Keep writing! I enjoued your post very much. The idea that hope is the one ingredient that makes the difference between success and failure seems such simple a thing, doesn’t it? I think having hope is right up there with having faith – both intangible with sight beyond current circumstances and both a definite lifeline for me!
    Sandra

5. eshitabahdur says:

Absolutely motivational….

6. JustMe says:

Another beautifully written piece, Cristian. I truly enjoy your soulful writing, and I know that it touches others in the same way that it touches me.

We must write, regardless of what we write or how others perceive it. It’s an indelible part of who we are at our core. It may never bring us riches, but it will always bring us joy and that, my friend, is the real treasure.

Thank you so much for sharing!

7. I can see how this piece resonates with so many writers and other artists.

In the face of failure or rejection, it is sometimes difficult to keep at it. It is hard to claim to be a writer when no one else seems to think so.

I call myself a writer. After all, I have been writing for almost 30 years. I will continue to write despite lack of recognition or traditional “success.” That is who I am.

Thank you for posting.

8. Yes, you know that, never give up… Not unless after losing every battle you ended losing the war…. And still then, you can pick yourself up off the floor and try again.

9. I couldn’t agree more, persistence, resilience, and then a bit more persistence can get you very far indeed. My father has an expression in our family – “Never give up”. I grew up hearing that phrase. He made a huge success of his life from very humble beginnings, and he has instilled in me a sure belief I can succeed. Even though at the moment I may be a little off-course, I firmly believe it it is just a kink in my general direction – belief is half the battle.

10. jennrae says:

This is so true. I am looking for wisdom everywhere, and I seem to find it everywhere. This resonates with me because people in the past have told me I was foolish, and silly and to give up and be normal. What is normal? Been asking that for years. Thank you for posting this.

11. Van Gogh painted without recognition. Most artists do what they love without recognition. The more you write, the stronger you become Cristian!

12. ziqahbaym says:

What an inspiring story! I love it :)

13. simon7banks says:

True within narrow terms. OK, press on, but to what, for what? You could say Adolf Hitler was a classic example of pressing on and believing in himself. To what end? Any top-class fraudster does just what Coolidge advises.

• Well, that’s a different issue. Morality, ethics…

What is right? What is wrong? Evil? Good? How do you define them?

And Hitler not only persevered…he thought he was doing the world a favor. A lot of suffering has been dealt to this world by those who were absolutely certain of the fact they were doing the right thing.

14. “Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.” – Walter Elliott What a great quote. This is sooooooo true. At the end, only persistance gets you to the finish line. Only perseverance.