Beliefs and dreams

believe“To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”Anatole France

I often say that art is a matter of faith. That you have to believe in what you’re doing. You have to believe in the world you’re creating, in yourself, in your capabilities. Leave no room for doubt, petty frustrations, or insecurities.

I also say that it’s all just a matter of hard work. But sometimes you hit a wall. You’ve run out of things to say. You feel void of motivation, inspiration, or courage. What once brought you great pleasure, it’s now a tedious task.

Yes. We need to act upon our dreams, but we must never forget to dream. To hope. To aspire. To believe.

It’s become increasingly difficult to write. Anything. I’d much rather spend my time sleeping or aimlessly wandering around town. I’d spend hours inside my head, remembering things that I’ve been trying to forget for some time now. I’d fall asleep, my heart filled with the sense of missing someone I never even met. My soul wishing for something extraordinary to happen.

I wanted to fast forward things… a year, two perhaps. But all I was doing was to wait.

I had hit a wall. I had stopped believing in my own dream. I had stopped dreaming altogether about all the great things that I set out to do.

It’s been a complicated year for me. Lots of heartache, lots of unnecessary drama. I got hurt by those whom I never thought capable of hurting me. And I hurt them in return. I lost people, and there was nothing I could do about it. I lost my way. I lost my ambition, my desire to fight. I just wanted for things to be good again. For life to be okay. At least okay.

But it doesn’t really work like that, does it?

You have to go out there and create the life you want. Whether it’s just okay or extraordinary, you’re the master of your destiny.

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And works in progress. And lots and lots of bitterness that you don’t want to let go of. And a bunch of unread e-mails. And bills to pay, and friends to talk to every once in a while.

And it wasn’t until recently that I realized that, just as John F. Kennedy once said, the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. To practice what you preach. To do what you know in your heart of hearts to be right. To always speak the truth, even if your voice shakes. And to never stop asking yourself who is it that you want to be.

Who am I going to be if I stop writing? Who am I going to be if I stop trying to change the world, one sentence at a time? Who am I going to be if all I do is write? If my words are not accompanied by actions.

Where am I going to go if I do not see the good in people and act as if that’s the only thing I see?

What’s going to happen if I do not see that we’re all equal? Different, but equal. That we all have greatness and magic inside of us.

What’s going to happen if I get so caught up in the mind numbing routine of my day to day life that I don’t even get a chance to ask myself these simple questions?

14 comments on “Beliefs and dreams

1. Gordomac says:

Always helpful!!! Thank you…

2. Becca says:

Thank you. Whenever I am struggling with my dreams I will think of this post.

3. mumslovelife says:

Meditation also brings you back to where your dreams began and might help loosen the blockage as well as help carve out the next steps along the road. Beating yourself up about not being disciplined enough, or focused enough however, won’t, unfortunately. Mult succes!

4. Thanks a lot ❤️❤️❤️

5. Kannan K K says:

Knowingly or unknowingly…I am in agreement with John F. Kennedy wordings…As you rightly descried in this article, Me too experienced…not now…I am much improved..

6. Lady B says:

🙂
    “You with the sad eyes
    Don’t be discouraged, oh I realize
    It’s hard to take courage
    In a world full of people
    You can lose sight of it all
    The darkness inside you
    Can make you feel so small
    […]
    So don’t be afraid to let them show
    Your true colors
    True colors are beautiful
    I see your true colors
    Shining through
    […]
    So don’t be afraid to let them show
    Your true colors
    True colors are beautiful
    Like a rainbow”
    (singing Cindy Lauper) 😉

7. Thank you for sharing! That’s a frustrating place to be… waiting and persevering often produces the strength we need for the next season. Thanks for being so honest :)!

8. Your words portrayed my feelings so beautifuly thank you for such a kind words.😊😊😊

9. bliss steps says:

~ Lovely post! Everything will be okay & you’ll be okay. Sometimes life’s okay, sometimes it’s not but in the end, all things will be well. More Power! 🙂 – Bliss, The Lurker’s List

10. jeffreybotah says:

Action is so important. I always see a clear difference in people who say words and those who act on them.

11. Hope Nwosu says:

Powerful words I must say.

12. plaintain1 says:

It’s interesting as for the past few days I’ve been feeling depressed, aimless and snappy. I don’t know why I am feeling this way, and it’s alien as though I am not myself. As the poster Mumslovelife says that taking up meditation might help. I have also considering meditation to see if it will give me the much needed support. Whatever solution you go for, I hope it will be of help. A good article.