Words are sacred

“Words are sacred. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones, in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.” – Tom Stoppard

Words are sacred. We invented language. We made up stories, so others knew who we were. We made up stories to tell our truth to the world. We invented words because we knew we could be whatever we made up our minds to be.

Words are magic. They can create love or hate. They can inspire others to act, they can comfort the disturbed, they can offer comfort to those disturbed by life. Words offer an escape from reality or a means to describe it. Words offer a voice to the oppressed. Words are sacred.

Words can be one man’s only weapon.

Words as the hope that the stories inside your mind will, one day, come true. Words as the sad truth that those stories will never come true.

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words can hurt too.

Words can be your best ally or greatest enemy.

Words that get stuck in your throat, stopped on their way out by fear. Words that mean so much that your eyes water. Words that don’t mean enough. Words that other people fail to understand, words that fail to make you understand.

Words as a means to explore the world you see outside your window.

Words as a means of connecting with others, words as a means of weaving this intricate web of stories.

Words are sacred.

15 comments on “Words are sacred

1. Tess Star says:

I love your opening quote! Your post was so true!

2. ray032 says:

In the Beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    The same was in the Beginning with God.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    In him was Life; and the Life was the Light of men.
    And the Light shines in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
    The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

That was the true Light, which lights every man that comes into the world.
    He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
    He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

But as many as received him, to them he gave power TO BECOME the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

3. Good post ,although sometimes I like the old saying “a photo is worth a thousand words”:)

4. 9864b says:

“Words to memorize. Words hypnotize. Words to make my mouth exercise.” I hate when people put words in my mouth. No thanks, I brought my own. Right?

5. Joshauthor says:

Words can make a potential Osama Bin Laden to become another Martin Luther king Jr. Lovely write-up

6. Brad Miller says:

Thanks for the post. I agree with you that words are sacred and magical. Our understanding of language improves or limits our understanding of our internal and external world. Words matter. Thanks for reminding us of that today.

7. aloathersguide says:

Sometimes it’s the lack of words that hurt the most.

8. curioushart says:

Your article reminds me of something Kurt Vonnegut wrote: “The language is holy to me, which again shows how little I know about holiness. Literature is holy to me, which again shows how little I know about holiness. Our freedom to say or write whatever we please in this country is holy to me. It is a rare privilege not only on this planet, but throughout the universe, I suspect. And it is not something somebody gave us. It is a thing we give to ourselves.”

9. As the famous, confused Dane said; words, words, words.

10. Hope Nwosu says:

“Words can be one man’s only weapon.” Well written.
    I must add that some societies value words, more than others. For example spoken /written words are of great value to Finns. And are binding. But Nigerians are more flexible with words.
    Keep up the good work!

11. musicgirl19 says:

This is so amazing! Thanks for sharing this with us 💗

12. humblepie8 says:

I love your powerful words here on words