New release: 2:22 AM

coverThey say the only ones who are awake late at night are the lonely and the loved. The former find it hard to fall asleep when all they have to do is dream with open eyes about their beloved. It’s almost a compulsion.
But what about the lonely? All the artists, the dreamers; the ones who hold tight to a reality they don’t understand and want to explain?

All you can picture inside your head, over and over again, is you closing the door behind you. It felt… irremediable. Your own version of passing the Rubicon. That was the moment when the nostalgia of all that could no longer be began.

Saudade. The love that remains, the love that no amount of poison could ever kill. The love that will eventually alter itself to become what is left when nothing can be done anymore.

A blank page. A writer’s worst nightmare. It’s that terrifying white screen of death. Of oblivion. Of reluctance. Of forgetfulness. Of being a failure.

Your job is to turn that white page into something else. And contrary to popular belief, you do so by sheer power of will.

This is, ultimately, what art teaches us: that by sheer power of will one is able to create something where there was nothing.

He talked about his dreams with such passion… his eyes burning bright with excitement. You asked him what he wanted to be when he was a kid…

“Oh,” he said. “Ever since I was seven I’ve wanted to be one thing and one thing only.”

“What is that?”

He looked down and smiled sheepishly. Then he stared you in the eyes and put a different smile on his face: as if you were the only thing his eyes had ever searched for. He smiled that smile for a while, and then he said, “Different… to be different.”

One night, after he walked you to your house, he tapped his fingers against the wooden frame of the door. “Someday,” he said.

“Someday?”

“Yes,” he said, his fingers now playing with your hair. “Someday yours will be the first face I see in the morning.”

“Why someday?” You asked, every single cell in your body dancing at the thought of him kissing you then and there.

“Someday.” He smiled and, yes, he did kiss you. “Someday,” he said the word as if his very existence revolved around it.

You dug your nose in his chest, the word resonating in your ear. You smiled. You believed him.

Someday was a lovely word.

“Where have you been all my life?” you once asked her. You stared her in the eyes and smiled and she smiled back, a bit scared by what you just said.

You told her that you’d like to hold her hand.

“Why?” she asked.

“Because I could conquer the world… if only you’d hold my hand.”

She lay down her cup. She put it to the side of the table, then moved the ashtray next to it. Then she did the same with your cup. She put her hand on the table, palm up. And she said, “You’re brave, you know? To think that you can conquer the world with just one hand.”

2:22 AM is a short novel written from the perspective of two people who break up. They don’t want to, but it happens. The days go by, they both struggling to find comfort in the fact that the other one is never coming back.

I hope you enjoy reading this short book as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Amazon US || Amazon UK

103 comments on “New release: 2:22 AM

1. Durell Tron says:

Good read from beginning to the end… thanks for the thought

2. journeythroughawomansheart says:

is it available on amazon india (kindle)

3. I enjoyed your post, as usual.

4. I throughly enjoyed reading this, impressive work.

5. There are some in love with thinking the thoughts and experiences more than the person they encounter. Love of a different kind.

6. Ansar khan says:

Thankyou Cristian Mihai for following me ur work is superb #keepitup

7. Ansar khan says:

love your work its awsome

8. dil13 says:

Thank you for sharing your work…You are an amazing writer..glad to come across your work..:)

9. vitaminpony says:

I like the sound of this!

10. This post was quite a stirring and evocative read. I look forward to reading more :)

11. Lucidrancer says:

I really love this. Feels like I’ve always known them. Thank you for this :-)

12. kmyp2t says:

All the feels! :)

13. Sarada Dey says:

I loved reading the excerpts…..will pick the book for the complete read….all the best! Keep writing and entertaining the world with your thoughts and words…..cheers!

14. It sounds like a terrific novel. I know (from just a little experience) that writing even a page can be strenuous. I can totally relate. Great job!

15. ahilutan says:

I love to read this…

16. Jd says:

Nice work you have here.

17. Congratulations on publishing your story!

18. Dani Monique says:

Incredible writing!

19. Vernon says:

Wow!
    Wanting to be different let people know you are okay with self.
    There is no need in trying to be accepted or seek the approval of others.
    Great writing!

20. GP Cox says:

Thought I’d come back to let you know I finished reading “The Writer” and I can not believe how quickly. Your style not only had the immediate hook to capture my attention, but you held it. I must have been flipping pages without conscious knowledge, because before I knew it – I was done! Just wanted to thank you for great read, Christian!

21. Berni says:

Very touching, especially given the small space.

22. “She had no idea what to do with love once the object of its power and intensity of feeling was no longer there to receive it.” – from Thomasina by Paul Gallico

23. That was an enjoyable read, very touching. I love how you captured every minute, pulls the reader in as though they are there.

24. I really enjoyed reading this. Your writing flows and is lyrical and fills me with a sense of nostalgia. Nicely done.

25. Jenique says:

Just from this post alone…….. what you wrote can truly be identified as art

26. sumitssalian says:

Lovely… Loved it . Amazing can go on … Keep entertaining ..

27. I love this. Thanks for sharing it with us!

28. hambirsuman says:

well done sir! the way you’ve put these emotions is unique!

