Who you are vs. Who you want to be

To paraphrase Hemingway, the goal is not to be better than anyone else, but to become better than your former self.
Because the truth is that there’s someone out there who’s better than you at anything you can imagine. It’s just how it is.

You can as competitive as you like, but you’ll only become bitter whenever you’ll be defeated.

The trick is to compete with yourself. To outgrow who you used to be, to push past your own limits and fears.

16 comments on “Who you are vs. Who you want to be

1. That’s true, I agree completely. When we overcome ourselves and become better for ourselves, we become better for others.

Good Morning !

2. I enjoyed this piece. Thanks for posting. I guess the challenge is finding a balance between competing with yourself to become better and accepting who you are.

3. Thank you . We shall continue to compete with our old selves to grow better our new selves.

4. Ananya says:

Very nice… A must read for all

5. jeffreybotah says:

Absolutely! I can say that my mindset has improved since I stopped comparing myself to others.

6. dhananjaybhati says:

In all candor, I agree. Competing and comparing with others wouldn’t​ make one feel satisfied with what he has achieved. Becoming your better self will.

7. Dehl says:

One friend of mine has given this piece of advice to my kids: “Always aim to be better than your parents”. Guess he meant it in a positive way. But it’s not what I would like them to do. I want them to better themselves for themselves.

8. voteyourlife says:

That is so true. It is like the mega secret to success

9. Nora says:

So true! I’m still working on this

10. Raksha says:

Your writing seems somewhat similar to mine and I am sure everyone will say this because you write so well, it feels personal!! Great great going please keep it up

11. You have said it all! There is nothing noble about being superior to some other person. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.

12. sreejanac says:

Agree.☺
    Competing with your last performance is the cleanest form of competition.

13. I agree completely. We only compete with ourselves.

14. If I only could always remember that, life would be easier.

15. Don’t know if you’ve ever seen the movie, “Eddie, the Eagle”. There’s a scene where Eddie (who is the last person in the world you’d expect to be a ski distance jumper), is talking with another Ski jumper. Anyway, when it comes to the sport, he isn’t even in the same class but the guy who’s talking to basically tells Eddie that Eddie understands what this all about. It’s not about beating the other guy, but beating yourself.

At the end of the day, that’s the only fight where we truly win and the only one really worth fighting.