Depression. Suicide. Courage.

The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling. – David Foster Wallace

Written by someone who ended up hanging himself, I think he knew what he was talking about.

Deciding to end one’s life needs quite a lot of contemplating on the subject. And, truth of the matter, we could debate the accuracy of such a description and all aspects of depression and suicide until the end of time, without arriving at a certain conclusion.

Maybe it’s got to do with emotional resilience. Maybe it’s got to do with neurological damage, with hormones and stuff.

We have yet to understand the human mind, and it is a wonder we are the only bit of this world aware of itself, and we haven’t died out as a result of being unable to cope with such a thing.

But this post is not about these sort of things. This post is about those who actively try to bellitle such things as depression or suicide. Truth be told, as much empathy as you have, you still can’t go inside someone’s brain and feel what they are feeling.

One man’s floor is another man’s ceiling.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, adverbs, and people who denied the truth for far too long.

Mental health is important.

How important you ask?

Well, our success is never generated by our abolities, but rather by our beliefs of said abilities.

What you think, you become.

I know, I know. Such cliches.

But sad part about cliches is that while you are rolling your eyes or dismissing them, they are inefably true.

The mind matters the most. Our way of thinking influences our behavior and actions.

Jumping off a bridge is the result of a pattern of thinking. A pattern that needs to be addressed. A person needs support and help, not a quick dismissal on the basis of “other people have it worse” or “toughen up” or “don’t be such a crybaby.”

It is important to be kind to others, not so they are kind to us in return, but because we know not what said people are going through.

I know, I know. I used a lot of cliches today. But they are more than true, and more than apt at describind a course of action that might address some of the harm we have inflicted upon ourselves and others.

Funny fact: we humans are the only ones who harm others for fun. For the enjoyment of it. For the ecstasy and the adrenaline rush.

And you think depressed people are the ones who have issues?

18 comments on “Depression. Suicide. Courage.

1. tab1121 says:

You are absolutely right! Great article!

2. Shiro says:

This is perfect!

3. Way to get people thinking! Thankfully people are realizing mental health is as important as any other health issue.

4. meghasworld says:

I really agree with the thought process implied in the post. I just finished watching a series on suicide and depression and it inspired me to pen down my thoughts. But as you said, ” One man’s roof is another man’s ceiling”. You really have to be in someone’s shoes to understand their situation. Another great post.

5. Terrant says:

Good insight about such a topic.

6. rmcalzada says:

I needed this immensely. I’ve been struggling with thoughts of suicide for a few days now, and I’m finding my footing in the company of my own love and peaceful awareness of the world around me. I’m thankful for the support of my friends. The strongest hearts and minds in the world grapple with these feelings at least once in their lives.

7. I like this! Good point about humans harming others……so true. Especially when the mind is a selfish one! Also love the point of providing a positive word to someone………cause we just dont know whats going on up there.!:)

8. OMG, and how… I am with you 100%.

9. Gloriam says:

Hmmm… Wow!! So true!! That fear is the biggest monster of all. I’ve seen anxiety and depression creeping into my loved ones. Very hard for some people to understand, but notheless- very real.

10. Lucy Hampton says:

Really compelling posts and the more we start to understand our brains the less we realise we know. Currently reading how we store pre-verbal memories and how they manifest as feeling and emotions that we unsurprisingly have difficulty naming. I am currently thinking about how much these impact on our emotional resilience – you’ve inspired a future blog post!

11. Honestly, I never thought I’ve been hit by depression. Since all of the people around me sees me as one strong woman an influencer, one inspiration until depression eats me. One reason is that I got bullied socially. It was my first time and it’s really hard. Until now I’m still coping depression is a serious matter not all people will understand but it’s really hard to be under that case. Hope everyone who is suffering from this will have enough courage to fight for it.

12. It’s true: mental health is possibly the most important aspect of health, and most of us can never really know the truth behind other people’s struggles.

13. Sharing for you. Excellent expression.

14. Marjorie Ann says:

This is a great article based on such a poignant quote. I started to write a comment but it grew incredibly long so I ended up writing an entire post. Thank you for sharing, these are such important concepts to point out and address and you did it so wonderfully. Here’s a link to my post if you’re interested:

I do have an objective note for your article though – some species of dolphins do appear murder other dolphins for fun and there have been records of wolverines killing animals outside of their territory for enjoyment.There are other examples of animals harming others of their species for the fun of it, we are not so far removed from our fellow creatures on this planet to be the only ones who murder or even harm others for a rush. While those comments on humans being the only creatures to harm each other for fun is certainly a catchy wrap-up to the ideas you presented, they aren’t accurate and that comment perpetuates the misinformation of humans being the only animals who are cruel for fun (even though, yes, we do terrible and awfully cruel things on such a large scale comparatively).

15. uplift2day says:

This is shear perfection and very timely. From the bottom of my beautifully bruised and broken heart- thank you for blogging and saving more lives than you know with your words. Be blessed!
    – Brittney