29. Really enjoyed these excerpts, look forward to reading more of your writing. Only one thought – in the first paragraph, don’t you mean “latter” instead of “former”? It’s the first thing that struck me.

30. savanaj says:

Good read and well written, thanks for sharing.

31. Reg says:

Wow….This is beautiful writing.

32. VayneLine says:

Nice cover, its interesting, whats the feedback so far?

33. fefeeley412 says:

You are a very generous writer, Cristian. I love this.

34. Hello! I have just started, so far, so good…actually very good 🙂

35. Alodia Rose says:

This is so beautiful *sigh*

36. KANDEYA. says:

This was indeed a beautiful book. Thank you

37. TMH says:

I liked the structure you chose to tell your story. It keeps readers on their toes.

38. kumikomae says:

Love how this developed.

39. keithakenny says:

Some writers are kept awake by characters in our stories, who are angry about now they’ve been portrayed or opportunities we’ve missed to bring them to life.

40. Eve says:

I like and enjoyed your writing…good use of words and what a surprise to feel a chill run through my body while reading the same exact words that run through my head….especially when staring at a blank page with panic as deadlines approach and my fingers can’t make themselves type my jumbled thoughts.
    LOVE YOUR WRITING!!! Following to keep getting inspired.

41. Great post. Your writing is inspiring! A well-written novel :)

42. danroberson says:

If you enjoy what you write, others will write a path to your door. Thanks for a beautiful view into love and reality.

43. You write in a very beautiful manner! Well done, dear writer! 🙂

44. kill me kill me kill me with your words. It’s astounding as to how much i can relate to that. Except the fact that right now i’m the one handling the broken pieces.

45. Heidi Lorenz says:

Wow, yes! I fell in love after the first paragraph I read! Speechless!

46. V K Browne says:

I really enjoyed reading this piece and I look forward to exploring your blog.

47. Love the cover. Will definitely check this out. Congrats!!!

48. love this post. thank you xx

49. Madhvi says:

Sounds promising. A great prelude indeed!

50. Russ Wollman says:

Captivating—I can feel it, feel the subtext. Writing about love can be treacherous, throwing the writer into the kingdom of schmaltz. You won—not thrown.

51. One of the best blogs I’ve come across. Amazing.

52. Gordomac says:

Very well written, Sir..

53. tianasweb says:

I got hooked right from the start…

54. Me? Maybe 1:00 am…but i get it! Great.

55. aeoliansoul says:

A great piece, I especially was able to relate to these lines that I find to be true in almost any break-up: “It is said that when two people break up, one feels relieved, free. It is over. It is time to move on. And the other one is left with the broken pieces of their heart, not knowing what to do.”
    I don’t know what to do, but I applaud your clarity of vision here.

56. crownfitblog says:

I love the writeup. Its awesome

57. That was touching thankyou

58. “your job is to turn that white page into something else…” so simple and so daunting. Preach!
    Laugh hard. Live strong. Love to serve.
    Best!
    LMS

59. beeingbria says:

I freeaking love this !!!!

60. -Eugenia says:

Excellent read. Great way to start the day.

61. Love the extracts. Poetry in prose. Thank you.

62. ‘They say the only ones who are awake late at night are the lonely and the loved.’
    can’t tell you how much I love that line!

63. andreacfrt says:

I just kept wanting to read more

64. DAZZLED says:

You are the Master of the unvervise.just captured my inner most soul. Thank you for uniquely you.
    You certanily have a beautiful mind.
    Mim x

65. notnaomix says:

this is pure magic, amazing work!

66. Marie Cheine says:

Just purchased this book. Looking foreword to reading it.

67. All I had to read was the first paragraph and I was hooked. Already looking forward to reading more. Your newest fan 🙂

68. I love your choice of words. So beautifully written that I can feel the struggle of the two former lovers.
    And pardon me if I am wrong, but in the first paragraph: “…the only ones who are awake late at night are the lonely and the loved. The former find it hard to fall asleep when all they have to do is dream with open eyes about their beloved.” Would “the former” refer to the lonely? Or should it be the latter, the loved? Many thanks!

69. spajzgirl says:

It was a magical story, I was enchanted after reading the first line. Amazing, thanks for sharing it!

70. Quyen says:

This… spoke right to my heart. I’m speechless.

71. tengkuputeh says:

A dark, but good story

72. Martie says:

The amount of followers that you have amazes me!

73. Márcia Cave says:

I wish there was a word in English for Saudade!!! I struggle with trying to put this feeling into English words. I really enjoy your writing. Thank you for not giving up and showing me that it is possible.

74. Madhu Sameer says:

Nice Read….. 🙂

75. Love the title of your short story. 2:22 AM has been a consistent number in my life and I have used that number in my writings as well. I never could figure out whether it’s a magical hour, lucky or bad number, but for sure, it’s universal. Good luck with your book!!

76. thebookroundup says:

You are talented. Will definitely follow the blog.

77. Aishwarya says:

Awesome…. you just describe the feeling of being blank emotionally fro each and every individuals POV in just simple words……

78. I love the first paragraph! So quotable. :)

79. Z F Wild says:

That was something, man!

80. The first and second paragraph holds more truth than what’s painful to accept. Yet, beautiful.